2013 Recruits - UPDATED 3/20: Gavin Schilling picks Michigan State

RoyalGopher

Reaction score
The De La Salle Trio
- Alex Foster COMMITTED TO MINNESOTA
- Gavin Schilling is a big man that runs the floor well. He recently announced he'd be transferring to juggernaut Findlay Prep. Schilling has offers from Illinois, DePaul, Minnesota, Oregon State, USC, Vanderbilt, Kansas State, Northwestern, and Penn State. 8/23 UPDATE - VISITING MINNESOTA ON 9/7
- Alvin Ellis 9/23 UPDATE - COMMITTED TO MINNESOTA

Bigs
- Chris Perry - 10/3 UPDATE - COMMITTED TO USF
- Jordan Tribble is another big from Florida. Right now, we're the only school to offer Tribble, but Coast 2 Coast Hoops has tweeted about other schools showing interest:
Georgetown, Memphis, VCU, Wake Forest and NC State are all expressing interest in 2013 NTF (FL) big man Jordan Tribble. @Tribb_2Tall
and
Georgetown, Memphis, VCU, Wake Forest and NC State are all expressing interest in 2013 NTF (FL) big man Jordan Tribble. @Tribb_2Tall
Source Hoops breaks down Tribble:
A big guy that is new to the state is 6’8 Jordan Tribble. Now at Holmes County in Bonifay Springs, the thin insider works hard in the paint despite his lack of bulk. He posts up strong and gives a good target. Tribble struggles to complete plays inside because of his lack of heft. However, his continuous effort gets results sooner or later. Tribble runs the court well and has the length and leaping ability to be an effective shot blocker.
- Vitto Brown 9/14 UPDATE - COMMITTED TO WISCONSIN
- Kyle Washington 9/13 UPDATE - TRIMS LIST, NO LONGER CONSIDERING MINNESOTA OR WISCONSIN
- Tory Miller is a back-to-the-basket PF from Missouri with offers from Arkansas, Minnesota, Creighton and Nebraska with his top two being Nebraska and Creighton.
- D'Andre Downey is definitely a mystery recruit. He was one of our first offers, making you think he'd be one of our top targets, but we certainly haven't heard anything about him since. His only other offer is from UW-Green Bay.
- Nigel Hayes TOP THREE OF WISCONSIN, OHIO STATE, AND STANFORD

Guards
- Sterling Brown is a shooting guard from Illinois with offers from Minnesota, Illinois, USC, Nebraska, and DePaul. Brown drives and finishes well, and excels in up-tempo offenses.

The Locals
- Anders Broman and Akolda Manyang both already have detailed threads concerning their recruitment.

Were in Alex Foster's top two with Auburn. We should also be near the top for Fuller and EC Matthews. I really hope we only use two scholarships this class so we can add at least 4 for 2014.

Really hoping we can land Kyle Washington. However, does it concern anyone else that we haven't even offered a 4* recruit?

Really hoping we can land Kyle Washington. However, does it concern anyone else that we haven't even offered a 4* recruit?

We have but only one is considering us(EC Matthews).

The Deandre Downey offer is what alarms me about this staff's recruiting. One offer from Green Bay. We offered him months ago. Not really even an all conference type High School player at six eight so he's not like a seven foot project. One would hope he doesn't commit and frankly I don't think we take him if he did. Either the information that gets printed about basketball recruiting is way off base or this staff is lost. When you look back at some of the guys we have supposely offered the last few years something doesn't add up.

Were in Alex Foster's top two with Auburn. We should also be near the top for Fuller and EC Matthews. I really hope we only use two scholarships this class so we can add at least 4 for 2014.

We haven't offered EC Matthews yet. I think there's already a thread with a debate about offering EC Matthews, because he's a point guard, and we're trying to land Tyus. Also, I agree with you that we should try to bank a scholarship or two.

We have but only one is considering us(EC Matthews).

I think Matthews would be the perfect recruit for the gophers, isn't he a combo guard with decent size that would be able to play PG or SG. He could play with Andre Hollins and give you an option at PG and allow you to wait on Jones even if it drags out to the spring of his senior year like it did with Joseph's.

247 has Matthews top three as Arizona, USC, and Xavier in no order.

We haven't offered EC Matthews yet. I think there's already a thread with a debate about offering EC Matthews, because he's a point guard, and we're trying to land Tyus. Also, I agree with you that we should try to bank a scholarship or two.
I thought Ryan James tweeted we have. He could be like Andre and slide to the two when needed.

The Deandre Downey offer is what alarms me about this staff's recruiting. One offer from Green Bay. We offered him months ago. Not really even an all conference type High School player at six eight so he's not like a seven foot project. One would hope he doesn't commit and frankly I don't think we take him if he did. Either the information that gets printed about basketball recruiting is way off base or this staff is lost. When you look back at some of the guys we have supposely offered the last few years something doesn't add up.

I'd say that the Rivals database on "offers" is out of date. Downey would have the same chance of committing to Minnesota tomorrow as Nick Fuller would have of committing to Marquette.

Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN
EC Matthews was just offered by UCONN per @BWeixScout

@Evan_Flood: Sun Prairie (Wis.) 2013 SF Nick Fuller says he's down to Minnesota and Nebraska. #gophers #huskers

Go Gophers!!

We have moved lower if anything in the pecking order of recruiting since Tubby's first class. Down to Nebraska's level. We have no chance with Sterling Brown and Nigel Hayes. Kyle Washington is probably wishful thinking. At least Monson got Jerry Holman and Vince Greer on his own and kind of backed into Humpries,Rickert and Dan Coleman. He had to deal with probation and certainly wasn't a big name like Tubby. I expected more from Tubby. Hopefully I'm jumping the gun and a Tourney run and a great in state recruiting class is in the future.

We have moved lower if anything in the pecking order of recruiting since Tubby's first class. Down to Nebraska's level. We have no chance with Sterling Brown and Nigel Hayes. Kyle Washington is probably wishful thinking. At least Monson got Jerry Holman and Vince Greer on his own and kind of backed into Humpries,Rickert and Dan Coleman. He had to deal with probation and certainly wasn't a big name like Tubby. I expected more from Tubby. Hopefully I'm jumping the gun and a Tourney run and a great in state recruiting class is in the future.
More than that. 2008:Ralph,Devoe,Colton. 2009:Rodney,Royce. 2010:Mo. 2011:Andre,Joe. All were top 150 per rivals.

Blackhammer said:

Lol.

Getting the jitters are we, decent but no star power in the current class and no one signed for the next class.

Looks like Nigel Hayes is going to officially visit Minnesota.

Ohio State just offered Nigel Hayes. He can probably be taken off the board.

Remember, some of these guys might be plan B, C, or even D for these powerhouse schools. They may offer but then tell the recruit, "hey, take your time. No rush. Think it through." ...while they wait on some 5 star or top 50 player. And a school like Ohio State has interest from 5 star players at every position.

Heck, OSU already has a commitment from Marc Loving, a four star power forward. Hayes is listed as a power forward.

That's a well-crafted list, well done. And yes, I'm a little worried about the fact that we aren't really on the radar of any top 150 recruits outside of Washington (and who knows how much of a chance we REALLY have). I have preached this over and over and over, but each class has to have a solid top 150 guy to anchor it. If not, you are betting on guys to overachieve, and that's dangerous. Yes, it's very possible to win at a high level with a roster filled with 3-star recruits. It's just exponentially easier to win with a roster containing a balance of 4-star and 3-star recruits (like the Gophers' current team). I don't like where recruiting is heading to be completely honest. That doesn't mean Tubby won't turn things around but Jones isn't going to be a Gopher and I don't see a four-star prospect signing in 2013. I have a bad feeling Jones' recruitment is going to play out much like the younger Joseph: Ultra talented PG going to keep Minnesota in the "mix" until the very end because of a strong connection to the program (Cory with his brother and Tyus with his home state) only to have one of the big time superpowers reel him in. Seriously people, we are recruiting against freaking Duke and Michigan State.

Remember, some of these guys might be plan B, C, or even D for these powerhouse schools. They may offer but then tell the recruit, "hey, take your time. No rush. Think it through." ...while they wait on some 5 star or top 50 player. And a school like Ohio State has interest from 5 star players at every position.

Heck, OSU already has a commitment from Marc Loving, a four star power forward. Hayes is listed as a power forward.

I still expect Hayes to go to Ohio St., but as an interesting side story, his older brother recently requested and was given his release from OSU (had been on scholarship as a defensive lineman). Not sure if that changes things all that much, but it might open the door a crack from some other schools (e.g. UW or Minnesota) to land Hayes. I really like him and hope UW can somehow add him to their 2013 class.

That's a well-crafted list, well done. And yes, I'm a little worried about the fact that we aren't really on the radar of any top 150 recruits outside of Washington (and who knows how much of a chance we REALLY have). I have preached this over and over and over, but each class has to have a solid top 150 guy to anchor it. If not, you are betting on guys to overachieve, and that's dangerous. Yes, it's very possible to win at a high level with a roster filled with 3-star recruits. It's just exponentially easier to win with a roster containing a balance of 4-star and 3-star recruits (like the Gophers' current team). I don't like where recruiting is heading to be completely honest. That doesn't mean Tubby won't turn things around but Jones isn't going to be a Gopher and I don't see a four-star prospect signing in 2013. I have a bad feeling Jones' recruitment is going to play out much like the younger Joseph: Ultra talented PG going to keep Minnesota in the "mix" until the very end because of a strong connection to the program (Cory with his brother and Tyus with his home state) only to have one of the big time superpowers reel him in. Seriously people, we are recruiting against freaking Duke and Michigan State.

Would bring up all the recruits that have stayed home to sub-par programs. Theres a good chance we will be better than both those schools this year.

OSU has offered several players in the 2013 class as well as the 2014 class (including one highly rated SF/PF in Jae'Sean Tate who is seemingly just as pro-OSU if not moreso than Hayes), and they can't take them all. It probably is one of those first to commit deals for many of those guys like Hayes. I don't think Hayes is at the tip top of their list but he is a good high-major prospect. Nigel's brother Kenny has had some medical problems that caused him to stop playing football for OSU - I'm not sure he will be playing football anywhere anymore. OSU has 3 vacancies for the 2013 class right now, and it wouldn't be a big surprise to see another spot open up for whatever reason, but I expect they will only take 3 more in this class unless there are multiple additional openings. So the Gophers shouldn't give up on Hayes just because OSU offered him - there are other guys who are higher priorities for them, and they can't get them all.

OSU has offered several players in the 2013 class as well as the 2014 class (including one highly rated SF/PF in Jae'Sean Tate who is seemingly just as pro-OSU if not moreso than Hayes), and they can't take them all. It probably is one of those first to commit deals for many of those guys like Hayes. I don't think Hayes is at the tip top of their list but he is a good high-major prospect. Nigel's brother Kenny has had some medical problems that caused him to stop playing football for OSU - I'm not sure he will be playing football anywhere anymore. OSU has 3 vacancies for the 2013 class right now, and it wouldn't be a big surprise to see another spot open up for whatever reason, but I expect they will only take 3 more in this class unless there are multiple additional openings. So the Gophers shouldn't give up on Hayes just because OSU offered him - there are other guys who are higher priorities for them, and they can't get them all.

How many more forwards do you see OSU taking in 2013? With Loving already on board, would they still take two more? OSU certainly seems to be the favorite for Hayes, but I wonder where they stand with Devin Williams and if he would be more of a priority than Hayes.

I like this breakdown of Hayes:
Not for the weak-hearted

Throughout the month of July one of the biggest questions on the Midwestern circuit has been: Is 6-foot-7 forward Nigel Hayes good enough to play in the Big Ten? After this tournament concludes the answer is easy to discern, yes, Hayes is a clear-cut high major player. The three-star power forward from All-Ohio Red earned offers from Minnesota and Wisconsin in June, and those two schools have been following the Toledo native everywhere that he has been of late. In addition to those programs, Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa and Michigan State have been heavily tracking Hayes to see if the versatile forward would be a good fit for their program.

Hayes has a man's body at 6-foot-7 and 225 pounds of rock solid muscle. He's a high level athlete with powerful explosion around the rim, a non-stop level of energy and a tough guy mentality that intimidates opponents who are not as mature as he is physically. Capable of playing small forward, power forward or even center, Hayes has a versatile offensive skill package that allows him to handle the ball, drive it from the wing or high post, shoot the mid-range jumper and score it around the rim. A high level rebounder and excellent interior defender, Hayes' toughness is easy to spot with the way that he fights for loose balls on the court. College coaches from the previously mentioned programs feel like he is a prospect who will continue to improve over time, and despite being a little undersized for the post at their level, should be an excellent collegiate player.

Top Bottom