Source tells Doogie that Tubby took the LSU job and then backed out

Great points. I can tell you Doogie does have very good sources. Will he name them? No. Then they wouldn't be sources. This is where it's a catch 22...personally, I hear a lot of great things from a lot of good sources, and I don't post or tweet about 90% of them, because you don't want to get crucified as the messenger. People always claim they want the scoop, but don't really want to hear the news, especially if it's not pro-Gopher.

What Doogie did was share a tidbit he heard. He didn't write an in depth article on it, or produce a news story on it. Don't shoot the messenger. I don't think many understand sharing some things you've heard (from good sources) vs. stories you fact check and write about. Another reason not to share any kind of insider info...

Well said.

What's anti-gopher about this news? I don't get the outrage. Tubby has an expiring contract and didn't know who his new boss was. He had interest from another school and decided to stay here.

What's odd is the timing of the news I guess. What is there to report? The LSU job is taken and Tubby is still here.

I admit I may not give Doogie all the respect he might deserve because I was turned off by the petty and thin-skinned responses he gave to anybody who disagreed with him on this board. However, I just can't remember seeing all the scoops some claim he has provided. I can't imagine anyone really close to the Gopher coaches giving hot scoops to people like Doogie and Reusse who are continually ripping those coaches.

No, not necessarily true. What a lot of people probably object to is crap being thrown up against the wall with, say, only about a 2% chance of any of it sticking in some cases.

You guys are in a hierarchy where you're trying to climb over a whole lot of other people in an attempt to get noticed and ultimately make a good living. People can use all sorts of ways to get to the top in sports "journalism": really insightful analysis, looks, humor, connections, sarcasm, obnoxious personality, actual writing or speaking talent, etc. Another way, especially if you're towards the bottom of the pile, is to try to scoop everyone else with news nobody else has. So little and big rumors are thrown out there and if you happen to hit on some of them, you move on up maybe to a regular gig at a station or paper.

I really don't have any problem with that, but let's please stop pretending that you're somehow more insightful or more noble with your shtick. It's the smugness and defensiveness that gets to a lot of people. Believe me, you're not being shot at because you're the noble messenger.

Doogie - Your a contributor on Gopherhole and always when called out you respond to the thread. Where a you now after dropping this one on Gopher Hoops fans bro....let's here from you! Is this a solid source Doogie?

I really don't have any problem with that, but let's please stop pretending that you're somehow more insightful or more noble with your shtick. It's the smugness and defensiveness that gets to a lot of people. Believe me, you're not being shot at because you're the noble messenger.

Well said.

What kind of "respect" does Doogie deserve?
Please name me any of his "scoops" that have come to fruition?
I can't forget the fact that it was only a few years ago that he was getting coffee and doughnuts for the KFAN talent.....
He was willing to do anything to get on the air back then, and IMO, he'll do anything to get his name in print now....including providing baseless "scoops"....

What Doogie did was share a tidbit he heard. He didn't write an in depth article on it, or produce a news story on it. Don't shoot the messenger. I don't think many understand sharing some things you've heard (from good sources) vs. stories you fact check and write about. Another reason not to share any kind of insider info...

Warning - going on a rant here. (for the record, I majored in communications in college, and studied journalism, including journalistic ethics) There's a big difference between "insider info" and "rumors."

If, as you say, this was not a "stories you fact check," then it is a rumor, pure and simple. Just because Joe Blow the Source says something does not make it true. The Source may be promoting an agenda, or putting out misinformation for some ulterior motive. If it hasn't been fact checked, if you can't confirm it through another source, then it is NOT a news story - it is an unconfirmed rumor.

I realize in today's media world of quicker-than-instant info, it's all about who tweets or blogs something first. Don't take the time to research, fact-check or confirm sources - just throw it out there and see if it sticks - or it stinks. Then, if it doesn't pan out, fall back on the lame defense of "I was just passing along something I heard," as if that absolves you of any journalistic requirements.

We are so lucky to have such great journalists, such as GopherWarrior and Gopherlady and somebody called Doogie to grace us with their presence. Their scoops (at least the ones that they feel that we can handle, 10% apparantly). We are so blessed to have people on the inside bound by the burden of filtering so much inside information and yet bringing us so many "scoops". I only wish that I could find somebody to provide me with some snide, sarcastic, "I'm too cool to care because I'm so important, look how snarky I can be" comments from some self righteous peons yearning for some sense of self-importance. Maybe someone to call Tubby dumb or Ralph soft?

balds: "...I only wish that I could find somebody to provide me with some snide, sarcastic, "I'm too cool to care because I'm so important, look how snarky I can be" comments from some self righteous peons yearning for some sense of self-importance."

You found me. :)

He had broadly accepted parameters of taking the UVa job in 2009 too. It depends on who's speaking and what their definition of 'took the job' is.

Unless he simply wants out of Minnesota, there's no reason for him to take the LSU job. It's not a better job, and I doubt they were waiving $2.5 million at him. If he just wanted out, he'd have taken it (or SC or SMU).

If an actual high ranking u of m employee told Sophie it was plausible that employee should never be allowed on campus again. Whether it was true or not.

Rosemountian said:
If an actual high ranking u of m employee told Sophie it was plausible that employee should never be allowed on campus again. Whether it was true or not.

And then people wonder why a reporter doesn't reveal their sources. The second they do that person potentially loses their job.

And then people wonder why a reporter doesn't reveal their sources. The second they do that person potentially loses their job.

Which exactly why Doogie won't and probably shouldn't reveal his inside guy.
It's up to the reader whether or not you believe Doogie.

Doogie has given me nothing to make me not believe him in the past. He's given me nothing to make me believe him either. No doubt in my mind something happened between tubby and LSU. I also don't know if I believe doogie's sources. Considering he is not the LSU coach, I'd say they were over-hyping any relationship that formed.

From reading Doogie's article it seems like he had a lead on a potentially big story, but that lead went nowhere. An official saying it is plausible that Tubby took the LSU job and the backed out is nowhere near confirmation of the lead. Someone mentioned Charley Walters in this thread and I think that is an apt comparison at this point. If Doogie wants to be Charley Walters, that's his decision to make. The problem with being Charley Walters is that when one of your leads turns out to be correct, you rarely get credit for it. When Walters had the name Norwood Teague first, it went largely unnoticed by Gopher fans.

Un-identified sources say doogees sources was a guy toking on a huka pipe in loring park who claimed to be a friend of gopher warriors 3rd cousin once removed who once met nadine babu at the concession stand at a gopher basketball game.

We are so lucky to have such great journalists, such as GopherWarrior and Gopherlady and somebody called Doogie to grace us with their presence. Their scoops (at least the ones that they feel that we can handle, 10% apparantly). We are so blessed to have people on the inside bound by the burden of filtering so much inside information and yet bringing us so many "scoops". I only wish that I could find somebody to provide me with some snide, sarcastic, "I'm too cool to care because I'm so important, look how snarky I can be" comments from some self righteous peons yearning for some sense of self-importance. Maybe someone to call Tubby dumb or Ralph soft?

Amen!

tip is "PLAUSIBLE" does not say it did or did not happen...it says it is conceivable it could have happened...nothing more or less.

Interesting - I was waiting for this story to take off and nothing happened. Guess all the "reporters" in town checked it out and found it to be CRAP.

Interesting - I was waiting for this story to take off and nothing happened. Guess all the "reporters" in town checked it out and found it to be CRAP.

Parski, that would be a first.

Parski, that would be a first.

That would never happen in Fargo. Those clowns are too busy tripping over each other trying to cheerlead for the local teams that they can't be bothered with, what did you call it, "reporting."

Doogie with a follow up tid-bit:

"A follow-up from last week's note about Tubby Smith coming extremely close to accepting the LSU job, and possibly even giving an indication of yes, then backing out: "LSU definitely wanted him," Maturi said."

http://kstp.com/article/stories/s2606217.shtml

Go Gophers!!

We know they wanted him. We know Tubby talked to them. But that doesn't mean Tubby took the job and then backed out. Notice instead of taking the job and then backing it out, it is now possibly giving an indication.

BacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrack

From the Barn said:
We know they wanted him. We know Tubby talked to them. But that doesn't mean Tubby took the job and then backed out. Notice instead of taking the job and then backing it out, it is now possibly giving an indication.

BacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrackBacktrack

Doogie never said he took the job, he reported it was plausible as told by someone at the U.

I think you are parsing. Doogie clearly had something on this one.

you are right doog obviously had zilch. LSU wanted Tubby, Tubby listened end of story. Doog extrapolates upon the known in hopes of being the blind squirrel who finds the nut. Doog did not find a nut.

Top Bottom