Hammer and Rails Preview of Purdue vs Minnesota

You give me Minnesota +18 in this game and I'll wager more on this game than I have on any other game in my life.

Maybe it's like a video game--2012 Purdue vs. 2011 Minnesota. There also may be time machines and alternate universes involved here.

Living in a town without women (good looking ones, anyway) leads to delusional thinking. You gotta fantasize about something, and if getting laid is outside the realm of possibility...

What's really scary is these clowns think they can hold serve against SCum and the bucknuts, too. As FDL posted, give me the 18 points, and I'll throw my house title on the table!

Maybe it's like a video game--2012 Purdue vs. 2011 Minnesota. There also may be time machines and alternate universes involved here.

Their writer admitted he was working with last year's 2 deep.

It seems like the guy is basing his entire prediction the game last year. Purdue was 1-4 on the road in 2011 and Hope is like 4-11 overall on the road. The only reliable road win for them is Indiana and when you take those two wins away the average margin of victory is 2-1/2 points from being 7-1/2 points. I don't think they are going to blow us out at home like this guy thinks. What is it with the Purdue fans? They are coming to town after a stretch against Michigan, Wisconsin and a road game at Ohio St. They could be 0-3 in the Big 10 playing on the road.

I agree with everything he says. Purdue is my darkhorse contender for the national championship.

People often talk about gauging Kill's progress with the program. Here's an indicator:

When teams like Purdue stop looking at the Gophers as a "game we should win," and start talking about the Gophs as "a tough game," or even a game where the other team "willl be an underdog on paper," then we'll know that Kill is changing perceptions about the Gopher program.

Or, to put it another way, we'll know Kill is making progress when the Gophers go from a team that other teams WANT to play, to a team that other teams DON'T WANT to play.

I'll say this - that Purdue game last year was butt ugly. Hopefully, that will cause Purdue to be like the writer of this article, and under-estimate the Gophs in 2012.

Purdue may (and even probably) will beat Minnesota, but the assertion or suggestion that they will compete for anything better than 4th place (at very best) in the East division is flat-out asinine.

When teams like Purdue stop looking at the Gophers as a "game we should win," and start talking about the Gophs as "a tough game," or even a game where the other team "willl be an underdog on paper," then we'll know that Kill is changing perceptions about the Gopher program.

I agree with this. I think it was early 90s and I was watching the news after a unpleasant loss to Indiana. It was Wacker era. They had a brief interview with a Hoosier player saying this is a team we should and we did. It was tough day to be a gopher fan since Indiana wasn't that good either. It will take a while to get fans to change their perception, but the coaches and players will change fairly quickly.

I'll say this - that Purdue game last year was butt ugly.
And this is one major reason Purdue fans feel the way they do. They stopped caring about MN after the Purdue game so their memories of last season were spanking a Gophers team that had already lost to NMSU, NDSU, and had gotten flattened by Michigan before Purdue whooped up on them.

Sure, that's a lazy way to look at it given the strides the team took after the bye week. Hopefully the Gophers bust up that mindset quickly.

Purdue may (and even probably) will beat Minnesota, but the assertion or suggestion that they will compete for anything better than 4th place (at very best) in the East division is flat-out asinine.

The Hammer and Rails website is run by a bunch of rubes and I honestly rarely visit the site. Too many factual errors and the writers are too homer-ish for me.

That being said, Purdue fans thinking they have a shot at a top 3 finish in their division is no more preposterous than Gopher fans thinking they're a bowl team this year.

That being said, Purdue fans thinking they have a shot at a top 3 finish in their division is no more preposterous than Gopher fans thinking they're a bowl team this year.

Very few think they are a bowl team. Many recognize that a bowl is at least possible, just very unlikely.

The Hammer and Rails website is run by a bunch of rubes and I honestly rarely visit the site. Too many factual errors and the writers are too homer-ish for me.

Top 3? I thought they were a darkhorse candidate to head to Indianpolis? All I know is that the Gophers have a guaranteed win against the Illini, because they pushed them up and down the field last year, so that automatically gives them a win in 2012.

Top 3? I thought they were a darkhorse candidate to head to Indianpolis? All I know is that the Gophers have a guaranteed win against the Illini, because they pushed them up and down the field last year, so that automatically gives them a win in 2012.

Yes, the planets and stars have aligned themselves or Purdue to possibly play in the B1G title game. I won't be holding my breathe but it wouldn't be Miracle on Ice II if it were to happen. If OSU wins the division, the 2nd place team goes to Indy - ala UCLA last year in the PAC12. Purdue gets Wisconsin, PSU, and Michigan at home, and goes to Iowa City and Columbus. Somehow find a way to go 3-2 in those games and TCOB vs. Minnesota, Illinois, and IU and 6-2 could make it to Indy (if OSU wins the division).

Honestly though I'm thinking 7-5 and a lower tier bowl game. Unless Purdue has a Drew Brees type impact player - that is all I really expect year in and year out.

Question on the Ge'Shun Harris note.

I saw him on campus today with a backpack, heading to classes I presume. Anyone know any details? Does his scholarship run through the summer and he's gone?

Top Bottom