Seantrel Henderson

Showed up late to team drills according to Bleacher Report or ESPN. Normally not a huge deal but its been a pattern and they're already in sanctions.

I know I screwed off a lot in college, but I didn't have a 20-40 million dollar pay day waiting for me. Some kids (my son is this way) are extremely talented but don't have the drive or the will to be the best. That is what sets the Michael Jordan's and the Jerry Rice's apart. 2 years of uninspired football at Miami. Either the kid has the work ethic or he doesn't, and the proof is in the pudding.

I know he's just a kid but come on! Why piss away freakish size\athletic skills and a possible NFL future? Somebody needs to smack him upside the head right now!! In many cases it's not always better to leave the state.

Al Golden is a good coach, I think he can get him turned around.

This has always been the knock on Seantrell, that he doesn't love football, just happens to be ideal size/talent with a golden future in the NFL & thus is supposed to play football. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I know I screwed off a lot in college, but I didn't have a 20-40 million dollar pay day waiting for me. Some kids (my son is this way) are extremely talented but don't have the drive or the will to be the best. That is what sets the Michael Jordan's and the Jerry Rice's apart. 2 years of uninspired football at Miami. Either the kid has the work ethic or he doesn't, and the proof is in the pudding.

He had 1 year of uninspired football. His freshman season, he was a freshman All-American and the highest graded OL on the entire team. He had about as good of a freshman season as possible for an OL. His SO season (now), he's been a disappointment. That has been equal parts health and attitude related. It hasn't been anything too egregious. Sometimes these guys have setbacks and they have a wakeup call. Hageman had a terrible 2nd season at the U. He had attitude problems and academic issues and he has seemed to work through most of them.

He had attitude problems and academic issues and he has seemed to work through most of them.

Huh? He was suspended just four months ago and now there are unconfirmed reports he may be in trouble again from last week.

Al Golden is a good coach, I think he can get him turned around.

Holy Jamarcus Russell, Batman! The only difference is that noone will be wasting a #1 draft pick on Seantrel. Not even the Raiders. And JaMarcus was smart enough to wait until AFTER draft day to show that he was a screw-up.

Huh? He was suspended just four months ago and now there are unconfirmed reports he may be in trouble again from last week.

I think he was talking about Hageman.

Highly-touted MN player leaves state for another program + encounters problems = gloating (or sighs of relief).

Someone needs to get in a helicopter and go try and talk some sense to him.

I was talking about Hageman seeming to have worked through most of his issues. It is TBD if Henderson is able to get his attitude in order.

Highly-touted MN player leaves state for another program + encounters problems = gloating (or sighs of relief).

There is a weird thing with MN that people assume that when you leave, you will get into trouble. There are plenty of athletes who stay who have some hiccups and there are plenty of athletes who leave who don't have those same hiccups.

Couldn't disagree more with Bob. Henderson was a coddled child who has never grown up. I knew from the way he handled his recruitment, and from the way his father talked about him, that he would be a bust. That is why when many of you on this board were so devastated when he committed to USC and then went to Miami instead of MN I personally felt no angst.

He's a bust. It means nothing for the Gophers. Get over it.

He had 1 year of uninspired football. His freshman season, he was a freshman All-American and the highest graded OL on the entire team. He had about as good of a freshman season as possible for an OL. His SO season (now), he's been a disappointment. That has been equal parts health and attitude related. It hasn't been anything too egregious. Sometimes these guys have setbacks and they have a wakeup call. Hageman had a terrible 2nd season at the U. He had attitude problems and academic issues and he has seemed to work through most of them.

And for the record, his So season was last year, not "now". He is a Jr, and he is still a disappointment, but only to those who expected more from him.

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mifl-m-footbl-mtt.html

5 words and a number............Walker Lee Ashley III Willie Mobley

Couldn't disagree more with Bob. Henderson was a coddled child who has never grown up. I knew from the way he handled his recruitment, and from the way his father talked about him, that he would be a bust. That is why when many of you on this board were so devastated when he committed to USC and then went to Miami instead of MN I personally felt no angst.

He's a bust. It means nothing for the Gophers. Get over it.

What exactly are you disagreeing with me about? I felt no angst when he didn't sign with the U, mainly because I never thought we stood a chance. A lot of players act like primadonnas during the recruiting process, including plenty of players who are succesful.

And for the record, his So season was last year, not "now". He is a Jr, and he is still a disappointment, but only to those who expected more from him.

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mifl-m-footbl-mtt.html

However you want to label it. He's been there for two years, he just finished his second season at Miami. I think everyone here understood my point. If you want to argue semantics about this, go right ahead. I doubt he is a JR academically and he has yet to start his third year at Miami. That's somewhere between a JR and a SO. It's really beside the point however, my entire point was that his second season at Miami was not very good. His first season was very good, no debate about that.

I've never argued that he hasn't been a disappointment. I don't think any program expects the #1/#2 recruit in the nation to have a bad SO season in terms of health and attitude. I'm sure they expected him to be their bookend LT last season and he wasn't. So yep, he was a disappointment. I don't know why that comment was directed towards me.

Your insinuation that you didn't expect much from him is bizarre. Is it based upon the fact that he was a primadonna during the recruiting process? Does that theory hold to every player who was a bit of a primadonna while being recruited? Andre McDonald? I could make a list of a ton of really good college football players who were primadonnas during the process if you'd like. . .

However you want to label it. He's been there for two years, he just finished his second season at Miami. I think everyone here understood my point. If you want to argue semantics about this, go right ahead. I doubt he is a JR academically and he has yet to start his third year at Miami. That's somewhere between a JR and a SO. It's really beside the point however, my entire point was that his second season at Miami was not very good. His first season was very good, no debate about that.

I've never argued that he hasn't been a disappointment. I don't think any program expects the #1/#2 recruit in the nation to have a bad SO season in terms of health and attitude. I'm sure they expected him to be their bookend LT last season and he wasn't. So yep, he was a disappointment. I don't know why that comment was directed towards me.

Your insinuation that you didn't expect much from him is bizarre. Is it based upon the fact that he was a primadonna during the recruiting process? Does that theory hold to every player who was a bit of a primadonna while being recruited? Andre McDonald? I could make a list of a ton of really good college football players who were primadonnas during the process if you'd like. . .

Probably more of how his father handled his recruiting process. I think that spoke volumes about how the young man had been raised and pampered. Pampered people, in my experience, rarely live up to expectations.

I apologize for misunderstanding your original post.

Probably more of how his father handled his recruiting process. I think that spoke volumes about how the young man had been raised and pampered. Pampered people, in my experience, rarely live up to expectations.

I apologize for misunderstanding your original post.

Very good point. There is a definite correlation between blue chip recruits being a bust and the presence of a psycho dad. Joel Pryxbilla and Kris Humphries are also poster children for this affliction

Very good point. There is a definite correlation between blue chip recruits being a bust and the presence of a psycho dad. Joel Pryxbilla and Kris Humphries are also poster children for this affliction

Yeah, it's hard to tell though because there are different variations of the "psycho dad". There are certainly examples of good football players who have overbearing fathers (Mannings for one/two). I also don't think I'd consider Pryzbilla and Humphries to be busts. Humphries played on terrible teams but he has ha a nice NBA career and was good with the Gophers. Pryz was/is annoying, but the same could be said for him.

Seantrel's situation was a bit different. It's been pretty well reported, so I have no problem talking about it. But, Sean Henderson was barely in his son's life until the end of the line. He was a Johnny-come-lately who appeared to be cashing on his son's football abilities. I don't know the Henderson family personally, but this is what has been widely reported. Sean Henderson wasn't an overbearing father like Kris Humphries' dad who seemed to be overbearing like constantly looking out for his kid/wanting his kid to get different kind of treatment. Seantrel's father seemed to be a guy who was trying to use his son to get things for himself. So both kind of psycho, but different flavors of psycho.

dude rode Metro Transit bus to Cretin, not that coddled.

dude rode Metro Transit bus to Cretin, not that coddled.

LOL - Okay - I will bite. I have to assume that you are being sarcastic but just in case you are not some people would say riding the Metro Transit bus instead of a school bus might be coddling. On the other hand when I went to high school I had to walk two miles up hill both ways. Different perspectives.

He wasn't inside the district, therefore couldn't ride a school bus. I'm betting Humphries didn't ride a bus of any kind.

I heard a rumor (emphasis on rumor) that the moment he was ranked the #1 prospect in the nation it got to his head and he started slacking. The person who told me this claims he developed Seantral's H.S. recruiting video. Although his freshman season would seem to contradict this claim (i.e., starter as a true freshman), the circus act surrounding his recruitment and the apparent off field shenanigans would seem to suggest that he may be one of those entitlement head cases. If so, I'm glad he's someone else's problem.

Go Gophers!

He wasn't inside the district, therefore couldn't ride a school bus. I'm betting Humphries didn't ride a bus of any kind.

So are saying since Seantrel had ride the Metro that is proof that he wasn't coddled?

This thread is kind of pathetic - dissecting the life of a student athlete.

I also don't think I'd consider Pryzbilla and Humphries to be busts. Humphries played on terrible teams but he has ha a nice NBA career and was good with the Gophers. Pryz was/is annoying, but the same could be said for him.

It's all fine and dandy. Michael Bauer once told an acquaintance of mine (who is very tied to Mn BB) that the fathers of Mssrs. Rickert, Pryzbilla, and Humphries interfered at practice and game days on a continual basis. Unfortunately, Monson let them do it. Off subject, but what I mean to say is that overly involved parents destroy more athletes than help--and as a side effect, can destroy a team or program. Bauer basically implied that it ruined his basketball career at Mn, and nearly his desire to play BB.

Top Bottom