$25 deal for Gopher Football...

GopherLady

Reaction score
Ok, this is the one thing that infuriates me more than anything:

25 bucks gets you a @GopherFootball ticket, hot dog & Coke!
https://www.mygophersports.com/Online/mealdeal

I know it's an effort to sell tickets, but you need to APPRECIATE your season ticket holders paying full price for tickets. There is absolutely no incentive for season ticket holders to renew, when they know they can wait and get a discounted ticket, plus a coke and hot dog.

If they want to offered discounted seats, offer them to season ticket holders (or at least make an effort to 1st). Send out a message that they can bring a guest for 1/2 price, or something like that. Still same idea trying to sell extra seats, but not devaluing their tickets.

No offense to the people buying these packages, but they are better off paying $5-10 on the street for the two games that this deal is for. I imagine that most tickets on the street from non-scalpers will be in the $5-10 range at the most for New Hampshire and Western Michigan, so if the U is able to fleece $25 a person for either of these two games I'd tip my hat to them.

Well, it is only for the two games with the lowest demand for tickets, the New Hampshire and Western Michigan games. The season ticket holders could have passed on season tickets to get this deal, but they proabably are really more interested in the Big Ten games. They used to have these promotions all the time at the Metrodome. If you have to sell tickets, you have to sell ticket.

You (GL) must not have good seats. Obviously these are the remaining upper deck corners or endzone. I pay a lot for my season tix and don't have an issue with the U selling these remaining seats at discount. Nice way for families to see a game.

GL: I get your overall point. But all a STH is missing out on is a hot dog and coke. Otherwise they are charging the same price we as STH pay for the ticket. IMO, that's not a huge loss or much of a devaluing. I think your point about offering it it STH first is worth following in the future, but otherwise I think many STH would prefer to see TCF sold out than they care about getting a mediocre hotdog and a 16oz pop.

Gopher Lady, maybe you should show them an Ally Bank commerical. Especially the one about new customers getting an ice cream cone because they are new, while established customers get nothing.

It doesn't infuriate me at all. As a season ticket holder I've been treated pretty well.
1- I've been able to upgrade my seat locations each year with no hassle.
2- Other than a few minor glitches the first year at TCF (which is common at most new facilities), my experience has been outstanding.
3- I have received phone and email updates about important dates and events, including offers on tickets to other Gopher sports that I took advantage of.
4- Last summer I received a tour of the stadium and a nice dinner on the plaza.
5- I was able to hold Floyd.

I think deals like this are a good way to get fans into the stadium and to sell some tickets that otherwise won't be purchased. I can easiliy sacrifice a hot dog and a coke.
I get tired of people bit**ing all the time about wanting this and that. My group of 12 has a fantastic time at every home game. If you don't like it, don't go!

I'm less concerned with the season ticket appreciation aspect than the fact that this is a LAZY campaign and EMBARRASSING to our University and football program.

Well hey, you don't want to see our team or our beautiful stadium, but throw in a hot dog and a Coke and you're there! This basically equates to the fact that a hot dog and Coke are seen as valuable commodities in relationship to our football team.

I go to nearly every game for under STH face value, gotta love Stubhub.

I'm less concerned with the season ticket appreciation aspect than the fact that this is a LAZY campaign and EMBARRASSING to our University and football program.

Well hey, you don't want to see our team or our beautiful stadium, but throw in a hot dog and a Coke and you're there! This basically equates to the fact that a hot dog and Coke are seen as valuable commodities in relationship to our football team.

Almost every sporting event I have ever been to has a deal like this taking place. That's a reach at best.

I like it, but like Stan said, better prices (and better seats, probably) can be found on the street.

Almost every sporting event I have ever been to has a deal like this taking place. That's a reach at best.

I've been to all 12 Big Ten stadiums and never seen it anywhere else. Northwestern would at least throw in a filet mignon and a nice Merlot.

Pro sporting event maybe. On this one I have to side with NateDawg in terms of B1G football...this is the sort of thing Wisconsin uses for it's women's volleyball, bball, and hockey games (literally, they advertise these on the radio during those seasons quite frequently here).

Again, I'm not horribly bothered by it but it is another example of Gopher football being marketed as pro-sports lite.

GopherLady said:

25 bucks gets you a @GopherFootball ticket, hot dog & Coke!
https://www.mygophersports.com/Online/mealdeal

I know it's an effort to sell tickets, but you need to APPRECIATE your season ticket holders paying full price for tickets. There is absolutely no incentive for season ticket holders to renew, when they know they can wait and get a discounted ticket, plus a coke and hot dog.

If they want to offered discounted seats, offer them to season ticket holders (or at least make an effort to 1st). Send out a message that they can bring a guest for 1/2 price, or something like that. Still same idea trying to sell extra seats, but not devaluing their tickets.

I agree with GL on this. Year after year the season ticket holders pay over market value for tickets only to see the university ignore them and offer deals to those who haven't contributed or supported the athletic department as they have. At some point you have to ask yourself, why should I pay more for a ticket when I get get better tickets for less on the street and still attend all the games, when I am not appreciated by the school. Do I need a free hot dog and coke, no. I should however be offered it first before someone who is not a season ticket holder.

I go to nearly every game for under STH face value, gotta love Stubhub.

+1

I've probably been to about 100 Gopher BB and FB games over the past 20-25 years and I have never paid a dime for tickets. Always know someone with freebies. Last year, someone in my office had 6 for the Wisconsin game at TCF and nobody used them. They are probably still sitting in our receptionists drawer. Have an uncle who owns his own small business and his B-ball tickets go unused 1/2 the games. Not sure why he wastes the money but I don't mind the free tickets in the lower level on occassion. I get 2-3 texts before every home FB game asking if I want a free ticket(s).

Purdue is selling tickets for $20 for their home opener but you have to buy at least 4 as well. No hot dog or coke though, shoot.

I don't know about the rest of you but my season tickets have a face value of $310 and I paid $275 for them.

+1

I've probably been to about 100 Gopher BB and FB games over the past 20-25 years and I have never paid a dime for tickets. Always know someone with freebies. Last year, someone in my office had 6 for the Wisconsin game at TCF and nobody used them. They are probably still sitting in our receptionists drawer. Have an uncle who owns his own small business and his B-ball tickets go unused 1/2 the games. Not sure why he wastes the money but I don't mind the free tickets in the lower level on occassion. I get 2-3 texts before every home FB game asking if I want a free ticket(s).

Snatch those up next time and see if anyone on GopherHole wants them.

We used the 4/$44 with coke and dog a lot back at the damn dome when our kids were little It was a Family Section promo but we basically sat pretty much where we wanted

GH is full of posts with people complaining and expressing concern about empty seats at TCF and how can we attract more fans. Well............doesn't mean we have to like it but the UM is trying to fill some seats.

Although this doesn't infuriate me, I do like the idea of offering a deal to season ticket holders to bring someone else along...although where would that person sit. Regardless, I'm just glad they're making an effort to fill the stadium.

SkyUMaster

ln case you read this you have a private message.

I don't know about the rest of you but my season tickets have a face value of $310 and I paid $275 for them.

How many cokes and/or hotdogs is that?
Do I have an option of paying $310 and getting hot dogs and cokes?

Here is my take. Those tickets sold for those two games will only make my experience at those games better because there will be less empty seats. So that is a win for me. Also, you are getting people into the game that may not have otherwise, and you just may earn some fans that end up buying season tickets. This is also perfect timing with the State Fair coming up. People from around the state go thru the U building and stop at the athletics building. If they see a great entertainment option at a good price, they will buy up a pair of tickets and go to the game. Next thing you know, you have more fans. Every bit counts.

You guys are ridiculous. You can find a reason to complain about every single thing the "U" does.

I have been a season ticket holder my whole life and I know the Season Ticket Base is the foundation for any program. We don't have a massive STH population right now, so we need to do whatever is necessary to get people into the stadium at any cost. If that means us STH's pay a premium versus those who sit in the undesired locations and get to see our squad play a game than so be it, I take pride in being a STH.

On top of that, I would rather see the stadium filled with people who paid less than me to get in but only have a free pop and dog to show for having a worse view of Quise scoring TD's all year than me. Seeing those massive concrete areas in the student section and rows of empty seats around TCF is almost as hurtful to the program as a loss and I would rather someone gets in on the "cheap" than to have to look up from my season tickets and have that gut-wrenching negative feeling I get when I see TCF half empty.

We have so much potential as a program, we just need people to get a chance to see it for themselves. I don't know about you, but if getting a family of five to a game for a few bucks less than myself means giving them the opportunity to become life-long Gopher Fans then it is worth it to me.

If you believe in your squad and its potential to be great than you won't worry about the "de-valuation" of your season ticket, because you either believe it will pay off in the future or you are dedicated to the program beyond saving a few bucks a couple fall Saturdays a year to see your favorite team take the field.

The Twins use the same promo. I see no problem with it. Mom and Dad and the two youngin's. Get a bang for their buck.

I agree with what other have said in regards to doing whatever you can to get people to the game.

Most average fans aren't going to just buy season tickets. They need to be there a couple times and see the stadium/team/experience before committing $300+ (x however many in their family). If that means that you need to discount tickets to get them hooked; as a season ticket holder, I say go for it!

Top Bottom