Seantrel Henderson

It's all fine and dandy. Michael Bauer once told an acquaintance of mine (who is very tied to Mn BB) that the fathers of Mssrs. Rickert, Pryzbilla, and Humphries interfered at practice and game days on a continual basis. Unfortunately, Monson let them do it. Off subject, but what I mean to say is that overly involved parents destroy more athletes than help--and as a side effect, can destroy a team or program. Bauer basically implied that it ruined his basketball career at Mn, and nearly his desire to play BB.

Spot on. There is nothing worse than parents who coddle there kids, shower them with positive affirmations, treat them as friends, live their lives through them, and worse yet run their lives (e.g., I love you, you're special, you're the best, you can do no wrong, BFF, I love you, blah, blah, blah). They're poison and a the main reason many kids today are soft and can't think for themselves. These parents should be rounded up and permanently sent to a special reservation in Siberia.

mostly right except the camp should be in the US version of Siberia, North Dakota.

corcoran its pretty hot up here right now!

Pryzz and Humpries are FAR from busts no reason to hate on sentreal or the stanford linebacker.

SportingNews has Henderson as one of the top ten recruiting busts.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...ing-busts-all-time-misses-five-star-prospects

Having Scott and Henderson on that list is absolutely laughable.

For Scott, it didn't turn out how everyone thought but he had over 800 yards one season and is currently in the NFL and he is on the list with guys who never took a collegiate snap and ended up finishing their careers at D3 schools, heck, some of them are in prison. I'd say Scott was a bit of a let down, but next to most of the guys on this list....he is an absolute success.

The same goes for Seantrel. He played a lot in the last two seasons (so his collegiate PT is more than everyone on this list with the possible exception of Scott). Literally....the knocks on Seantrel in this article are that he had back surgery and was suspended for part of practice. Don't get me wrong, it's bad, but not as bad as the rest of these guys...
Whitney Lewis - TOP USC recruit - Bad academics, ended up being a backup at Northern Iowa
Rouse - Got kicked out of FSU, UTEP, Texas Southern and ended up at Concorida in Alabama
Williams - #1 LB in the nation. . .never played a down, is now in prison
Alaeze - Signed with MAryland, didn't get in to school, got arrested and had offer pulled. He signed with Illinois, and played 1 game and quit the team....he is now in prison for 5 years.
Calhoun - top RB recruit in nation. . .did nothing at Oklahoma, under 300 yards and finished D2

So if Seantrel never takes another snap of college football, he was more succesful than these players.

He wasn't inside the district, therefore couldn't ride a school bus. I'm betting Humphries didn't ride a bus of any kind.

Private Schools send buses all over the metro to pick up students. At least they did when I went to HM. But they did cost money. I'm sure the MTC was cheaper.

Private Schools send buses all over the metro to pick up students. At least they did when I went to HM. But they did cost money. I'm sure the MTC was cheaper.

When I went to Cretin, we didn't have a bus system to pick up kids all over the metro. Most of my friends who didn't come from a ton of money and weren't close....took the city bus.

I don't really think it's a big deal though, I think the stigma of riding public transportation is largely a suburban stigma. It was only a pain in the butt for a guy like Shady who had to make multiple transfers.

Holy Angels currently has a private bus system.

I am not saying it's right, but I think people expect more from a #1 recruit. Especially one who did so much to draw attention to himself and then has a series of well-publicized discipline problems. Getting people to pay attention to you can have negative consequences too.

I am not saying it's right, but I think people expect more from a #1 recruit. Especially one who did so much to draw attention to himself and then has a series of well-publicized discipline problems. Getting people to pay attention to you can have negative consequences too.

My opinion:
He handled his recruitment the exact opposite way you'd hope he would.
He very well may resurrect his career, but he took advice from alot of bad people and handled everything very poorly. I'm not even saying he'd be better off here, but he took advice from Lane Kiffin, his rapper dad, and Bryant Mckinnie.

The fact that he's now being looked at as a bust is premature, but the criticism he's getting is deserved and wouldn't have been an issue if he hadn't been around people feeding him BS and telling him how great he is.
He needed someone to keep him humble and challenge him.

Absolutely. That is why it is fair to say he has been a bust so far (as peculiar as that as for a guy in his 3rd season of college football), but to compare him with the 10 biggest busts of all time is absolutely insane.

He had a very good freshman year by anyone's standards, followed by a horrid Sophomore year in terms of attitude and health. He has followed that up with another disappointing offseason. Yep. . . he deserves criticism and he deserves some people questioning if he will live up to his potential.

However, that article was listing him along with a handful of players who are in prison, who never took an NCAA D1 snap, who got kicked out of 3+ schools, etc. He has ALREADY accomplished more than those players. That's not saying much, I understand. I really wasn't coming to his defense because it's a low standard, I was just pointing out the absurdity of the article.

It would be like saying that Troy Stoudermire has been as big of a bust as Kevin Whaley. It's absurd.

From the Miami Herald: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...-newsy-notes-from-day-3-of-um-canes-camp.html

As you no doubt know by now, offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson has missed the first three days of University of Miami football camp, and not many would be surprised if he were out again Monday for Day Four.

Al Golden seems to give his players chances to grow and learn from any shortcomings, but I suspect patience is wearing very thin -- and that has nothing to do with the funeral Seantrel returned to Minnesota to attend.

My updated story will be online later at MiamiHerald.com. No revelations. But coaches are obviously already making position shifts, or practicing different combinations, on the offensive line. I know Art Kehoe believes in doing that anyway, but I still think they're preparing just in case.

Golden said Jermaine Johnson is now playing tackle instead of guard (he's listed as a guard on the newest depth chart), and Jon Feliciano, who says he's still a guard, practiced yesterday at right tackle. Not sure about Sunday because the line just did blocking drills while reporters were there for our 15 minutes of viewing. Feliciano told us that freshman Ereck Flowers was practicing as the first-team right tackle.

Anybody with any insight on the funeral?

It's tough to fault a kid for skipping practice to be at a funeral. Even if he has been out of state for 4 practices.

I actually now feel bad for Henderson.

I was at the Gopher hoops game sitting not too far from Henderson when Brewster named him the host/ambassador for the weekend when a list of recruits were in town. He was the big show that day and he knew it. He was too good to go to school at the U, but as a favor to his home school, he'd use his star power to show the 2nd/3rd tier recruits a good time. At the time I was more appalled that Brewster was so shameless that he would give the duties to an uncommitted recruit he had little chance to land and it cheapened the program, I was equally appalled that Maturi let it happen.

Fast forward three years and this looks like another instance where the kid was steered in the wrong direction by adults who should have known better. It was so obvious from my vantage point that day Henderson wasn't prepared handle the accolades handed to him.

At this point maybe getting bounced out of Miami by Golden would be a good thing for Henderson if he has learned enough not to listen to his dad, and ignore the in-coming calls if they say Lane Kiffin. As bad as it was for the program to lose Royce White, but is he where he is now if he didn't go to Ames?

It was always incredible to me that the Cretin coaches didn't have more input into his recruitment. How many D1 recruits have they had over there?
They probably had seen every recruiter trick/trap/piece of bad advice in their time. Assumingly SH respected his HS coaches, they could(maybe should) have stepped in and put some cold water on the hot smoke being blown around him.

It was always incredible to me that the Cretin coaches didn't have more input into his recruitment. How many D1 recruits have they had over there?
They probably had seen every recruiter trick/trap/piece of bad advice in their time. Assumingly SH respected his HS coaches, they could(maybe should) have stepped in and put some cold water on the hot smoke being blown around him.

Maybe they did have imput...

Anybody with any insight on the funeral?

It's tough to fault a kid for skipping practice to be at a funeral. Even if he has been out of state for 4 practices.

I heard it was the funeral for Jordan Hughes who was laid to rest last Thursday. I'm just passing along what I heard. I was told that they grew up playing ball together.

Of course they had some input, but they don't make those decisions. I had a lot of good friends who were heavily recruited out of HS and the coaches do assist the kids but there really is only so much they can do before they are overstepping their bounds. If the problem was Seantrel's father, there is only so much a coach can do. They give the kids the info, give them their opinion, and let the kid and his parents make the decision.

It's really a delicate dance for the coaching staff.

I am not 100% sure that his recruitment has been his problem (besides it possibly going to his head). There are a lot of kids who have a lot of success who go to USC or who go to Miami. I don't think the fact that he was interested in USC/Miami is a sign that he was going to have some behavior problems. There are plenty of kids who get drawn in by the glitz and glamour of those schools who don't have problems. I think his problems are more his own immaturiy in handling freedom and ego than it was part of the recruiting process.

If I had to guess, I'd imagine it was more of a situation of a kid who was on a fairly tight leash growing up, he got away from home, believed his own hype, experienced some difficulty (injury), and dug himself a hole. There is still a long ways to go in his career and he has already had a fantastic season (his FR season), so hopefully he can grow up and re-establish himself.

What exactly is the to-do about someone else getting his reps while he's absent for a funeral? Should he have skipped the funeral? Should they have suspended practice while he was gone?

This stinks of a writer with no news to report.

What exactly is the to-do about someone else getting his reps while he's absent for a funeral? Should he have skipped the funeral? Should they have suspended practice while he was gone?

This stinks of a writer with no news to report.

It feels like some people have been eagerly awaiting his demise. (Hence his listing on the "all-time bust" list earlier.) Not saying the Herald writers, but like you said, he attended a funeral and wasn't in town, yet some people act like cursed out the coach during practice, while lighting up a meth pipe.

Expired license....not suspended. They all have expiration dates and if you don't renew it on time you are driving illegally. Not smart, but not really a sign of past criminal activity either.

Top Bottom