2013 Recruits - UPDATED 3/20: Gavin Schilling picks Michigan State

Another disappointing day in gopher basketball. We lose out on the only legit recruit from the high school team that we took two lesser recruits. Offering Russo is stupid. Didn't we learn our lesson from offering late offers to recruits that no other program wanted like Ingram, Maverick, Otto. Tubby doesn't put in the effort in recruiting. We won't win intil we get a coaching staff that recruits hard and gets good players. We can always use excuses that we don't have the facilities or bad weather or whatever. The excuses have to stop. We need players. Two years in a row of no worthy big ten recruits and one real big ten recruit in the last four years fell to us after Stanford said that they were not intersted in him. The future of gopher basketball is bleak. We lose. lose & lose some more. Who is going to give money to a losing program to improve the facilities. It is a never ending nightmare. 9th place and 10th place finishes in the big ten the last two years. At least we keep improving. We can expect an 8th place finish next year. UGH!

Ingram's other offers were Boise State, Western Illinois, and North Dakota.
Mav's other offers were Loyola Chicago and UCSB.
Oto's other offers were Iowa State, Providence, and Green Bay.

Russo has offers from Miami, Drake, Bowling Green, and St. Bonaventure. I think his offer to Miami might still be standing (he was offered by them only several months ago). So, Russo, in general, has better offers than our other "spring recruits."

What about Kevin Thomas? He went Juco after originally committing to Texas.

I thought he was still on the radar. 6'8" kid who had scholarship offers from Texas, NC State, Georgetown, Marquette, Arkansas, Virginia Tech.

I am not sure there would be a big drop between him and schilling.

What about Kevin Thomas? He went Juco after originally committing to Texas.

I thought he was still on the radar. 6'8" kid who had scholarship offers from Texas, NC State, Georgetown, Marquette, Arkansas, Virginia Tech.

I am not sure there would be a big drop between him and schilling.

I think you're right. Thomas is the next logical solution. We're pretty screwed if we don't get Thomas or some capable JUCO. Our big man depth and talent will be pretty dreadful if we can't land an impact big.

I think you're right. Thomas is the next logical solution. We're pretty screwed if we don't get Thomas or some capable JUCO. Our big man depth and talent will be pretty dreadful if we can't land an impact big.

We haven't had contact with Thomas in months. That could change now, but the staff hasn't seen him play in a long time and outside of a few form letters we have not shown interest in him since the start of the season.

Go Gophers!!

Cullen's highlights on youtube make him look morel like a SF without SF skills...
He looks better than Oto.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I12qyfkK18I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We haven't had contact with Thomas in months. That could change now, but the staff hasn't seen him play in a long time and outside of a few form letters we have not shown interest in him since the start of the season.

Go Gophers!!

According to Rivals.com Thomas is at the top of the Cornhuskers list as of Feb '13

Seems like that's what Ingram would put up in a similar situation. A guy who can chew up 10-15, maybe 20 minutes. It's hard to expect much more at this point. Picture Ingram's role if Trevor wasn't granted a 6th year... that's the boat we're in now. A guy like Thomas might not be all bad. Hopefully Buggs, Foster, Oto can step into the other 25-30 minutes if the Gophs pick up a guy like Thomas.

I'm all for a two year band-aid with a little college experience. Russo may be a legit candidate, but a JUCO like Thomas should have the body to play some minutes next season, which is an obvious need.

He looks better than Oto.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I12qyfkK18I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There is nothing wrong with him if you are a mid-major college (I know Miami offered him but I am assuming that is before Miami became really good). He looks extremely one-dimensional on his highlight tapes... Essentially looks like Wally without the "jumpshot". He reminds me a lot of Steve Tecker from the University of South Dakota (Northwestern high school, Wisconsin)... Who knows though, I am no THESCOUT!!!! Lol :confused::confused::cool::clap:;)

There is nothing wrong with him if you are a mid-major college (I know Miami offered him but I am assuming that is before Miami became really good). He looks extremely one-dimensional on his highlight tapes... Essentially looks like Wally without the "jumpshot". He reminds me a lot of Steve Tecker from the University of South Dakota (Northwestern high school, Wisconsin)... Who knows though, I am no THESCOUT!!!! Lol :confused::confused::cool::clap:;)

When half your highlight tape is warm up dunks and wide open 3s.... You might be a Tubby recruit....

6'9" great hops solid shooter out to 20'. Needs to add muscle and his motor is?. Moronic to compare a player with his length to Wally

Beggars can't be choosers.

Seems like that's what Ingram would put up in a similar situation. A guy who can chew up 10-15, maybe 20 minutes. It's hard to expect much more at this point. Picture Ingram's role if Trevor wasn't granted a 6th year... that's the boat we're in now. A guy like Thomas might not be all bad. Hopefully Buggs, Foster, Oto can step into the other 25-30 minutes if the Gophs pick up a guy like Thomas.

I'm all for a two year band-aid with a little college experience. Russo may be a legit candidate, but a JUCO like Thomas should have the body to play some minutes next season, which is an obvious need.

I'm not going to disagree that Thomas may be like an Ingram, but I sure hope he is better. Out of high school, he had offers from Texas, Georgetown, Marquette, NC State, Arkansas, Colorado, Virginia Tech, etc.

That was two years ago. He's at a JUCO now.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks, I am aware Thomas is playing JUCO ball. That quote was from a previous post and was incorrectly stated. As of now, Thomas is still playing JUCO ball and as of Feb. is at the top of Nebraska's list according to Rivals.com

6'9" great hops solid shooter out to 20'. Needs to add muscle and his motor is?. Moronic to compare a player with his length to Wally

Lmao! That is verbatim what wally is...Russo is 6'7ish and Wally is 6'5ish, two inch difference but Wally has more hops so that makes up for the 2 inch height difference. It's moronic to not compare the two and that is probably why he does not hold a gopher offer...we already have a Russo.

Lmao! That is verbatim what wally is...Russo is 6'7ish and Wally is 6'5ish, two inch difference but Wally has more hops so that makes up for the 2 inch height difference. It's moronic to not compare the two and that is probably why he does not hold a gopher offer...we already have a Russo.
Is Russo 6'7" or 6'9"? I see multiple sources listing him at 6'9".

Mo's got a lot of potential, but he needs to get coached up. EE gets an 'A' for effort, but he should be coming off the bench on a good team. What we're really going to be lacking at the C/F is numbers. This does start to look kinda bleak.

Keep watching.

Well, yahoo recruiting and rivals have him at 6'7...I would trust those reliable sources rather than THESCOUT!!! spouting off at the mouth with invalid non-sense. His analysis are consistently wrong and hilarious.

Either way, he's big enough to play the four if needed. Just by seeing pictures, I would guess he's a legit 6'7" (same height as Mbakwe).

I would like to know more about Kevin Thomas. I think bringing him in as another option as a Juco player would make sense.

Well, yahoo recruiting and rivals have him at 6'7...I would trust those reliable sources rather than THESCOUT!!! spouting off at the mouth with invalid non-sense. His analysis are consistently wrong and hilarious.
How about these sources? All list Russo as 6'9". Are you sure 6'7" wasn't his junior year height?
http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/145408?referrer_id=388419-gopherhole-com-news-archive
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/cullen-russo
http://midwestballers.com/?p=1896
http://www.hardwoodelite.com/player-profile.php?n=cullen_russo
http://hometeamsonline.com/teams/de...TS&t=c&s=basketball&p=profile&playerID=167698

Top Bottom