Cornerback

John Galt

Reaction score
So even though our roster for the most part is really young, CB is one area where we only have 2 underclassmen on scholarship - Boddy and Murray. We have a lot of young safeties - Wells, Thompson, Levine, Montgomery, Johnson, Travis, but somehow only 2 corners on the entire roster? Hopefully Boddy gets the chance to redshirt this year. Seems like we really need Brookins to stick with his vebal and to also add another 1-2 true freshmen to get younger at the position.

Seniors: Troy Stoudermire, Michael Carter
Juniors: Martez Shabazz, Jeremy Baltazar
Sophomores: Briean Boddy
Freshman: Eric Murray (expected to redshirt)

We only have two underclassmen cornerbacks, but Kill said he wants to add 3 defensive backs to this recruiting class (including Brookins). I wouldn't be too concerned about our depth at corner.

Seniors: Troy Stoudermire, Michael Carter
Juniors: Martez Shabazz, Jeremy Baltazar
Sophomores: Briean Boddy
Freshman: Eric Murray (expected to redshirt)

We only have two underclassmen cornerbacks, but Kill said he wants to add 3 defensive backs to this recruiting class (including Brookins). I wouldn't be too concerned about our depth at corner.

We're fine this year and probably next, its beyond that where we seem to be thin. We have 6 underclassmen at safety, but only 2 at CB. As we've seen in the past 3-4 years, whenever we are in the position where we are counting on a true or even redshirt freshmen to be a starter or play significantly, it usually doesn't work out well.

So even though our roster for the most part is really young, CB is one area where we only have 2 underclassmen on scholarship - Boddy and Murray. We have a lot of young safeties - Wells, Thompson, Levine, Montgomery, Johnson, Travis, but somehow only 2 corners on the entire roster? Hopefully Boddy gets the chance to redshirt this year. Seems like we really need Brookins to stick with his vebal and to also add another 1-2 true freshmen to get younger at the position.

Because some of these guys will bulk up and play corner some day--plus a guy like Dicke is in play as well.

Watkins is at corner, isn't he? Also, someone like KJ Maye could conceivably play corner.

Wells, Thompson, Levine, Montgomery, Johnson, Travis. Out of the 6 safeties listed, I believe Thompson, Montgomery, and possibly Johnson are all capable of switching to CB if need be. I think under Claeys system Safeties and Corners are interchangeable.

Because some of these guys will bulk up and play corner some day--plus a guy like Dicke is in play as well.

There are only two problems with this. One, I've never heard of anyone "bulking up" to play corner, it's usually the lightest guys on the team who play there. Corners move to safety, safeties move to linebacker, linebackers move to DE, DEs move to DT. As for the young guys moving positions, I suppose it's possible but this is no longer a case of the staff making moves with Brewster's roster. The 4 sophs have all spent the past year under this staff practicing and playing at safety. As for Johnson, Travis, and Dicke, Claeys said in the signing day videos that they were brought in as safeties.

Watkins is at corner, isn't he? Also, someone like KJ Maye could conceivably play corner.

I'm not sure about Watkins. I like your idea with Maye though, he seems like he could have the size, speed, and instincts to play corner if he was moved.

1) Galt is right
2) It is not my impression that corners are interchangeable with safeties in Claeys system except in an emergency. I do not believe either the run support responsibilities or pass coverage responsibilities are the same. (They would not bother differentiating them when discussing them at commitment events if it did not make any difference which position they played.) The boundary and field corners are not even the same position in this system and they are not looking for the same player for those two roles, although some corners would do well anywhere.

I shouldn't of used the word interchangeable. I just think they needed to find safeties so I think they tried everyone out there this spring. But I don't think that they will leave 6 underclassmen at safety and only have two CB's.

I could see Thompson or Montgomery moving to Boundary corner this fall or next spring (because they are similar in size and speed as Stoudemire) and having Boddy and Murray as Field corners.

Next year:

BCB- Baltazar, Thompson(possibly), Montgomery(possibly), Brookins(RS)
FCB- SHabazz, Boddy, Murray, Myrick(if he commits, RS)
Safeties- Vereen, Wells, Levine, Johnson, Travis, Incoming Freshman(RS)

Just my thoughts on some of the comments in this thread. . .

- John Galt is right, our situation at CB is a bit light. We need to add a couple guys (Brookins and at least 1 more CB) in the next class

- As other people have said, CB and S are more interchangeable in our system than in other systems. Thompson and Montgomery could certainly make the switch. I don't think a guy like Dicke will play CB, I see him much more as S who could bulk up to LB than I do as a kid who could ever play CB.

- It'll be interesting to see what happens with Boddy. He is a CB, but I really wouldn't be surprised to see him get the RS label next season.

- We also have a kid walking on this season named Cavonte Johnson. He's a walk-on, but he's a pretty talented and smart kid (also a Bill Gates Scholarship award winner). I wouldn't be shocked if he turns into an "Aaron Hill" type in our defensive backfield.

Who was that Rochester (I think) JuCo player that had like 25 interceptions last year? Anyone have any insight or idea if he's a Big Ten caliber player?

Top Bottom