2013 Recruits - UPDATED 3/20: Gavin Schilling picks Michigan State

Every class needs an anchor, and Ellenson and Buggs are not difference-makers. They both could turn into pretty decent college players, but neither demands attention on the floor.

I agree that Ellenson and Buggs might not be anchors, but most of the other classes have/had "anchors."

2011 - Andre Hollins, Coleman might emerge into a star
2010 - Austin Hollins, Mo Williams is only a sophomore and might develop into a star
2009 - Rodney Williams, Trevor Mbakwe, Cobbs and White both emerged into anchors at Cal/ISU
2008 - Devoe Joseph and Ralph Sampson III might not have been anchors, but both had good careers at Minnesota

Alex Foster, Gavin Schilling, Alvin Ellis, Chris Perry, Vitto Brown, Tory Miller, Nigel Hayes, and Sterling Brown are not low-level 3 star recruits. They all have offers from multiple BCS schools, and Sterling Brown and Tory Miller are the only ones without an offer from a team ranked in the top 25 last year.
Sterling Brown is top 100 recruit...

If you are unranked 3 stars, you are a low-level 3-star recruit IMO. None of the guys Tubby is recruiting are even ranked on a regional level. None (or very few) are ranked within their particular position. You have to be in the top 12 to 15 to become a high level 3-star recruit.

1st off I agree. Tubby does love the "good" 3* players with high character & no drama who fit roles in his system. His recruiting is much like Coach Kill's, not sexy, never gonna wow you with star power. That was the big gripe at Kentucky. We also know Tubby mostly refuses to bathe in the AAU cesspool, instead focusing on local kids & high character national guys who's Father's/Family's are successful & won't be lured by free shoes for life, a car or the fact that they don't need to study. Part of me respects his approach, part of me hates it.

I also agree both Buggs & Ellenson are nice cast members, future starters, but neither are stars, so that class does lack an anchor.

I think the plan is to showcase Trevor/Rodney/Dre this year, hopefully have a high-profile season & attract a higher caliber of recruit NEXT year. I'd consider it a successful recruiting year if we signed Washington (If he's in this crop) & banked a couple schollies for next year. I call it the "All-in" approach & everyone should embrace it because if we have a great season the recruits will come & all is well. If we underachieve given the talent he's got to work with, then Tubby's probably gone & leaves the new coach with a star PG & a well stocked shelf full of solid, upperclassmen.

Also, look in the mirror & ask yourself...why would a top-150 player (unless he's local) sign with a team that's 3 years removed from the NCAA dance & has among the crappiest facilities in the B1G?

Tubby Smith loves him a "good" unranked, low-level 3-star recruit doesn't he? Man, it's frustrating. We all saw the talent this guy has the ability to bring in, but unless Washington signs, it will be two straight seasons without a 4-star signee (Buggs and Ellenson are 3 stars). I just feel that a B1G institution like Minnesota with a borderline HoF coach should be able to lock up one top 150 prospect every season. I feel as though Tubby is settling for guys he thinks will sign instead of thoroughly engaging high-level players. Every class needs an anchor, and Ellenson and Buggs are not difference-makers. They both could turn into pretty decent college players, but neither demands attention on the floor.

fwiw, Tubby made a hell of a run at Cory Joseph (don't care if it's misspelled) & Harrison Barnes. We're in a drop off right now because of on-court results, it'll come back our way or Tubby will be gone.

I feel as though Tubby is settling for guys he thinks will sign instead of thoroughly engaging high-level players.

Martez Walker (MI) strikes me as a guy that would fit in well with the Gopher program. Similar in some respects to wing Austin Hollins... a bit more aggressive and able on the boards, though. And of course, Austin is a very efficient offensive player - not going to be easily replaced when he leaves in two years.

RyanJamesMN Ryan James
Alex Foster is visiting Auburn the weekend of October 5th.

Foster also has a visit set up with us on September 21st.

Not really new news, but some Gavin Schilling tweets:

RyanJamesMN Ryan James
Cedric Hankerson/Gavin Schilling/Nigel Hayes confirm Minnesota officials Sept 7th that we've been talking about at @MinnesotaRivals all Aug.

jerrymeyer247 Jeremy Meyer
RT @RyanJamesMN: Gavin Schilling just confirmed he will be at Minnesota for an official visit the weekend of September 7th

ISURecruitLists ISU Recruiting Info
2013 Vitto Brown will officially visit Nebraska on Sep 1 per @HuskerExtraBR. #Cyclones, Neb, Wisc, Minn, K-State offers http://t.co/0GGdcDYP

Brown has said he plans to visit Iowa State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Kansas State, but his Nebraska visit is the only one he has set up so far.

Gopher recruits with official visits. Rankings are according to Scout.com:
Gavin Schilling, 3 stars, NR in position
Cedric Hankerson, 2 stars, NR in position
Nigel Hayes, 3 stars, NR in position
Vitto Brown, 3 stars, NR in position

As you can see, none of the above players are even ranked within their specific position. Hell, Hankerson is a damn 2 star recruit. Yes, I love guys that bring high character and get straight A's as much as the next, but it's pretty simply: IF YOU HAVE MORE TALENTED BASKETBALL PLAYERS THAN YOUR OPPOSITION, YOU WILL WIN MORE THAN YOU LOSE.

To my knowledge no NCAA basketball games have ever been won because a kid has a solid family structure and writes good English papers or aces math. Sure Tubby was burned badly by Royce White, but the only way he is going to get 4-star players to come to Minnesota is to take a few risks. I don't want this program to get lost in the middle of the pack because we sign "solid character guys" with "good basketball knowledge." This program needs playmakers! If Minnesota somehow wins 22 games this season with Mbakwe and Co. and advances to the second round of the NCAA Tournament (or something like that) things aren't going to magically turn around. High level recruits aren't going to suddenly be attracted to Minnesota. It's going to take a couple consecutive special recruiting classes to turn this thing around and set up consistent winning. I am 100% in support of signing players that are smart, kiss their mom, go to class and never cause any trouble. But I also support putting better, more highly-ranked players on the floor than the opposition.

As you can see, none of the above players are even ranked within their specific position. Hell, Hankerson is a damn 2 star recruit.

I think you're looking too much into the amount of stars our targets have. No one really pays attention to Scout's ratings. Scout is worse than Rivals, ESPN, and (dare I say it?) 247. If you actually did pay attention to Scout's ratings, you would have noticed that Scout grades harsher than Rivals. Also, in general, all recruiting services spend less time and money on basketball. Football is generally more accurate and up to date than basketball. Schilling, Hankerson, Hayes, and Brown were probably rated a year ago.

As you can see, none of the above players are even ranked within their specific position. Hell, Hankerson is a damn 2 star recruit. Yes, I love guys that bring high character and get straight A's as much as the next, but it's pretty simply: IF YOU HAVE MORE TALENTED BASKETBALL PLAYERS THAN YOUR OPPOSITION, YOU WILL WIN MORE THAN YOU LOSE.

To my knowledge no NCAA basketball games have ever been won because a kid has a solid family structure and writes good English papers or aces math. Sure Tubby was burned badly by Royce White, but the only way he is going to get 4-star players to come to Minnesota is to take a few risks. I don't want this program to get lost in the middle of the pack because we sign "solid character guys" with "good basketball knowledge." This program needs playmakers! If Minnesota somehow wins 22 games this season with Mbakwe and Co. and advances to the second round of the NCAA Tournament (or something like that) things aren't going to magically turn around. High level recruits aren't going to suddenly be attracted to Minnesota. It's going to take a couple consecutive special recruiting classes to turn this thing around and set up consistent winning. I am 100% in support of signing players that are smart, kiss their mom, go to class and never cause any trouble. But I also support putting better, more highly-ranked players on the floor than the opposition.

So is Gavin Schilling good enough for Illinois, Vanderbilt, USC, and Oregon State, but not good enough for the Gophers?
Is Nigel Hayes good enough for Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Butler, but not good enough for Minnesota?
Is Vitto Brown good enough for Wisconsin, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Nebraska, but not good enough for the Gophers?
Is Hankerson good enough for Virginia Tech but not good enough for Minnesota?

You need to look at the player's offer lists. I trust Tubby's judgement, or really any D1 coach's judgement, on a player more than the people employed by Rivals or Scout.

So is Gavin Schilling good enough for Illinois, Vanderbilt, USC, and Oregon State, but not good enough for the Gophers?
Is Nigel Hayes good enough for Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Butler, but not good enough for Minnesota?
Is Vitto Brown good enough for Wisconsin, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Nebraska, but not good enough for the Gophers?

You need to look at the player's offer lists. I trust Tubby's judgement, or really any D1 coach's judgement, on a player more than the people employed by Rivals or Scout.

Good response, though Schilling does not have an Illinois offer. He may have from the old staff, but he does not from the current staff. If you guys don't want Hayes and Brown, I would be happy to take them in Madison. :)

Yes, all those players are good enough for those schools...good enough to supplement higher ranked recruits. This problem is, Minnesota is targeting low level 3 star players to highlight recruiting classes, not complement.

Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN
Alvin Ellis said he's visiting Minnesota September 28th and then Kansas State a couple weeks later.
Retweeted by RyanBurnsGI

RyanJamesMN Ryan James
Cedric Hankerson said he is looking into setting up a trip to Oklahoma State as they recently offered. Enjoyed his Minnesota trip a lot.

RyanJamesMN Ryan James
Cedric Hankerson: "Minnesota is definitely high on my list" @MinnesotaRivals

GophersNow PiPress Gophers Now
RT @RyanJamesMN Minnesota assistant Ron Jirsa and Stanford Head Coach Johnny Dawkins were in Ohio to watch PF Nigel Hayes work out today.
28 minutes agoReplyRetweetFavorite

RT @RyanJamesMN Nigel Hayes will be taking his official visit to Stanford this coming weekend.
29 minutes agoReplyRetweetFavorite

How should these 3* recruits that recently visited be ranked? Who would be the best get for us?

Nigel Hayes and Alvin Ellis/E.C Matthews not both.

I think he's talking about Nigel Hayes, Gavin Schilling, and Cedric Hankerson. I don't know anything about Hankerson so I'm not going to comment on him, but I would much rather get Hayes than Schilling. In regards to our top 2013 targets in general, I think I would have to put E.C. Matthews and Nigel Hayes at the top.

YIKES...

UIHoopsRecruits UIHoopsRecruits
RT @RyanJamesMN: Word is Gavin Schilling will have Notre Dame in to see him in the next 24 and the Irish are about to make a strong push.
27 hours agoReplyRetweetFavorite

Gophers SG target Cedric Hankerson said “anything can happen” after next visit

After his first official visit last weekend with the Gophers, Coral Reef High School (Fla.) guard Cedric Hankerson could have ended his recruitment by making an oral commitment to coach Tubby Smith.

It seemed like that was a strong possibility, but Hankerson told the Pioneer Press he’s taking his second trip to Boston University on Sept. 14. The Miami native said “anything can happen” after that as far as him making a decision. But it’s “probable” right now that he still visits Virginia Tech (Sept. 21) and Pennsylvania (Sept. 28).

“I know (the Gophers) play in a great conference with a high level of competition against schools like Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State,” Hankerson said. “I wouldn’t mind being a part of that.”

But Oklahoma State recently offered Hankerson a scholarship, so now he will have an opportunity to play in the Big Ten, Big 12 or ACC. He won’t completley overlook the fact that the Cowboys were late to show him interest.

“I definitely have to consider timing,” Hankerson said. “But I can’t dwell on it too much. (The Cowboys are) in a big-time conference. It’s just a lot to think about to talk over with my family. I’m still considering making them my final visit.”

Hankerson said one of the highlights of his Minnesota visit was attending the football team’s 44-7 victory against New Hampshire on Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium. The fan atmosphere really made an impression.

“I’ve seen the (University of Miami-Fla.) play and it’s sort of similar to that,” he said about the football gameday experience. “Even at the Minnesota football game, I saw how much the fans supported them and how everybody was wearing (maroon and gold). I went to a lot of (Miami) games growing up because it was right down the street from me. This was great, too.”

The 6-foot-4, 190-pound Hankerson sees himself being able to rotate between the point guard and shooting guard spots in college. He talked to Minnesota’s Andre Hollins and Maverick Ahanmisi during the visit about the program’s style of play. Smith told Hankerson he wants the Gophers to be a running team.

“Coach said they like to run, penetrate, kick and swing the ball,” Hankerson said. “He said they’re more of a spot-up shooting team. I really enjoy that aspect of them.”

– The Gophers don’t have any official visitors scheduled for this week. But they are expecting to unofficially host several top local players from the 2014 and 2015 classes, including Cooper guard Rashad Vaughn, DeLaSalle forward Reid Travis, DeLaSalle guard Jarvis Johnson and Grand Rapids forward Alex Illikainen. Rice Lake (Wis.) forward Henry Ellenson, the brother of Gophers freshman Wally Ellenson, could also join that group. Apple Valley’s high profile junior guard Tyus Jones, the No. 2 player in the 2014 class, might make an unofficial trip to campus on Sept. 27, according to 1500ESPN.

– Next week’s official visitors scheduled right now are 6-8 forward Tory Miller from New Hampton Prep (N.H.) and 6-8 forward Alex Foster from Seton Academy (Ill.). DeLaSalle (Ill.) guard Alvin Ellis moved his visit from Sept. 21 to Sept. 28.

Gophers Now Blog » Gophers SG target Cedric Hankerson said “anything can happen” after next visit http://t.co/KImVCoM1
11 minutes agoReplyRetweetFavorite

RyanJamesMN Ryan James
Cedric Hankerson: "Minnesota is definitely high on my list" @MinnesotaRivals http://t.co/14xIKrHm

RyanJamesMN Ryan James
Minnesota assistant coach Vince Taylor is in Chicago right now looking at players, likely Alvin Ellis, Alex Foster, and Sterling Brown.....
30 hours agoReplyRetweetFavorite

HOOPSrecruits Hoops Recruits
RT @RyanJamesMN Alex Foster is visiting Auburn the weekend of October 5th.

Also, Foster currently has us listed as his #1 school on 247.

Things can change, but has appeared the Sterling Brown ship sailed awhile ago.

Top Bottom