Where is your local Gopher bar? Where can out-of-town Gophers find the game?

emann

Reaction score
If I was in Chicago for the UNLV game, is there a Minnesota bar that would be showing the Gopher game? NYC? Portland?

I wanted to know if we can start a thread offering the different places that are Gopher-friendly on Saturdays. If you're no longer around Minneapolis, is there a place where you go to watch the Gophers? If you're in outstate Minnesota, is there a good place to watch the Gophs?

If we get enough responses, we can make an alphabetical list; it would be cool for people when they are traveling and watch to watch the game. If the only place is a general Buffalo Wild Wings, that's fine, but we're also looking for any Minnesota-centric bars that might be out there.

I'll start it off.

When I was in Denver, I watched the 2009 USC game at Three Dogs Tavern, located at 3390 W. 32nd Ave. There was about a dozen or so people watching the game; the group was set up by one of the alumni members out in Denver.

I move to Indianapolis this coming tuesday, anyone know of a good Gopher bar in Indy so I can catch games this fall?

If I was in Chicago for the UNLV game, is there a Minnesota bar that would be showing the Gopher game? NYC? Portland?

I wanted to know if we can start a thread offering the different places that are Gopher-friendly on Saturdays. If you're no longer around Minneapolis, is there a place where you go to watch the Gophers? If you're in outstate Minnesota, is there a good place to watch the Gophs?

If we get enough responses, we can make an alphabetical list; it would be cool for people when they are traveling and watch to watch the game. If the only place is a general Buffalo Wild Wings, that's fine, but we're also looking for any Minnesota-centric bars that might be out there.

I'll start it off.

When I was in Denver, I watched the 2009 USC game at Three Dogs Tavern, located at 3390 W. 32nd Ave. There was about a dozen or so people watching the game; the group was set up by one of the alumni members out in Denver.

I was just about to ask a forum for this as I will be spending a good chunk of the fall in Colorado. Thanks!

Yea I'm moving to London in Sept. anybody have any clue if there is something there?

San Diego has Guava Beach bar in Mission beach mainly for Vikings games but they will support a group of Gophers. Also the Regal Beagle in Mission Hills on India St is owned by a Minnesotan and supports all MN sports on the TV. The only problem out here is those 11:00 games are 9:00 games so I am usually just watching in my PJs with a bowl of cereal and a beer.

The Curse near Wrigley in Chicago, we stopped there after the NW game last year. Bathroom situation is a little odd but overall a good place, lots of gopher fans.

When I was in Pasadena there were a few Gophers fans in Barney's Beanery.

Wish I would have known about that place when I lived in Denver.

I now live in St. Louis and I occasionally watch games at The Post sports bar...any other Gophers fans here?

Yea I'm moving to London in Sept. anybody have any clue if there is something there?

London might be tougher. I think you have the ability to get BTN2GO access as an expat, so look into that. When I studied there in 2003 there was a bar in Piccadilly (the name of which I can't remember) that catered to North American expats and played live US sports. I watched the NCAA tourney there at all hours of the night and early morning. Great time. No guarantee they'd have all the games though.

The other thing I'd suggest is that you could purchase a Slingbox and get a Gopher fan friend to agree to let you have it set up at their house. This way you can stream the game directly from their cable box to your computer. I say "get a Gopher friend" because as I recall, the Slingbox requires the TV that is connected to that box to watch the same thing as the person watching the streamed show on their computer.

Lastly, congrats! I absolutely love London and am kind of jealous to be honest. :)

Not sure if they'll continue this season, but Nutty's in Sioux Falls, SD, shows the Gopher games weekly on their big screen thanks to JoeDirt.

I am in Beijing. The only sports bars that like American football are for Texas fans. At least the ones I know about only play games where one of the teams resides in Texas. I see a lot more rugby on the screens at most of the places I frequent.

Man, how I miss baseball and football.

Normal tv has Basketball and Soccer on constantly though. Lots of different leagues to choose from too. Not too mention ping pong, badminton, snooker, and diving.

At least I don't have to watch cricket!

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

The Curse near Wrigley in Chicago, we stopped there after the NW game last year. Bathroom situation is a little odd but overall a good place, lots of gopher fans.

I will be in Chicago during the Gopher v jNW game (bad timing). Would this bar be worth the 30 min ride on the L from Grant Park or would I be better off just going to a bar near my hotel?

I need this thread! I'm in the San Francisco Bay area (east bay to be exact) and I need a Gopher bar.

The other thing I'd suggest is that you could purchase a Slingbox and get a Gopher fan friend to agree to let you have it set up at their house. This way you can stream the game directly from their cable box to your computer. I say "get a Gopher friend" because as I recall, the Slingbox requires the TV that is connected to that box to watch the same thing as the person watching the streamed show on their computer.

This is worth exploring. I haven't researched it, but I recall talking to a guy that had a slingbox attached to nothing but the cable and internet access. He already had a DVR and used this solely for viewing stuff on the road. As a matter of fact, I think he had it housed at his cabin which was out of the blackout area for Vikings games. He wanted it there just in case there was a local blackout.

In downtown L.A. there is a bar called the Golden Gopher. Unfortunately, it is in no way a sports bar. They make a great Old Fashioned, though.

Love the thread, emann. I'm moving to Kansas City this fall and would be looking for a good bar where I can go to watch games. Thanks.

Kansas City - Any gopher bars down here?

I'm hoping Max Shortell (I learned from BTN that you have to say his name as Max Shortell he true freshman from Shawnee Mission, KS) gets at least one year of starting to perhaps boost some Gopher love down in this area. I'm not so sure Drew Goodger will ever be a star but I can hope he excells.

Love the thread, emann. I'm moving to Kansas City this fall and would be looking for a good bar where I can go to watch games. Thanks.

If your interested in perhaps getting some more maroon and gold in a bar let me know. I know of some bars here that have the Big 10 network will probably be more then happy to hook us up.

If you ask, a lot of places might put one of their screens to a Gophers game, especially if you have a group of people. Getting Gopher games in bars used to be a problem at times when some of the bars didn't have the tier that had the Big Ten Network.

Kansas City - Any gopher bars down here?

I'm hoping Max Shortell (I learned from BTN that you have to say his name as Max Shortell he true freshman from Shawnee Mission, KS) gets at least one year of starting to perhaps boost some Gopher love down in this area. I'm not so sure Drew Goodger will ever be a star but I can hope he excells.

That would be awesome Paulser! It'll be nice to have someone to cheer with. I have a few trade shows in KC prior to the move. I'll have to let you know when I'll be in town.

As of a few years ago, in Boston they had game watch parties at The Greatest Bar, but I'm not sure if that's still active or not.

If anyone knows of gopher bar in Berlin let me know. I might be moving there in 2014.

I will be in Chicago during the Gopher v jNW game (bad timing). Would this bar be worth the 30 min ride on the L from Grant Park or would I be better off just going to a bar near my hotel?

Definitely yes.

The Curse has changed its name to Red Ivy Sports Club and made some significant upgrades. Same owners and still the official Gopher bar in Chicago.

We have a nice crew going, I'd be surprised if it's not the biggest out of town Gopher bar in the country.

I live in Southern California and just had lunch at Barney's Beanery in Pasadena. Great spot on three floors. 32 TV's at the bar!! Many more at every booth and on the walls. BTN is on. They also have two Barney's in Santa Monica and one in Burbank. Can't wait for the season to start. Like to hear from other goper fans in the Pasadena area.

Go Gophers

I live in Southern California and just had lunch at Barney's Beanery in Pasadena. Great spot on three floors. 32 TV's at the bar!! Many more at every booth and on the walls. BTN is on. They also have two Barney's in Santa Monica and one in Burbank. Can't wait for the season to start. Like to hear from other goper fans in the Pasadena area.

Go Gophers

I'm in Southern California quite a bit as well. I live in Mpls and So Cal, traveling back and forth for work. I spend more time in the fall in Mpls than California (because of college football season), so I rarely go to a Gopher bar to see the games. However, I went to one a couple years ago in Hollywood, but I can't remember the name.

Is red ivy a purdue bar? Their site says they show all purdue games.

I need this thread! I'm in the San Francisco Bay area (east bay to be exact) and I need a Gopher bar.

My friend said the "Final Final" might be a Vikings bar, but I checked and it seems that it's a Nebraska bar on Saturdays.

Yelp has "The Bell Tower" on Nob Hill as a Vikings bar, but I'm unsure if that Minnesota love carries over to Saturday. Here's the place's page:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-bell-tower-san-francisco?q=minnesota+vikings

Thanks everyone from your replies. Let's keep getting this out there -- I know there are Gopher fans who probably think they are the only ones in their town.

Awesome, thanks for the info! Bell Tower sounds like it might not be a bad bet on saturdays.

Red Ivy Sports Club is attached to the Red Ivy. They are 2 different bars but are attached to each other. The Red Ivy is a Purdue Bar with the Sports Club as the Gopher Bar.

RISC is the official bar for the Chicago Gophers, UMAA's Chicago Chapter.

Drink specials usually start at the time of the game or 3 hours before the game if it's a late start.

Check out www.chicagogophers.com about the specials, I will be updating them once we have them finalized.

Top Bottom