Ernie Wheelwright turns traitor faster then he dropped TD passes....

If you truly want something/someone to succeed you never do a 180 for the enemy.

If he was a true Gopher he would have said something along the lines of "I am a Gopher for life and am disappointed my bro choose the Badgers, but I wish him nothing but the best in what he chooses for his life and will support him no matter what. Go Gophers"

There's ways to support your brothers decision and remain loyal to your school. For example he could have said "little brother is a badger...let the rivalry begin" or "brother commits to Wisconsin..red and white fan except the week they play MN."

There's ways to support your brothers decision and remain loyal to your school. For example he could have said "little brother is a badger...let the rivalry begin" or "brother commits to Wisconsin..red and white fan except the week they play MN."

Rule #1: Don't tell anyone else what to do.

As much as I would love to be able to point to a former Gopher talking bad about the program, I just do not see this as the case. I haven't read more about the situation besides the original tweet, but I think that some people are reading too much into the situation/Tweet. I think Ernie is still very grateful for the opportunity the Gophers gave him, and for four wonderful years of college he spent at the U of M. Keep in mind Ernie and his entire family were in Madison during the recruiting visit and that his brother had literally just committed. Ernie's tweet was how all of the Badger recruiting websites found out about his brother's commitment to UW by the way. I just think he was very excited and made a quick, and not a very well thought out, Tweet that was meant to convey his excitement for his brother's future. That being said, I do see why some Gopher fans are upset, but I just feel like there isn't much to read into the situation beyond him being happy for his brother and that he will be rooting for his brother (and therefore the Badgers) moving forward.

Obviously not.
Complete lack of class and loyalty, really almost sad the lack of integrity he shows by saying this crap on twitter. If his brother shows the same loyalty he'll be a great Badger, will fit right in with that weasel punter you had last year, and your dbag head coach. Enjoy!

If you truly want something/someone to succeed you never do a 180 for the enemy.

If he was a true Gopher he would have said something along the lines of "I am a Gopher for life and am disappointed my bro choose the Badgers, but I wish him nothing but the best in what he chooses for his life and will support him no matter what. Go Gophers"

You think he should have said that he's disappointed that his brother chose the Badgers? Good God hahaha.

But what if there is no rivalry and what if he actually is a fan when the Badgers play the Gophers? Not all U of M players hate Wisconsin...that usually applies mostly to the kids that grew up Gopher fans, and Ernie is not one of them.

Obviously not.
Complete lack of class and loyalty, really almost sad the lack of integrity he shows by saying this crap on twitter. If his brother shows the same loyalty he'll be a great Badger, will fit right in with that weasel punter you had last year, and your dbag head coach. Enjoy!

:clap:So mad bahahahaha

But what if there is no rivalry and what if he actually is a fan when the Badgers play the Gophers? Not all U of M players hate Wisconsin...that usually applies mostly to the kids that grew up Gopher fans, and Ernie is not one of them.

Yes. Yes they do.
I understand you are stupid, since you associate with wisconsin and all, but even you should know this.

/end feeding troll/

Spoken like somebody who has never played collegiate athletics.

I played HS sports in a relatively small town, rival school just 10 miles down the road. Competed against them in four different sports all through Elementary, Junior High, and HS especially. A true hated rival.

Played four years of college football and I hated our biggest rival TEN TIMES more than the HS rival by the time I had been on campus for two-a-days for two weeks

It would take a LOT, LOT, LOT more than a sibling playing for that rival for me to turn my back on the program for which I gave EVERYTHING for four years. Then again, maybe Ernie didn't give everything, who knows.

Side note: Don't flatter yourself that much. At least to ME, this has a lot more to do with turning your back on your program/school than it has to do with where his brother is going. Didn't have to be Wisconsin, it could have been a number of other schools. Ernie is obviously carrying some baggage that none of us are aware of if he feels this way. Good luck to him in dealing with that.

"Ernie is obviously carrying some baggage that none of us are aware of if he feels this way. Good luck to him in dealing with that. "

Just to be fair, Ernie would have played three years under Mason that were relatively ok and then saw Maturi fire Mason after the bowl, hire Brewster late to coach his senior year- the year he was hoping to become a relatively high draft pick on a 1-11 team. I suspect a few in his year felt a little bit cheated by what happened.

I can think of 3-4 more games the Gophers would have won had Wheels not dropped a pass or made just a 'hard" catch . The dreaded Michigan meltdown was one of them.

C'mon, you can't expect him to root against his own brother. I totally get the point about him being loyal to his family over his alma mater, I just think he could have phrased it much more diplomatically (grammar aside)

Spoken like somebody who has never played collegiate athletics.
I never have played college athletics. I do, however, know several current and former players on Wisconsin and on Minnesota, and the majority of them do not hate the other team. This is especially true of the Wisconsin players, who, in most case, simply view Minnesota as another Big Ten team.

I played HS sports in a relatively small town, rival school just 10 miles down the road. Competed against them in four different sports all through Elementary, Junior High, and HS especially. A true hated rival.
Sounds uber-intense bro

Played four years of college football and I hated our biggest rival TEN TIMES more than the HS rival by the time I had been on campus for two-a-days for two weeks
Settle down Uncle Rico

It would take a LOT, LOT, LOT more than a sibling playing for that rival for me to turn my back on the program for which I gave EVERYTHING for four years. Then again, maybe Ernie didn't give everything, who knows.
Supporting his brother (and therefore Wisconsin) is not the equivalent of turning his back the Gophers. Again, in my opinion, there are some people reading wayyyy to much into this situation.

Side note: Don't flatter yourself that much.
WTF does this even mean? How am I flattering myself? Idiot. Hahaha.

At least to ME, this has a lot more to do with turning your back on your program/school than it has to do with where his brother is going. Didn't have to be Wisconsin, it could have been a number of other schools.
What do you mean it could have been a number of other schools? His brother wants to be a Badger...it would be very random for him to start supporting Northwestern or something...

Ernie is obviously carrying some baggage that none of us are aware of if he feels this way. Good luck to him in dealing with that.
Says the guy getting bent out of shape over what a former player says about his program in a meaningless Tweet.

Ole said:
Yes. Yes they do.
I understand you are stupid, since you associate with wisconsin and all, but even you should know this.

/end feeding troll/

Anyone who watched the Xavier / Cincinnati hoops game and the comments afterward would realize how bad / intense these rivalries can get.

Maybe not every Gopher player hates the Badgers, but they should or at least not say they like them. This is the longest rivalry in college football, it's a little one sided now, but if you don't see how huge it is as a player then you can go ahead and leave. You can be tact publicly (it's just another game, blah blah blah) but you better not feel that way on the field.

Even Tom Brady hates the Jets. Kobe hates the Celtics. If hatred of a rival doesn't motivate you to get up for that game, then maybe that's why the rival has owned you so long. you can't tell me the Badgers didn't love grabbing that axe and chopping down the goal posts or Iowa didn't love tearing down the Gophers goal posts.

Yeah, Ernie lost a lot of points with me over this.

I never have played college athletics. I do, however, know several current and former players on Wisconsin and on Minnesota, and the majority of them do not hate the other team. This is especially true of the Wisconsin players, who, in most case, simply view Minnesota as another Big Ten team.

What do you mean it could have been a number of other schools? His brother wants to be a Badger...it would be very random for him to start supporting Northwestern or something...

Despite mounting evidence to the contrary, I refuse to believe you're this stupid.

Don't overthink it, Charlie Brown. Interpretations by others were that Ernie's quote indicated he was turning his back on or "abandoning" the program/school for which he played. I happen to think that's wrong. I have no problem with a guy supporting his brother, and even perhaps that program, rival or not. You can do that and still fully support the school that provided you with a free education.

If you want Cliff's Notes next time, you'll have to let us all know ahead of time.

Badger2010 said:

That must be why the prior game nearly ended in a fight, because these two teams roast marshmallows and sing kumbaya by the camp fire every weekend?

Like the individuals off the field, whatever, but you ought to hate the team and if the second you step on the field / court / etc you don't instantly want to (but don't ever actually do it please) start throwing world peace elbows, you are lacking intensity.

The one thing that separated Michael Jordan from every NBA player, and maybe athlete, ever was that EVERY game he felt that way. He didn't want to just beat you, he wanted to dominate you. He hated you. If his team was up 30 at half, he wanted to beat you by 80 in the end. He didn't want to be the opponents friend, and he (pardon the phrase) went for the kill every single game.

If you can't feel that way for even a rivalry game, just quit playing.

It's a competition, save the rainbows and butterfly's and love for other things (granted, there are things bigger than sports that can change this) but the thought while playing football of all sports, should not be, Gosh, those Badgers are some swell fellas, I sure hope we all try hard and get some really sweet participation trophies!

If the Badgers truly don't "hate" the Gophers and don't bring any extra intensity to play us, I sure hope we do, because once the talent gap gets closer you will begin to see how more fire, more intensity, and more will can win games. Imagine if a Duke player said UNC was just another ACC opponent ... They'd be blasted for years.

dpodoll68 said:

I'm pretty sure its both, now. Nebraska vs. Kansas was longest consecutive until last year broke the streak.

I'm pretty sure its both, now. Nebraska vs. Kansas was longest consecutive until last year broke the streak.

Most times played, all divisions: Lafayette-Lehigh, 147 times
Most times played, Division I-A: Minnesota-Wisconsin, 121 times

Oldest, all divisions: Harvard-Yale, 1875
Oldest, Division I-A: Michigan-Notre Dame, 1887

Most consecutive times played, all divisions: Minnesota-Wisconsin, 121 times

And MarQuies Gray tweeted how he almost punched someone's lights out on campus because they were wearing a Wisconsin red sweatshirt (tongue in cheek comment, FYI). What's your point? I mean, besides being a troll?

Ernie was a terrific football player? He couldn't freakin catch his whole Jr. year.

Really, the whole junior year? Final 4 games of his jr year.....9 recepts, 262 yards, 29 yards per catch and 5 tds

Could you imagine this board if one of the rookie receivers matched EW's first year? 30, 654 and 7tds

Maximus said:
Really, the whole junior year? Final 4 games of his jr year.....9 recepts, 262 yards, 29 yards per catch and 5 tds

Could you imagine this board if one of the rookie receivers matched EW's first year? 30, 654 and 7tds

Fine - Most of his JR. year.

One should never burn bridges behind him/her.

Wisest thing said in this whole strange thread.

If an old Gopher doesn't really have the school spirt like most probably do, is it really a big deal? Some people just don't tick that way. I see no problem with that.

That said, why burn bridges? As my wife often says, "less is more". (ONLY as it pertains to flapping your gums.)

That must be why the prior game nearly ended in a fight, because these two teams roast marshmallows and sing kumbaya by the camp fire every weekend?

Like the individuals off the field, whatever, but you ought to hate the team and if the second you step on the field / court / etc you don't instantly want to (but don't ever actually do it please) start throwing world peace elbows, you are lacking intensity.

The one thing that separated Michael Jordan from every NBA player, and maybe athlete, ever was that EVERY game he felt that way. He didn't want to just beat you, he wanted to dominate you. He hated you. If his team was up 30 at half, he wanted to beat you by 80 in the end. He didn't want to be the opponents friend, and he (pardon the phrase) went for the kill every single game.

If you can't feel that way for even a rivalry game, just quit playing.

It's a competition, save the rainbows and butterfly's and love for other things (granted, there are things bigger than sports that can change this) but the thought while playing football of all sports, should not be, Gosh, those Badgers are some swell fellas, I sure hope we all try hard and get some really sweet participation trophies!

If the Badgers truly don't "hate" the Gophers and don't bring any extra intensity to play us, I sure hope we do, because once the talent gap gets closer you will begin to see how more fire, more intensity, and more will can win games. Imagine if a Duke player said UNC was just another ACC opponent ... They'd be blasted for years.

I agree with everything you just said. The key is on the field intensity; Ernie has been removed from the U of M for about 5 years now. I just think people are reading to much into the situation, that's my opinion, and others are welcome to theirs. Some people will feel that it is every player's duty, current and former, to unwaveringly support their program and to hate their rivals, and that's fine.

BTW, the Duke - UNC rivalry is a little more intense than our rivalry. Meetings between those two teams consistently decide who wins the ACC championship...not even getting into the recent lopsidedness of the UW-UM rivalry, the fact is that our meetings just aren't as relevant to the Big Ten title, and don't get nearly the attention that Duke-UNC does.

Top Bottom