All Things Jarvis Johnson Thread

So gut feelings on Kill and Pitino's recruiting styles?

I feel like Richard learned from Rick, and it doesn't appear that Rick is a guy that consistently, or even ever, gets high profile names, like top 10 (I could totally be mistaken on that). I've got rose colored glasses on, but I don't feel like Richard is THAT sleezy, he's snake oil salesman for sure, just in my pure Gopher heart, I feel he is doing it the right way. I can sleep at night.

Kill - Definitely doing it the right way.

This would be a disappointing get for the Gophers.

This would be a disappointing get for the Gophers.

Looking back to the start of the thread... Curious do you still feel this way furry?

As I posted on the other thread- IMO I don't see signing two 4* guards helping attract Jarvis. Jarvis would be great, but I'm not going to be overly disappointed if he's not a gopher (unless he goes to WI).

I'd be very pleased with some of the other guys we are in the mix with, such as AI, Clarke, Nwankwo, etc.

Looking back to the start of the thread... Curious do you still feel this way furry?

As I posted on the other thread- IMO I don't see signing two 4* guards helping attract Jarvis. Jarvis would be great, but I'm not going to be overly disappointed if he's not a gopher (unless he goes to WI).

I'd be very pleased with some of the other guys we are in the mix with, such as AI, Clarke, Nwankwo, etc.

He is much improved in 19 months. The Gophers offered him at the right time.

I wasn't the only one to think this nearly two years ago, but I'll admit I was very wrong.

Although Dorsey is the better player, today. There is plenty of room on our roster.

I think the writing is on the wall with Jarvis.

Dupree, Dorsey, Lofton, Mason, and only 1 basketball.

I think the writing is on the wall with Jarvis.

Dupree, Dorsey, Lofton, Mason, and only 1 basketball.

This team has room for 6 ball handlers at a time. Lofton and McBrayer can be more of 3's without stretching the defensive needs too much.

Next year you could have

1 - Mason/Dorsey
2 - Lofton/Johnson
3 - Morris/McBrayer
and sprinkle McNeil in all 3 spots. Not one of them would need to contribute too much. Mix and match with the upper classmen getting the majority of the minutes.

Fair point. That is assuming that McBrayer projects as a SF. He looks long enough to develop into it.

Mason will play some off the ball as well. Unless Jarvis plays some PG, or beats out Lofton for a starting role, he would be limited in finding PT his freshman year.

Fair point. That is assuming that McBrayer projects as a SF. He looks long enough to develop into it.

Mason will play some off the ball as well. Unless Jarvis plays some PG, or beats out Lofton for a starting role, he would be limited in finding PT his freshman year.

Playing time issues wouldn't be any different at Wisconsin or UNLV, with these three as finalists I just don't see how this will be a major issue in his selection, if it is I would think there are a couple of other options he will be looking at.

Can we quit calling the 3 SF and getting mad when the person placed in the 3 slot isn't 6'6" or bigger. Pitino seems to be looking for a PG and 2 wings that are capable to handle the ball. And one might even argue that the necessity of a "PG" isn't exactly high on his list.

3 guys on the court that can catch and shoot, pick and roll, dribble drive, slash and dash combined with 2 dudes that can set picks, roll to the hoop, rebound, and defend the rim. Athleticism at every position, ability to score with 3 bounces from anywhere on the court.

Can we quit calling the 3 SF and getting mad when the person placed in the 3 slot isn't 6'6" or bigger. Pitino seems to be looking for a PG and 2 wings that are capable to handle the ball. And one might even argue that the necessity of a "PG" isn't exactly high on his list.

3 guys on the court that can catch and shoot, pick and roll, dribble drive, slash and dash combined with 2 dudes that can set picks, roll to the hoop, rebound, and defend the rim. Athleticism at every position, ability to score with 3 bounces from anywhere on the court.

Here, here. To me, shooting ability and athleticism are more important than height at the 3.

I pretty much stated the same thing in the McBrayer thread. In Pitino's system the PG, SG, and SF are somewhat interchangeable.

Can we quit calling the 3 SF and getting mad when the person placed in the 3 slot isn't 6'6" or bigger

Probably not, but that would be nice. I forget what poster and don't feel the need to search for it that didn't want Lofton or any other 2/3 to fill the last '14 roster spot that wasn't over 6'-4"...

Not 6'-3, not 6'-3 1/2" or 6'-4", but they seemed completely stuck on signing someone over 6'-4".

Probably not, but that would be nice. I forget what poster and don't feel the need to search for it that didn't want Lofton or any other 2/3 to fill the last '14 roster spot that wasn't over 6'-4"...

Not 6'-3, not 6'-3 1/2" or 6'-4", but they seemed completely stuck on signing someone over 6'-4".

Same people hopelessly grasping for a Mo/EE lineup where we feature some hi/lo activity too...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jarvis Johnson has set his fifth official visit, this one to Wichita State on the first weekend of October (Oct 3rd arrival)</p>— Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) <a href="https://twitter.com/RyanJamesMN/statuses/505020477912260608">August 28, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jarvis' offer list alone should keep him in the the top 150, probably the top 100. Perhaps setting up and announcing all of these OV's will remind some people of that.

Lots of guys don't take all of their planned visits. Hope Jarvis is one of them.

STrib: A glance at Minnesota's top recruiting targets in the 2015 class

Jarvis Johnson: Don't be fooled into believing the Gophers have any less interest in the DeLaSalle standout now that they've landed two backcourt pieces for the class -- Minnesota still very much considers Johnson a high priority in its guard-oriented system. The Gophers have been after the local recruit, who lives practically in Minnesota's backyard, since Pitino took the job, and have only intensified their efforts. Johnson, who has lauded Pitino's style of play, has four visits arranged to Minnesota, UNLV, Wisconsin and Baylor this fall, according to his brother, Ty. He likely won't be making a decision until November.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/273184771.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>U of M visit this weekend</p>— Jarvis Johnson (@MuhneyyChief_12) <a href="https://twitter.com/MuhneyyChief_12/statuses/506899686301503488">September 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

Rolling with the Town Car pickup. Classier than a limo.

Go Gophers!!

JJ's game reminds me a lot of Russ Smith of Louisville. I hope our staff is selling a Peyton Siva - Russ Smith type backcourt vision, with Johnson and Dorsey.

Let's get it done this weekend!

JJ's game reminds me a lot of Russ Smith of Louisville. I hope our staff is selling a Peyton Siva - Russ Smith type backcourt vision, with Johnson and Dorsey.

Let's get it done this weekend!

It's funny I actually think Jarvis would potentially = Siva and Dorsey = Smith. Russ Smith and from what I've seen of Dorsey are both the type of players that are going to keep teams on their heels with the way they attack fearlessly as well as give PGs headaches with the way they defend. While Jarvis and Siva play a bit more controlled games and are almost a calm to their guard partner's storm...though both of course can attack the basket at will. I do love that comparison though. I really hope we can land Jarvis. A Dorsey-Johnson backcourt could be scary good.

Both Jarvis and Lofton favorited this tweet.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom