New Stadium Update

My favorite bit of info:

The concession equipment is being installed on the main concourse.

I hope they have the touch button technology on the beverages fountains to dispense 2 ounces less than what the cup holds.

flasks.jpg

I hope they have the touch button technology on the beverages fountains to dispense 2 ounces less than what the cup holds. QUOTE]
I was very disapointed to hear Aramark got the contract, especially since the state did not place a neighborhood cost rider on the bid. A neighborhood rider prohibits the Arena from selling items for a price higher then it is available in the surrounding community. For examples, a 20 oz Coke would cost what it does at B.K. or McD's not $4.50. A hot dog and a bag of chips couldn't cost $7.00. Before any Ron Paul fans start talking about free enterprise should rule all, Aramark has very little labor costs, since the front counter workers will still be Voluteers working for non-profit.

I hope they have the touch button technology on the beverages fountains to dispense 2 ounces less than what the cup holds. QUOTE]
I was very disapointed to hear Aramark got the contract, especially since the state did not place a neighborhood cost rider on the bid. A neighborhood rider prohibits the Arena from selling items for a price higher then it is available in the surrounding community. For examples, a 20 oz Coke would cost what it does at B.K. or McD's not $4.50. A hot dog and a bag of chips couldn't cost $7.00. Before any Ron Paul fans start talking about free enterprise should rule all, Aramark has very little labor costs, since the front counter workers will still be Voluteers working for non-profit.

In another thread there is a discussion about which new stadium will be better--this is one area where I think the Twins will crush the Gophers. I haven't heard much of anything from the Gophers about interesting food options, and with Aramark on board, I'm not expecting much.

I've heard the same thing.

The food will be the same as every other stadium in the nation, nothing new or unique. Don't get me started on the alcohol for the wealthy only. Either make it available to all, or none.

The food will be the same as every other stadium in the nation, nothing new or unique. Don't get me started on the alcohol for the wealthy only. Either make it available to all, or none.

The alchohol policy is nothing new, Mariucci and Williams are the same way.

stalls

Perhaps they'll include sex stalls in the men's room for the Iowa football game :eek:

The alchohol policy is nothing new, Mariucci and Williams are the same way.

I still don't get the populist revolt against the "fat cats" over alcohol. As Ski U Master says, this is consistent with existing U policy and just as important it is consistent with almost all other NCAA schools. I never even thought for a second that I'd get access to beer unless I shelled out for a premium seat.

Anyone willing to drop 10K a year on a loge box can get all the booze they want as far as I'm concerned.

Quote: "I still don't get the populist revolt against the "fat cats" over alcohol. As Ski U Master says, this is consistent with existing U policy and just as important it is consistent with almost all other NCAA schools. I never even thought for a second that I'd get access to beer unless I shelled out for a premium seat. "

There is absolutely no logic in trying to justify something because "that is always the way it has been done", or "that is the way it is done in other places". That is how children justify their actions.

Allowing beer for some paying customers while denying it to other paying customers is elitism and extremely unfair any way you look at it. The new Gopher Stadium is not a private county club. It is very much a public facility that has been built with public funds. This policy is indefensible.

But it is like a private country club. In order to enjoy the amenities, you need to shell out extra money. It's just like anything else in life.
If you don't like it, you don't have to attend.
Personally, I don't care what they do. If beer is available for us common folks, I may enjoy 3-4 over the course of the season...But I can take it or leave it. Especially at $6 for a flat, watered-down Miller Lite.
I've never understood the obsession with drinking to excess at sporting events. A colossal waste of money. I've gotten in the habit of having 1-2 beforehand (at someplace cheap), then going out for dinner and drinks afterward. Try it sometime.

First chance to see the stadium.

I attended the Girls Basketball Tournament on Thursday so had a chance to walk by the new stadium and in one simple word. WOW!!!! I really liked the pillars with the names of each county really represents the entire state well. Cant wait to see a game played on the field.

UpnorthGo4 said:
The new Gopher Stadium is not a private county club.

No, but the club seats ARE private, therefore alcohol is available. The reason they are called "CLUB" seats is because you are literally purchasing a membership to a private club. It is even in the IRS tax code as such.

And, it is standard for college stadiums to do this. Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Purdue, Illinois, Missouri, Michigan State are just a small handful of contemporaries who do exactly what Minnesota plans to do. You charge $50,000 for a private suite, and you have the right to attempt whatever necessary to make it the ultimate experience. If you can't see the difference between that and folks like you and me kicking out $45 per game, then so be it. But, there is a clear distinction. In addition, serving alcohol in private suites and club rooms makes it easy to control alcohol consumption of customers before things get out of hand. Not so easy when you're trying to manage 50,000 people outdoors. Again, a clear distinction. I can't believe people even get worked up over this. Amazing really.

On the alcohol thing, something else that no one has brought up is that it is good to prohibit drinking in the general stadium areas because it good to discourage drunken collegians. If they let everyone drink, they exacerbate the problem with unruly drunken students that they already have. Of course, kids still sneak in booze, but they can only sneak in so much.

By restricting alcohol to private areas, they restrict the drunken out-of-control element at the games much more. Yes, there are still fools out there, but they're much more isolated and few and far between without alcohol on tap. I don't go to NFL games, but I've heard others who say they'd never bring kids because of all the crazy drunks. So I'm glad they restrict it. They only allow it in the private areas because they know it won't get out of control - if you paid hundreds or thousands of dollars to be at 1 game, would you risk getting tossed out of it? Even if you did, they could kick you out, and leave the other richies alone.

Whether the U has explicitly stated this is why the policy is in place, that is why it is: they don't want to encourage student drinking and they don't want to give up a lucrative revenue stream in a small area of the stadium where they know it won't be a problem.

Quote: "I still don't get the populist revolt against the "fat cats" over alcohol. As Ski U Master says, this is consistent with existing U policy and just as important it is consistent with almost all other NCAA schools. I never even thought for a second that I'd get access to beer unless I shelled out for a premium seat. "

There is absoulutely no logic in trying to justify something because "that is always the way it has been done", or "that is the way it is done in other places". That is how children justify their actions.

Allowing beer for some paying customers while denying it to other paying ustomers is elitism any way you look at it. The new Gopher Stadium is not a private county club. It is very much a public facility that has been built with public funds. This policy is absoulutey indefensible.

So the U following its own internal policies is now the same as a pouty child refusing to change their ways? :rolleyes: Give me a break.

Stop acting like you've been deprived of some basic human need/right. As other posters have said, the primary reason is to control student drinking. The policy is completely defensible...you just don't happen to like it. There is no reason that anyone should feel entitled to get to drink at a game. I like that I can get a beer at the Metrodome. But I don't think I'm entitled to it. If you want to drink that bad just sneak it in or pack the drinks in beforehand. That's what I'm going to do. Its cheaper anyway.

The fact that public money was used on TCF has no bearing on the situation. The U has every right to control how alcohol is dispensed at their facilities. The fact that other Univerisities choose to do the same is strong logic. It means there is a consensus from the risk management professionals that restricting who gets alcohol is a net positive with regards to student binge drinking, etc.

just my take on this and it wont be popular but binge drinking is way over the top on how the media goes after it like it is a plague...not many students do it, and the ones who do do it are going to get their booze in one way or the other. Gopher Elephants statement that they can sneak only so much booze in is inaccurate...Kids can easily bring in full water bottles full of hard stuff into the games..Granted these that get that hammered are dumb but maybe providing beer instead of kids bringing in 100 proof captain is a better alternative. Yes those same kids might bring in booze anyway (but then whats the point of the ban) i dont think its fair to deprive nice refreshing beer to thousands of rsponsible non students because a few get hammered on hard stuff but then letting the rich drink

I'm not going to say right or wrong for either way, but has anyone figured out how much revenue the U is sacrificing for this policy? In other words how much money would we make if they sold beer to everyone? It has to be a ton of money.

thats my point exactly...your losing a ton of potential profits in order to mainly curb binge drinking when the kids that are binge drinking (not that many) will sneak more than enough booze in...they will prolly just raise touition to make up for it anyways

I'm not going to say right or wrong for either way, but has anyone figured out how much revenue the U is sacrificing for this policy? In other words how much money would we make if they sold beer to everyone? It has to be a ton of money.

pretty sure the ncaa doesn't allow school owned, on campus stadiums to sell alcohol to the general public. the alcohol policy that the U of M is implementing in TCF (which is already in place at williams and mariucci) is no different from how the rest of the big ten does it in their stadiums. for example the alcohol policies at wisconsin and michigan are the same as what it will be at minnesota.

so get over it already! drink up before hand if you are not sitting in the areas where you are allowed to purchase and can't wait to drink again until after the game.

Of course, kids still sneak in booze, but they can only sneak in so much.

When I went to school I used to be able to sneak in liter bottles to the metrodome pretty regularly for gopher and twins games and would have no problem with it. You can sneak quite a lot past security.

I for one, will be HAPPY that the beer vendors will no longer be blocking my view.

When I went to school I used to be able to sneak in liter bottles to the metrodome pretty regularly for gopher and twins games and would have no problem with it. You can sneak quite a lot past security.

Yeah, since 2006 all students get a fairly thorough pat-down before we enter the stadium. Usually I have to take out my cell phone just so they know its not a little liquor bottle in my pocket. So i doubt a liter of anything gets past them (at the student entrance anyways).

Twins games are still lax though.

I don't go to Gopher football games because they serve alcohol. Alcohol at the metrodome is one very small part of game day experience, and I'm very happy to trade a beer for TCF stadium. I still have the option to pay money to join a club like anybody else, but I'm not going to. While I like beer, I don't need alcohol to have a good time or to cheer loudly. Too many Minnesotans depend on alcohol to cheer loudly and stand up. I like gopher games because there is less of a focus on alcohol then Viking games. I can't wait to take my daughter to games when she get's older and I'd prefer not to have drunk people everywhere.

The University can't allow everyone to drink on campus, and I fully support suites and clubs that allow alcohol. That's where the money is made, not our cheap seats. Capitalism is about being able to buy things if you've got the money and this is a win-win for the program. I thought everybody knew they did this at Williams and Mariucci.

I hope to have a beer or two before the game in Stadium Village or at a tailgating area before the game, but if I don't I'm still happy as there is so much more to game day then that. I love gopher basketball games and I typically don't have a beer before games.

Yeah, since 2006 all students get a fairly thorough pat-down before we enter the stadium. Usually I have to take out my cell phone just so they know its not a little liquor bottle in my pocket. So i doubt a liter of anything gets past them (at the student entrance anyways).

Twins games are still lax though.

you can still get in one if not two water bottles full at any gopher event basketball or football..are they actually going to make more money just selling it to the club members though??unless i am missing something i find that hard to believe...either way its going to be a blast

Minnesota

is almost spelled out on the upper deck west side.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dito...I once had 5 liter wine bladder strapped to my back for a game in the Dome as a student (turned out to be a terrible idea, btw).

If people want to drink they will find a way...Unfortunately, for students especially, that may mean drinking even more before hand in the res halls and at homes (tailgating won't even be an option for them really) to have enough of a buzz to last them the whole game...pretty much the opposite impact of reducing binge drinking.

I would curious to see if the cost benefit of increased club seating to have access to booze during the game versus beer sales to everyone.

In another thread there is a discussion about which new stadium will be better--this is one area where I think the Twins will crush the Gophers. I haven't heard much of anything from the Gophers about interesting food options, and with Aramark on board, I'm not expecting much.

The contract had to go to ARAMARK because the University has a contract with them to do all of their foodservice.

ARAMARK does what the client asks of them and what they believe will maximize profits. They actually do some cool things at stadiums like having a Legal Seafood at Fenway Park. If the Gophers asked ARAMARK to put in a Buffalo Wild Wings within the stadium and BWLD was willing to franchise in a stadium (assuming it doesn't break an existing franchise agreeement I don't know why they wouldn't) you would be able to get wings in the stadium. You may not realize this but every foodservice & vending option in a U of M building is run by ARAMARK. That includes putting Chick-Fil-A, Starbucks, etc in Coffman because ARAMARK believed those products would sell the best in the location.

Centerplate has the Metrodome contract (through the Vikings), however, the Twins will be switching vendors in the new stadium. The Twins have already signed a contract with Sportservice (a subsidiary of Delaware North) to be their vendor at Target Field.

I hope we will get improved gameday food at the new stadium, but it will probably be better than what we got at the dome. There are a lot of stadiums which pride themselves on the quality of the food at the game - we don't have to be one where the vendors offer crap, and we can't get them out of there.

I'd like to see Pronto Pups at the game, it would be a huge seller.

This is for all you guys that are so willing to give up on beer in Gopher Stadium:

From Charlie Walter's Column in todays Pioneer Press: "The State Legislature might consider a bill that would allow any ticket buyer, not just those in luxury suites and premium seating areas of the Gophers' TCF Bank Stadium, access to beer and wine."

The Regents can only enact policies that tax paying citizens allow them to get away with. If enough noise is made by regular season ticket holders there can be beer in Gopher Stadum come September.

The contract had to go to ARAMARK because the University has a contract with them to do all of their foodservice.

ARAMARK does what the client asks of them and what they believe will maximize profits. They actually do some cool things at stadiums like having a Legal Seafood at Fenway Park. If the Gophers asked ARAMARK to put in a Buffalo Wild Wings within the stadium and BWLD was willing to franchise in a stadium (assuming it doesn't break an existing franchise agreeement I don't know why they wouldn't) you would be able to get wings in the stadium. You may not realize this but every foodservice & vending option in a U of M building is run by ARAMARK. That includes putting Chick-Fil-A, Starbucks, etc in Coffman because ARAMARK believed those products would sell the best in the location.

Centerplate has the Metrodome contract (through the Vikings), however, the Twins will be switching vendors in the new stadium. The Twins have already signed a contract with Sportservice (a subsidiary of Delaware North) to be their vendor at Target Field.

I pray and hope that it is not the same quality of food that is currently provided at Williams Arena by Aramark but I fear it will be. The U should be ashamed of the terrible excuse of food it provides there, dome dogs exceed those by a long shot.

Top Bottom