All Things Jarvis Johnson Thread

STrib: Jarvis Johnson's story: Life, death and basketball

After collecting offers from a litany of schools, including Wisconsin, Michigan State, Iowa State and UCLA, Johnson committed to the Gophers in September, putting a shining local cap on the recruiting class.

Johnson, averaging a pedestrian 12.5 points a game in his senior season, is not one to light up a scoreboard. But the combo guard has the extra gear coaches and recruiters love, the kind of athleticism that pushes onlookers to the edges of their seats. He isn’t an automatic starter as a Gophers freshman, but the one-time national top-85 recruit (he has dropped in the ever-changing recruiting rankings) is still considered one of the state’s top prospects and a valuable three-star addition.

“He’s got that kind of end-to-end speed offensively and defensively that we wanted,” Pitino said. “[He] had some of these ‘wow factor’ moments. … The more I watched and we kind of figured out our team, we felt there was definitely a need for him.”

Through this back-and-forth Gophers season, Johnson has never wavered in the future he chose, the future he fought for.

“Now you know you have to go,” Moore told him. “Because they need you.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/294531201.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Jarvis Johnson's story: Life, death and basketball

After collecting offers from a litany of schools, including Wisconsin, Michigan State, Iowa State and UCLA, Johnson committed to the Gophers in September, putting a shining local cap on the recruiting class.

Johnson, averaging a pedestrian 12.5 points a game in his senior season, is not one to light up a scoreboard. But the combo guard has the extra gear coaches and recruiters love, the kind of athleticism that pushes onlookers to the edges of their seats. He isn’t an automatic starter as a Gophers freshman, but the one-time national top-85 recruit (he has dropped in the ever-changing recruiting rankings) is still considered one of the state’s top prospects and a valuable three-star addition.

“He’s got that kind of end-to-end speed offensively and defensively that we wanted,” Pitino said. “[He] had some of these ‘wow factor’ moments. … The more I watched and we kind of figured out our team, we felt there was definitely a need for him.”

Through this back-and-forth Gophers season, Johnson has never wavered in the future he chose, the future he fought for.

“Now you know you have to go,” Moore told him. “Because they need you.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/294531201.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Pretty amazing story and well written by Amelia. He should do well in this system.

Pretty amazing story and well written by Amelia. He should do well in this system.

Agreed. A very good piece. Is anyone concerned about the regression in Jarvis's scoring output this year?

Yes

Agreed. A very good piece. Is anyone concerned about the regression in Jarvis's scoring output this year?

Very concerned. Saw a couple DHS games this year and I thought he was the second best player on that squad. Doesn't mean he will be at the next level, though.

I've only seen Jarvis twice this year but it feels like he could do so much more on the offensive end if he looked to shoot more. Just my take though could be wrong

He has the athleticism but not the skillset to be a very good player. You cannot develop the athleticism.

He shouldn't start next year, and I am concerned about what appears to be a regression. However, he is worth the gamble. He could be dynamite in a few years. I don't expect much next year.

While I'm very optimistic about Dorsey and believe he'll be a nice asset right away next year, I am concerned with the play of Jarvis. He's rarely been a consistent player at either the AAU or HS level, and we all know how it goes in college for guys who rely off their athleticism. Not saying the potential isn't there, but he has a lot to prove

I've only seen Jarvis twice this year but it feels like he could do so much more on the offensive end if he looked to shoot more. Just my take though could be wrong
I haven't seen Jarvis play this year but I've heard this as well. I'm not really worried about the lower point totals from Jarvis this year and think he will have a nice impact next year. From what I've heard it seems like he is really looking to get his teammates involved more this year and less focused on his own numbers. Jarvis is a very good fit for the pressing style defense as well. I hope Jarvis and DLS get to the State Tournament again and I can see him play there in a couple weeks.

I haven't seen Jarvis play this year but I've heard this as well. I'm not really worried about the lower point totals from Jarvis this year and think he will have a nice impact next year. From what I've heard it seems like he is really looking to get his teammates involved more this year and less focused on his own numbers. Jarvis is a very good fit for the pressing style defense as well. I hope Jarvis and DLS get to the State Tournament again and I can see him play there in a couple weeks.

I hope to see the Hurt bros in thr state tournament too. They are #1 in their section, but need to win these last two games to get to there.

I think Jarvis has the ability to be a great offensive player if he looked to score more. He definitely has the handles and shooting ability. Right now he's looki to be more of a distributor

I would think it depends on the number of shots he is taking, if he is averaging 12 points on nine shots a game then it is fine, if he is taking 15 shots a game this might be indicative of a problem, I haven't seen him play this year but I think his development in running an offense and playing PG is much more important than the points he is averaging. With his athletic talents he will get his points, managing the rest of his game is what is going to make him a good college player.

I think Jarvis can turn into a Siyani Chambers type producer if he lives up to his potential. Not a huge scorer, but definitely capable of getting a bucket and being a good leader on the floor.

Don't get the skill set questions. He's a PG with great athleticism and the handle to go wherever he wants. He's also always had scorers around him and has never needed to be a high scorer for his team to win. Think about this: he's never played on a HS team with less than 3 other D1 starters. He's won 3 titles by distributing and being the 4th or 5th scoring option. Why change?

Don't get the skill set questions. He's a PG with great athleticism and the handle to go wherever he wants. He's also always had scorers around him and has never needed to be a high scorer for his team to win. Think about this: he's never played on a HS team with less than 3 other D1 starters. He's won 3 titles by distributing and being the 4th or 5th scoring option. Why change?

Yep and add to that a kid that can get out on the break and score right over the top of a defender when needed. Perfect for what Pitino does.

And I love the intangible that he knows how to win and expects to win. Most D1 players play on successful teams, but this kid has been on teams that have won 3 straight state championships and could make it 4. That's the kind of player I hope Pitino continues to recruit...guys who are driven to win.

He has the athleticism but not the skillset to be a very good player. You cannot develop the athleticism.

He shouldn't start next year, and I am concerned about what appears to be a regression. However, he is worth the gamble. He could be dynamite in a few years. I don't expect much next year.

Kimani grew up with Kenny Anderson and was coached by Kenny's brother. Hopefully between him and Ben Johnson they can accelerate Jarvis' skills rapidly. My concern is that it isn't like Thorson is a slouch of a HS coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If He's Al (Just healthier and quicker) I'm totally cool with that. I loved Al! :D

Nolen was plenty quick. If he is everything Al was plus a better shooter then I think most gopher fans would be very pleased. He already has a better looking stroke than Al's which was ugly.

I think Jarvis can turn into a Siyani Chambers type producer if he lives up to his potential. Not a huge scorer, but definitely capable of getting a bucket and being a good leader on the floor.

Hopefully Johnson doesn't regress as much as Chambers. Talk about a guy who has gotten worse each season. His best year by far was when he was a freshman.

Well there is sure something most d1 coaches have seen and liked with Jarvis with offers from Cal, Clemson, Wisconsin, Mich. St., UCLA, Maryland, UNLV, Iowa St. etc.

So Dorsey out and Springs is in. Is there any hope for Jarvis to be medically cleared to play this year...or any year for that matter going forward? It appears that he will be sticking with the team for at least another year. But is that going to be as a glorified team manager again?

I mean, I know it's not like we're going to need him with all the depth we have at the guard position next year; but still, this kid was supposed to be the next big thing for us two years ago...I'm sure there is still something he could help contribute to the team on the court, right?

So Dorsey out and Springs is in. Is there any hope for Jarvis to be medically cleared to play this year...or any year for that matter going forward? It appears that he will be sticking with the team for at least another year. But is that going to be as a glorified team manager again?

I mean, I know it's not like we're going to need him with all the depth we have at the guard position next year; but still, this kid was supposed to be the next big thing for us two years ago...I'm sure there is still something he could help contribute to the team on the court, right?

The only people who know if he will be medically cleared (he wasn't before, why would he be now?) are the U doctors. If anyone on here knew something and was willing to talk about it, there would already be discussion about it.

He plays quite a bit at lifetime - would be a really nice player to have. His outside shot seems to have really improved.

The only people who know if he will be medically cleared (he wasn't before, why would he be now?) are the U doctors. If anyone on here knew something and was willing to talk about it, there would already be discussion about it.

Yeah, I don't think anyone knows. It really looks like they don't. These things usually get plugged into a formula for insurers and the answer gets spit out. I don't think there is much nuance or art that goes into that process. So it's hard for me to imagine anything has changed since he wasn't cleared.

It's really a shame either way. If he's genuinely not healthy enough to play, that's awful. If it's some insurance red tape, that's a shame.

I am a huge football fan. I grew up playing and I've been a Gopher season ticket holder for years. That won't change. However, you can't tell me that Jarvis's decision to play basketball is a more dangerous decision (health-wise) than any of the guys playing football. Football is dangerous. There are players on our current roster who are going to have major health issues for their entire life because of football or the impact football has on the body. It's a face. Yet, they're all allowed to play.

Yeah, I don't think anyone knows. It really looks like they don't. These things usually get plugged into a formula for insurers and the answer gets spit out. I don't think there is much nuance or art that goes into that process. So it's hard for me to imagine anything has changed since he wasn't cleared.

It's really a shame either way. If he's genuinely not healthy enough to play, that's awful. If it's some insurance red tape, that's a shame.

I am a huge football fan. I grew up playing and I've been a Gopher season ticket holder for years. That won't change. However, you can't tell me that Jarvis's decision to play basketball is a more dangerous decision (health-wise) than any of the guys playing football. Football is dangerous. There are players on our current roster who are going to have major health issues for their entire life because of football or the impact football has on the body. It's a face. Yet, they're all allowed to play.

Right, but in those cases we're talking about perhaps a shortened life or lower quality of life. We're talking about joints and ligaments and tendons and concussions. In this case, we're talking about a vital organ. He could quite easily die on the court - in fact, he technically already did.

Top Bottom