1500: Breaking down the Gophers WRs: Search is on for a go-to threat

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Matt Limegrover's take on ... Brandon Green

"I think one of the things Brandon has done a great job at is that he's molded himself over the last 4½ years from being a kid with great physical skills, who could go out there and beat you just because he was a great athlete, to being more of a cerebral player. ... So, he can make up for some of the physical things that hold him back, because he is a guy that MarQueis knows. He's going to be where he's supposed to be and that is a great security blanket for a quarterback to have a veteran guy like that."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...hers_WRs_Search_is_on_for_a_goto_threat071012

Go Gophers!!

I think that our wr position is the biggest achielle's heel on offense. If we have no passing threat Gray will have no room to run, plus even if we have a great RB we wil never know because every defense will stack the line. We have to have a legitimate downfield threat otherwise our offense wil look pathetic. More worrisome is the fact that after watching the spring game our receivers looked god awful. I am very concerned about our receivers.

I think that our wr position is the biggest achielle's heel on offense. If we have no passing threat Gray will have no room to run, plus even if we have a great RB we wil never know because every defense will stack the line. We have to have a legitimate downfield threat otherwise our offense wil look pathetic. More worrisome is the fact that after watching the spring game our receivers looked god awful. I am very concerned about our receivers.

Don't get me wrong, I know our receivers are one of the weakest areas of the team, but how many of our receivers actually played in the spring game? Weren't at least a couple out due to injuries? Also no Harbison or McDonald in the spring game.

Hear that, boys? Someones one gotta step up and take it to a new level. We landed some pretty good talent with MacDonald et-al. The whole Gopher Nation is looking for a new legend. You're in the here and now - show yourself this fall and make it yours. No second chances in big time football.

I can't speak to whether our receivers are coordinated, have good hands, can run good routes, or have the quickness needed to get separation. I can say they are the fastest group of wide receivers Minnesota has ever had. I'm really looking forward to what they can do.

You know, sometimes we can get surprised by what receivers can do. From my recollection, Decker was not a highly sought after recruit, but he worked his ass off, got bigger every year, was tough as nails, and had a wonderful relationship with the qb. This led to getting better and better every year, as well as being the main target.

I have a feeling that if any of our receivers surprise us by becoming "the guy" this year. It will be Fruechte. Something about him screams over-achiever to me.

Sent from my PLAYSTATION PHONE using tapatalk

There will be a guy. We don't know who it is, but I bet we'll have a good idea around 11:00 PM PT August 30...no later than 2:00 CT September 8.

This year our offensive line should be smokin hot. MG will be a presence! Our backs will be high steppin in the end zone. And, the receivers will be jumping up into the crowd and be the crown jewel of the hot diggity dang, best gopher offense ever....

Bring it on! Bring em on! The Gophers own this town!

Jones has shown the ability to take it to the house at any given moment. He and Crawford-Tufts are the two I think will step up, both are extremely athletic and lightening fast, and now have a year of experience. Gray's continual improvement in accuracy and knowledge of the passing game is going to make a difference in some games this season, something we did not have last year.

I think Moulton has the ability to be really good. He can get open. Once he gets over the drops, look out.

You know, sometimes we can get surprised by what receivers can do. From my recollection, Decker was not a highly sought after recruit, but he worked his ass off, got bigger every year, was tough as nails, and had a wonderful relationship with the qb. This led to getting better and better every year, as well as being the main target.

I have a feeling that if any of our receivers surprise us by becoming "the guy" this year. It will be Fruechte. Something about him screams over-achiever to me.

Neither was McKnight.

Neither was McKnight.

Well, there you go.
Here's hoping one of our under the radar guys shows up and plays big before our highly touted freshmen have to be pushed in on gameday.
Redshirting those guys would be ideal.

I think Moulton has the ability to be really good. He can get open. Once he gets over the drops, look out.

GiP, I've heard this line from many on GH. IMO consistently dropping the ball is a pretty big red flag and not a sign of a good WR, so I'll believe it when I see it. Some of the drops were terrible and may have even cost us a chance to win the NW game.

GiP, I've heard this line from many on GH. IMO consistently dropping the ball is a pretty big red flag and not a sign of a good WR, so I'll believe it when I see it. Some of the drops were terrible and may have even cost us a chance to win the NW game.

I do agree with you. I think it's a monkey on his back though. One that I hope he'll be able to shed.

I agree on reservations on Moulton, he dropped more than the rest of the receivers combined. I think you'll see one of the Freshman step up and the other gets red-shirted. Everything I've seen and read indicates McDonald can be the go to receiver, especially in the red zone. He has the size, hands and hops/body control that we're missing. If we're going to have success our o-line will be improved as well as having a threat down the middle with our tight end.

This year our offensive line should be smokin hot. MG will be a presence! Our backs will be high steppin in the end zone. And, the receivers will be jumping up into the crowd and be the crown jewel of the hot diggity dang, best gopher offense ever....

Bring it on! Bring em on! The Gophers own this town!

Totally agree. This O could be amazing! The coaching staff and the team jelled late last season. There is a lot of potential among the wide outs. Several could break out. F-man, DC-T, Harby, A-Mc, and the veterans. Not to mention several H-backs, TEs, and RBs coming out of the backfield. I think the coaches about have this figured out. If the D will step up to give the O some breaks and field position we will have some fun! Kill has usually been a year 3 guy. Maybe, it will be year 2 in Minnesota. We will keep the pig and see each other at a bowl game. The question is "which one?"

My take:
1) McDonald- the real deal but a freshman mentally and will not know the offense well early. Will improve through the year and be a good player by seasons end.
2) Harbison- will also be a good player but not as physically mature. Very good ball skills, will play and contribute and improve every year.
3) Green- great hands, not very fast or strong, will be a second or third threat on most plays, basically a realiable outlet.
4)Jones/Moulton- excellent athletes with good running ability after the catch, but they need to be used as slot receivers to overcome pass catching issues. Moulton can catch the ball when he concentrates, but he is always in a hurry to take off too soon during actual scrimmges.
5) Fruechte- really good athlete but needs mucho work on fundamentals, and just plain improvement in catching the ball consistently. I think he is a slow developer from a skills perspective. Will improve with a lot of work, but will be a lot better next year than this year.
6) DCT- Best upside of anyone who played last year. He can really run and will get bigger and stronger every year. He may be used on short delay passes more than people think because with some room and the ball he can take off. Very smooth fast athlete.
7)Engel/Cesario- I expect one of these guys to step up and make a contribution this year or next. Cesario is a possession receiver type. Engel needs to get stronger, but he can run and catch.
8) I like the last two walk-ons , but expecting anything out of them this fall is pretty silly.
9) Wilson,Keise,Hutton- Who knows, but my expectation is that if they were going to contribute we would have seen it by now. Keise has shown some flashes of ability, but he is not very big or extremely fast or very shifty or durable. A good dback can really straighten him up. He always looks to me like he is going to get decleated out there.

I spent a lot of time watching WRs last spring, and most of them have difficulty adjusting to the ball when covered, which was one of Decker's great strengths; he just did a better job than other players did of judging where the ball was going to be and using his strength and height to take it away. None of the guys on the roster last spring showed that ability in practice, and in fact really struggled with Coach Poore's simple drill of going one way and then have to turn, change directions and catch the ball going the other way.

I know he wasn't highly ranked as a recruit, but I have a sneaking suspicion we will need to learn how to pronounce on-WAH-yoo. This coaching staff has a lot to work with and they know how to get the job done.

My take:
1) McDonald- the real deal but a freshman mentally and will not know the offense well early. Will improve through the year and be a good player by seasons end.
2) Harbison- will also be a good player but not as physically mature. Very good ball skills, will play and contribute and improve every year.
3) Green- great hands, not very fast or strong, will be a second or third threat on most plays, basically a realiable outlet.
4)Jones/Moulton- excellent athletes with good running ability after the catch, but they need to be used as slot receivers to overcome pass catching issues. Moulton can catch the ball when he concentrates, but he is always in a hurry to take off too soon during actual scrimmges.
5) Fruechte- really good athlete but needs mucho work on fundamentals, and just plain improvement in catching the ball consistently. I think he is a slow developer from a skills perspective. Will improve with a lot of work, but will be a lot better next year than this year.
6) DCT- Best upside of anyone who played last year. He can really run and will get bigger and stronger every year. He may be used on short delay passes more than people think because with some room and the ball he can take off. Very smooth fast athlete.
7)Engel/Cesario- I expect one of these guys to step up and make a contribution this year or next. Cesario is a possession receiver type. Engel needs to get stronger, but he can run and catch.
8) I like the last two walk-ons , but expecting anything out of them this fall is pretty silly.
9) Wilson,Keise,Hutton- Who knows, but my expectation is that if they were going to contribute we would have seen it by now. Keise has shown some flashes of ability, but he is not very big or extremely fast or very shifty or durable. A good dback can really straighten him up. He always looks to me like he is going to get decleated out there.

I spent a lot of time watching WRs last spring, and most of them have difficulty adjusting to the ball when covered, which was one of Decker's great strengths; he just did a better job than other players did of judging where the ball was going to be and using his strength and height to take it away. None of the guys on the roster last spring showed that ability in practice, and in fact really struggled with Coach Poore's simple drill of going one way and then have to turn, change directions and catch the ball going the other way.

You can't be saying that McDonald and Harbison will be our #1 and #2 receivers? Both have great upside and will eventually be our #1 and #2 receivers, but I would be quite surprised if they make a large impact this year.

You can't be saying that McDonald and Harbison will be our #1 and #2 receivers? Both have great upside and will eventually be our #1 and #2 receivers, but I would be quite surprised if they make a large impact this year.
Actually, I was not listing them in order of importance at all, just trying to have a process to go through the roster, and I would never have those kinds of expectations of a freshman at any position in any sport, even hoops. However, if McDonald picks up the offense fast, I don't think it is out of the question he could be our best reciver, as far from my normal view as that is. He may be the physically strongest receiver as a freshman, and the most natural receiver in the group, at least that is my expectation. We'll see soon enough. I would expect a group of six to seven WR's to see the bulk of the PT, and I expect he and Harbison will be in that group pretty quickly. The rest would be DCT, Green, Jones, Moulton,and Fruechte.
I would include some other guys with less athletic ability if any of them had shown the ability to hang on to the ball better than the more athletic players, but so far I have not seen that.

Top Bottom