!4 "ships" available.....

Reaction score
From DL65 recap this morning with Sid ( BYW, thanks DL65) Kill said they had 14 to give out for next years class. I was a bit concerned that we only had one committment so far especially after all the visits during Spring practice. With 14 and depth concerns at a few positions, I can see why they have to be selective. I hate to say it, but I think Gjere is done with football. Lets hope I'm wrong and both he and Campion will be ready this fall.

Campion played in the spring game so not sure if he has a problem. Gjere might be done but at least they have a bunch of guys who can fill in.

It certainly sounds like Gjere's career is potentially over, which is too bad since he seemed like a kid with a lot of upside. Lenkiewicz, Bush and Campion have their work cut out for them.

Yeah, the stuff with Gjere is scary.

Hopefully he makes the decision that is best for him, he's a young man and while playing at the U would be awesome (for him and us as fans), it might not be in his future.

As far as that "14" available scholarships. . .things usually open up a bit more. Every program in the country loses players to attrition, especially in first couple years of a new coach. That number will likely be closer to 18.

Admittedly, I'm late to the party and have been pretty out of the loop regarding the team; but what's up with Gjere?

Admittedly, I'm late to the party and have been pretty out of the loop regarding the team; but what's up with Gjere?

He suffered two concussions last year. One during the spring and one in October during the Michigan game. He didn't play after the last concussion and wasn't cleared to practice this spring. In addition, Coach Kill has stated he might not be ready for Fall Camp...

This story will fill you in http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/03/30/12/Gophers-exercise-caution-with-concussion/landing_gophers.html?blockID=699480

Thanks for the link, from reading the article it seems like there are not currently any plans for Gjere to give up football. I think the cautious approach to concussions at both the college and pro level is a step in the right direction.

Thanks for the link, from reading the article it seems like there are not currently any plans for Gjere to give up football. I think the cautious approach to concussions at both the college and pro level is a step in the right direction.

True. But he won't be rushing back onto the field either, as evidenced by Coach Kills remarks.

Sid asked about injuries and Brendan Beal: Kill didn't respond specifically to Beal's name. However, he did say he expects everyone to be ready for fall drills except Jimmy Gjere. He said he was "concerned" about Gjere. They'll be cautious and wait for the go ahead by the medical staff. He emphasized concussions are a serious injury and are not taken lightly. He briefly mentioned Josh Campion and his trials with his concussion-related injury and that he went through only a portion of the spring drills.

Concussions are a tricky injury to say the least. But the fact that he has been out since October, has missed spring practice, and won't be ready for fall camp would make anyone wonder if we have seen the last of Gjere.

His teammates feel similar.

"Jim and I are good buddies. I pray that he comes through it because he's a good guy," Campion said. "I want to see him play again."

This has reached a scary level. If they are already saying he will not be ready for an event that is 3 months away, he will not be playing in 2012. I would assume at the least that a medical redshirt is in store, but that would require a 6th year NCAA waiver, as Gjere has used his redshirt.

As discussed here many times, some people are physically more prone to concussion than others. I wish Jimmy the best, but the prognosis here--for a football player at a high level--is grim. We can't forget that Brooks Michel's budding career was ended recently by concussion.

This has reached a scary level. If they are already saying he will not be ready for an event that is 3 months away, he will not be playing in 2012. I would assume at the least that a medical redshirt is in store, but that would require a 6th year NCAA waiver, as Gjere has used his redshirt.

As discussed here many times, some people are physically more prone to concussion than others. I wish Jimmy the best, but the prognosis here--for a football player at a high level--is grim. We can't forget that Brooks Michel's budding career was ended recently by concussion.

Scary. Sad. But true. It would be unfortunate to lose a player of Gjere's caliber. But he needs to do what's best for his health. I am glad professional and now collegiate athletics are putting the athlete first by taking a more cautious approach with concussions. We will see what happens.

It's kind of funny how a player like Beal, who has torn his ACL twice is in line to make a comeback (or a debut) but Gjere who hasn't suffered any breaks/tears/fractures, etc is in limbo. It shows how concussions are a very tricky injury...Really, only times heals concussions.

Top Bottom