Ernie Wheelwright turns traitor faster then he dropped TD passes....

You think every single person on this forum are lesser fans than you, don't you?

ha! too funny. love how i seem to get under your skin when i am not even trying to. and nope, don't see where i said or wrote that anywhere in my post. but thanks for playing bud.

go discuss this becky recruit on a becky board.....you freaking idiots.

I have been. Trust me though, I also enjoy talking about it here too, and I will not be leaving.

Love how I seem to get under your skin when I am not even trying to....:)

Not going to argue with you doll. He's a big time prospect and I'm happy he chose Wisconsin over offers from Michigan and Nebraska, along with several other high-major offers.

I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm flat-out telling you that he isn't, nor has he ever been, running those times. Period.

The latter part of your post has nothing to do with those made-up 40 times, but since you brought it up, an OH prospect without an OSU offer is by definition not a "big time" prospect. Sorry. He's a good prospect and I'd be glad to have him, but he's not a big time prospect.

The last ball thrown to Ernie bounced off his chest. It almost certainly cost us the game in Nashville.

Just saying.

I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm flat-out telling you that he isn't, nor has he ever been, running those times. Period.

The latter part of your post has nothing to do with those made-up 40 times, but since you brought it up, an OH prospect without an OSU offer is by definition not a "big time" prospect. Sorry. He's a good prospect and I'd be glad to have him, but he's not a big time prospect.

I never said he ran those times, I said I read that he had ran those times. Generally, I just assume that most self-reported times are completely FOS. I do believe, however, that he is significantly faster than his 5.17 ESPN reported 40 time. That's all I was trying to indicate.

I guess we differ on what constitutes a "big time prospect." There are several Ohio prospects, including multiple players with 5.9 ratings next to their name on their Rival's profile, without OSU offers, and I think they are, in some cases, big time prospects.

damit...guess its going to be a name change for me...or I will end up being a badger troll

He runs a 4.17 forty. It was a typo.
I know you're just being a troll, but come on now. You're saying that a high shcooler runs a faster 40 than everyone that atteneded the NFL combine this year. If you're gonna troll, at least be realistic.

I know you're just being a troll, but come on now. You're saying that a high shcooler runs a faster 40 than everyone that atteneded the NFL combine this year. If you're gonna troll, at least be realistic.

I think it's much more likely that he's joking instead of trolling...The best 40 time ever posted at the combine is 4.24. It's been done by two people, the first was Rondel Melendez in 1999 and and the second was Chris Johnson in 2008.

I would be more angry that the Gophers lost the brother of a former player to a hated rival than I would be at the former player for supporting his brother's new school. Wheelwrights writing style is very common (possibly even the norm) among Facebook users in his peer group (young athletes), and mocking it comes across as petty at best.

I would be more angry that the Gophers lost the brother of a former player to a hated rival than I would be at the former player for supporting his brother's new school. Wheelwrights writing style is very common (possibly even the norm) among Facebook users in his peer group (young athletes), and mocking it comes across as petty at best.
I'm not sure if you were referring to me, but I wasn't mocking him. I literally couldn't understand what he wrote. I don't spend a lot of time reading the facebook and twitter of athletes.

From his facebook:

No longer a gopher lil bro has be came a Wisconsin Badger today we out here baby he going look sweet in that red and white we breed'em in the wheelwright family more to come out the Wheelwright factory lol

Way to be a loyal Gopher Ernie.
What a joke. OSU could flip this newly loyal badger in about 3 seconds if they wanted.
Either way hopefully his brother will have stone hands like he did.

That said, I'll trade Nelson's Dad wearing maroon and gold as a former badger, with ernie wearing skunk in a popcorn box costumes for 4 years.

Way to be a loyal Gopher Ernie.
What a joke. OSU could flip this newly loyal badger in about 3 seconds if they wanted.
Either way hopefully his brother will have stone hands like he did.

That said, I'll trade Nelson's Dad wearing maroon and gold as a former badger, with ernie wearing skunk in a popcorn box costumes for 4 years.

+1000

I understand your point. But here's the thing: Ernie Wheelright is no longer a young athlete. He's now a former young athlete who appears to have marginal language skills at best. Admittedly, his status probably was intended to take a shot at the U and the Gopher program at a certain level, which is certainly his perogative. But many will simply blow it off as something a dumb former athlete wrote while trying to congratulate his younger bro.

I understand your point. But here's the thing: Ernie Wheelright is no longer a young athlete. He's now a former young athlete who appears to have marginal language skills at best. Admittedly, his status probably was intended to take a shot at the U and the Gopher program at a certain level, which is certainly his perogative. But many will simply blow it off as something a dumb former athlete wrote while trying to congratulate his younger bro.

can we just leave the grammar thing alone? it was a facebook post. whatever.

to me the concern is that you have a former gopher athlete with no strong connection to the program. this is one of the reasons that out-of-state programs have had success recruiting here (pre-kill at least) - there really isn't a strong sense of loyalty to the program and unless you start building that at the grass roots, it goes nowhere. as for the poster that said he had no connections to minnesota other than playing football here - that is the ultimate connection and a player should take that with him wherever he goes in life. that post is anathema to me - i cringed when reading it.

Gophs got to win the games to win the hearts. NW aside, these land grant schools are the same for your econ degree.
I treat all the BT applicants the same- when I ask "why are you looking for a job in the TC area?" the response is always similar - everythings is great there and the people are nice. I never follow up with 'why don't you stay in your inculcated little town that you matriculated in?

Considering he viewed the boards when he was a player and occasionally was roasted, I am not surprised...actually when it came to his being drafted, he responded to one of my posts about him. If I remember my post correctly, I mentioned he would probably be an UDFA or a low round pick. He felt he would be picked and had confidence in his talent. I think I told him he needed to be more consistent. Anyway, I appreciated his confidence and wish he had not sworn off the U the way he has. I know nothing about his brother, but I think he misses out on the fun of family competition.

damit...guess its going to be a name change for me...or I will end up being a badger troll

Heh. Ruh-roh! That's why it's never a bad idea to pick a semi-neutral username. ;)

EW can can go pound sand.

As far as I am concerned, all Gopher players, regardless of gender or sport, should have the attitude "Once a Gopher, always a Gopher".

Besides, if he has a stable of siblings is he going to flip flop like a bass our of water when the next one chooses a school other than WI?

See ya Ernie.

Gopherphile said:
can we just leave the grammar thing alone? it was a facebook post. whatever.

to me the concern is that you have a former gopher athlete with no strong connection to the program. this is one of the reasons that out-of-state programs have had success recruiting here (pre-kill at least) - there really isn't a strong sense of loyalty to the program and unless you start building that at the grass roots, it goes nowhere. as for the poster that said he had no connections to minnesota other than playing football here - that is the ultimate connection and a player should take that with him wherever he goes in life. that post is anathema to me - i cringed when reading it.

Good post. I'm surprised he could post that I he were still tight with his old teammates. That's why I would have expected the loyalty to show up.

Credit where it's due: Former teammate Jamal Harris, of several infamous plays, is the only one to call him out on it via facebook.

It's one thing to have divided loyalties, it's fine to support his brother at Wisconsin. But to turn your back on the team that you played for, don't be surprised that other people turn their backs on you.

One should never burn bridges behind him/her.

One should never burn bridges behind him/her.

As much as I would love to be able to point to a former Gopher talking bad about the program, I just do not see this as the case. I haven't read more about the situation besides the original tweet, but I think that some people are reading too much into the situation/Tweet. I think Ernie is still very grateful for the opportunity the Gophers gave him, and for four wonderful years of college he spent at the U of M. Keep in mind Ernie and his entire family were in Madison during the recruiting visit and that his brother had literally just committed. Ernie's tweet was how all of the Badger recruiting websites found out about his brother's commitment to UW by the way. I just think he was very excited and made a quick, and not a very well thought out, Tweet that was meant to convey his excitement for his brother's future. That being said, I do see why some Gopher fans are upset, but I just feel like there isn't much to read into the situation beyond him being happy for his brother and that he will be rooting for his brother (and therefore the Badgers) moving forward.

Top Bottom