2013 Recruits - UPDATED 3/20: Gavin Schilling picks Michigan State

Dont think we're taking four guys three guys max

What about Chris Perry? He is the #10 Center in the 2013 class. We have offered him and he hasn't gotten that many offers from big schools.

What about Chris Perry? He is the #10 Center in the 2013 class. We have offered him and he hasn't gotten that many offers from big schools.

I believe Ryan James initially broke the news, but I found this on another free site:

"Perry has Butler in his list of top 6 schools along with Tulsa, Miami, Cincy, USF, and Murray State."

With Elliason and Walker being Sophmores next year it is probably going to be very difficult to sign a center in 2013, I hope they keep one of the scholerships and use it on a center in 2014.

Alvin Ellis has Minnesota in his top four with K State, Northwestern and Wichita St.

The De La Salle Trio
- Alex Foster has been talked about a bunch on GH. The Chicago PF has offers from Purdue, Northwestern, Illinois, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Harvard with his top five being Harvard, Minnesota, Tennessee, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Foster is long, athletic, and runs the floor well making it possible for him to play some small forward.
- Gavin Schilling is a big man that runs the floor well. He recently announced he'd be transferring to juggernaut Findlay Prep. Schilling has offers from Illinois, DePaul, Minnesota, Oregon State, USC, Vanderbilt, Kansas State, Northwestern, and Penn State.
- Alvin Ellis is a wing with offers from Minnesota, Kansas State, and Northwestern.

Bigs
- Chris Perry is a 6'8" PF from Florida who is a strong rebounder but needs to develop his shot and outside game. Perry lists his top three as Cincy, Minnesota, and UCF.
- Jordan Tribble is another big from Florida. Right now, we're the only school to offer Tribble, but Coast 2 Coast Hoops has tweeted about other schools showing interest: and Source Hoops breaks down Tribble:
- Vitto Brown is a PF that plays good defense and is a strong rebounder. Brown holds offers from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Nebraska with his top three being Minnesota, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. Ryan James tweeted three days ago:
- Kyle Washington should be #1 on our priority list for the class of 2013. After reclassifying into the class of 2013, the offers really started to pour in for Washington. He will begin to trim his list and schedule visits in the upcoming weeks. Washington holds offers from Baylor, Florida, Iowa State, Louisville, Marquette, Memphis, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and more.
- Tory Miller is a back-to-the-basket PF from Missouri with offers from Arkansas, Minnesota, Creighton and Nebraska with his top two being Nebraska and Creighton.
- D'Andre Downey is definitely a mystery recruit. He was one of our first offers, making you think he'd be one of our top targets, but we certainly haven't heard anything about him since. His only other offer is from UW-Green Bay.
- Nigel Hayes is a face up 4 that can shoot. We recently offered the Toledo native, and he also holds offers from Wisconsin, Butler, and Xavier with Wisconsin and Xavier being his top two. 7/31 UPDATE - OFFERED BY OHIO STATE

Guards
- We recently offer Wisconsin shooting guard Nick Fuller. His stock has definitely rose this AAU season. Fuller has offers from Minnesota, Colorado, Creighton, Nebraska, and Marquette (which may have been pulled). 8/1 UPDATE - TOP TWO: MINNESOTA AND NEBRASKA
- Sterling Brown is a shooting guard from Illinois with offers from Minnesota, Illinois, USC, Nebraska, and DePaul. Brown drives and finishes well, and excels in up-tempo offenses.

The Locals
- Anders Broman and Akolda Manyang both already have detailed threads concerning their recruitment.

Illinois has not offered Alex Foster. The old staff was interested but he has no offer from Groce. Foster is a midmajor, imo. He reminds me quite a bit of Stanley Gaines, a player who was ranked very high early and then leveled off and dropped off in the rankings. Foster was one of the "big three" in Illinois as a freshman. Parker, Tommy Hamilton, Foster. Hamilton and Foster have never gotten better. Foster has dropped out of the top 10 in Illinois and has not done much in high school. If fact, of the DeLaSalle three, Ellis is the best. The other two, Schilling and Foster, no longer even attend DeLaSalle.

According to Rivals, Florida big Chris Perry trimmed his list from four to two, Cincinnati and Butler.

Alvin Ellis update:
joehoopsreport Joe Henricksen
Despite recent departures at De La Salle, Alvin Ellis staying put. http://t.co/qjGTlYBs ...N'Western, K State, Minn. & Wichita St. his top 4

RyanJamesMN Ryan James
Also, good news for Gopher fans on Alvin Ellis, check The Gopher Report @MinnesotaRivals for details

LucasTrickleGI Lucas Trickle
RT @RyanJamesMN: Also, good news for Gopher fans on Alvin Ellis, check The Gopher Report @MinnesotaRivals for details

Kyle Washington update:
ISURecruitLists ISU Recruiting Info
An ICYMI, both 2013 Kyle Washington and 2014 Jared Terrell will attend Brewster Academy this year. Both have #cyclones offers

This might be old news? It was the first time I heard Washington will be attending Brewster, but maybe I'm just slow. Among Brewster alums are Thomas Robinson (Kings), Jeff Adrien (Warriors), Craig Brackins (76ers), Naadir Tharpe (Kansas), Will Barton (Memphis), and Mo Walker (Minnesota).

Also, a Louisville blurb on Kyle Washington: Kyle Washington 'loves' Louisville

Fuller tweets on Tory Miller:

GophersNow PiPress Gophers Now
RT @ebosshoops 2013 PF Tory Miller will leave the KC area to attend New Hampton Prep as a senior

I may come to regret it later, but I don't mind missing on recruits too much this year and hope it just leads to us banking a bunch of scholarships for next year.

A question for those more knowledgeable on Wisconsin though - what does the Badger scholarship situation look like this year? They already have verbals from Dearring and Hill and Brown is favoring there. If he commits is there still room for Washington?

I may come to regret it later, but I don't mind missing on recruits too much this year and hope it just leads to us banking a bunch of scholarships for next year.

A question for those more knowledgeable on Wisconsin though - what does the Badger scholarship situation look like this year? They already have verbals from Dearring and Hill and Brown is favoring there. If he commits is there still room for Washington?

From this Badger basketball scholarship matrix it looks like they have 3 graduating seniors and one open scholarship. They already picked up Koenig, Dearring, and Hill, so it looks like they have one more scholarship open for someone like Brown or Washington.

From this Badger basketball scholarship matrix it looks like they have 3 graduating seniors and one open scholarship. They already picked up Koenig, Dearring, and Hill, so it looks like they have one more scholarship open for someone like Brown or Washington.

At the moment, it looks like UW only has 4 available scholarships for the 2013 class. With commitments already from Koenig, Hill and Dearring, it would appear that they only have one opening.

However, Zak Showalter is a member of the 2012 class who came in as a walk-on but will be on schoarship this coming season. One was available for 2012-13 due to Jarrod Uthoff's transfer and UW missing on Sheldon Jeter (2012 forward chose Vandy). It was unclear how many years Showalter will be on scholarship, but I will be very surprised if UW does not take two more in 2013 (both frontcourt), meaning Zak would likely be off scholarship in his second year. Kyle Washington, Vitto Brown and Nigel Hayes look like UW's top targets for the remaining scholarships.

Tory Miller update:

RyanBurnsGI RyanBurnsGI
RT @RyanJamesMN: Tory Miller said he is working on a possible official visit to Minnesota sometime in September.

Miller still has Nebraska and Creighton as his top two, by the way.

Nigel Hayes update:

McNamaraRivals Jon McNamara
According to @RyanJamesMN, #Badgers will get an official visit from 2013 forward Nigel Hayes. OSU likely the team to beat.

jerrymeyer247 Jeremy Meyer
RT @Evan_Flood: 2013 PF Nigel Hayes will take official visits to Stanford, Minnesota, Ohio State, Wisconsin, maybe Dayton.

Nigel Hayes update:

McNamaraRivals Jon McNamara
According to @RyanJamesMN, #Badgers will get an official visit from 2013 forward Nigel Hayes. OSU likely the team to beat.

jerrymeyer247 Jeremy Meyer
RT @Evan_Flood: 2013 PF Nigel Hayes will take official visits to Stanford, Minnesota, Ohio State, Wisconsin, maybe Dayton.

I saw a tweet today that said Hayes' official visit to Ohio St. this fall will be for the night game between OSU and Nebraska. That will be a tough atmosphere to top. I have not seen dates for the other officials.

I saw a tweet today that said Hayes' official visit to Ohio St. this fall will be for the night game between OSU and Nebraska. That will be a tough atmosphere to top. I have not seen dates for the other officials.

Just a question for those who know more. Perhaps it is perception but it seems the last 2-3 years Tubby gets his recruits late, often even after other Big Ten schools are already done, and I assume that would represent the nation as a whole. If this is true it suggests to me Tubby or UM is a secondary choice. Is this possible my perception has any merit?

Just a question for those who know more. Perhaps it is perception but it seems the last 2-3 years Tubby gets his recruits late, often even after other Big Ten schools are already done, and I assume that would represent the nation as a whole. If this is true it suggests to me Tubby or UM is a secondary choice. Is this possible my perception has any merit?

I think that Hollins and Coleman was a pretty good recruiting class that occured during a bad season, considering they had just completed a 6-12 conference season and were midway through a second consequitive bad year, last years class of Ellenson and Bugs wasn't all that shabby. After two bad seasons in a row recruiting is lagging a bit and rightfully so, a good showing in the Atlantis tournament and top 4 finish in the big ten could turn things around in a hurry, lets hope that this class gets a decent player or two to keep the momentum going.

I think that Hollins and Coleman was a pretty good recruiting class that occured during a bad season, considering they had just completed a 6-12 conference season and were midway through a second consequitive bad year, last years class of Ellenson and Bugs wasn't all that shabby. After two bad seasons in a row recruiting is lagging a bit and rightfully so, a good showing in the Atlantis tournament and top 4 finish in the big ten could turn things around in a hurry, lets hope that this class gets a decent player or two to keep the momentum going.

Dre and Joe committed prior to the beginning of the 2010-11 season. Minnesota had just been to the NCAA tournament.

Buggs and Ellenson committed prior to the beginning of this past season.

2013's class will largely be committed and most of them signed to an NLI before Battle 4 Atlantis even occurs.

Recent Marcus tweets:

PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow
Tubby's first official visits expected for Sept. 7 are SG Cedric Hankerson, PF Nigel Hayes and PF Gavin Schilling. Could change though.

PiPress Gophers Now ‏@GophersNow
Two weeks later (Sept. 21), Gophers expecting to get visits from SG/SF Alvin Ellis, SF/PF Alex Foster and PF Tory Miller. Also could change.

Tubby Smith loves him a "good" unranked, low-level 3-star recruit doesn't he? Man, it's frustrating. We all saw the talent this guy has the ability to bring in, but unless Washington signs, it will be two straight seasons without a 4-star signee (Buggs and Ellenson are 3 stars). I just feel that a B1G institution like Minnesota with a borderline HoF coach should be able to lock up one top 150 prospect every season. I feel as though Tubby is settling for guys he thinks will sign instead of thoroughly engaging high-level players. Every class needs an anchor, and Ellenson and Buggs are not difference-makers. They both could turn into pretty decent college players, but neither demands attention on the floor.

Tubby Smith loves him a "good" unranked, low-level 3-star recruit doesn't he? Man, it's frustrating. We all saw the talent this guy has the ability to bring in, but unless Washington signs, it will be two straight seasons without a 4-star signee (Buggs and Ellenson are 3 stars). I just feel that a B1G institution like Minnesota with a borderline HoF coach should be able to lock up one top 150 prospect every season. I feel as though Tubby is settling for guys he thinks will sign instead of thoroughly engaging high-level players. Every class needs an anchor, and Ellenson and Buggs are not difference-makers. They both could turn into pretty decent college players, but neither demands attention on the floor.

I couldn't agree more.

I really feel like Buggs and Ellenson will both be starters as upperclassmen and possible contributors as underclassmen. I don't think there was anything wrong with the last class we signed.

Tubby Smith loves him a "good" unranked, low-level 3-star recruit doesn't he?

Alex Foster, Gavin Schilling, Alvin Ellis, Chris Perry, Vitto Brown, Tory Miller, Nigel Hayes, and Sterling Brown are not low-level 3 star recruits. They all have offers from multiple BCS schools, and Sterling Brown and Tory Miller are the only ones without an offer from a team ranked in the top 25 last year.

Top Bottom