Quote Originally Posted by station19 View Post
    Doogie's comment may or may not be factual
    That's why he has no credibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gopher Warrior View Post
    'Uh oh'
    It consistently amazes me how... ugh. I'll bite my tongue
    The U may seek what is effectively a waiver of the Five-Year Rule waiver in Mbakwe's case. The Five-Year Rule is from a different section of the NCAA Bylaws than the hardship waiver rules and includes requirements which Mbakwe does not meet

Quote Originally Posted by station19 View Post

Doogie's comment may or may not be factual...

As a result, I may or may not believe him.
    I think I'm losing my mind, but as long as I don't lose the part that tells me when I haffta pee, I'll be all right..

When I hear someone "took a job" I assume that means actually agreeing to terms and a public announcement(which obviously didn't happen). We have no idea what conversations took place between Tubby and LSU. Not saying Doogie is lying here, but the vague language he chooses to use sure has a lot of holes in it. If it were really a newsworthy story we would have heard about from someone other than Doogie (no offense, sir). It's not like the Notre Dame football thing a few years back (can't remember the guys name...used to be an assistant on the Vikings).

It's plausible that it was similar to the Monson courtship with Washington. That would explain the sources from Louisiana who, at the time, considered it an 80% chance of happening.

5. Default

Maybe Smith accepted the job kind of like how he offered a job to Jimmy Williams.

Could it be I will tentatively take the job dependant on talking it over with my family first type of thing.

7. Default

I don't give anything Doogie says a lot of credibibily, but Doogie has a lot more credibility than gopherWARRIOR. The only reason gW seems to keep posting on this board is to make snarky comments about the Gophers.

Maybe Smith accepted the job kind of like how he offered a job to Jimmy Williams.
    Ba dum tsss!

Doogie's next headline: Tubby accepted the VT job (for 3hours).

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Don View Post
    As a result, I may or may not believe him.
    You may or may not be telling the truth.

You have to remember Doogie has a Thursday bit called Scoops with Doogie on Channel 5 and kstp radio. That means he has to come up with something compelling/interesting/scandalous/insider-ish every single week even if he has no idea if it's true or not. I think they teach that technique the first day of journalism school.

Quote Originally Posted by NateDawgUM View Post
    "Anybody who I can publicly name denies it, but many people whose names I will not reveal say it happened."
    I believe this to be a very accurate summary of the alleged "scoop".
    "Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear, and when I do, it's usually something unusual." - John Winger

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
    Hmm. A far more likely scenario is that Tubby said something that made them THINK he was taking the job for 3 hours and then it was clarified. Tubby's communication skills are sometimes less than clear.
    +201

LOL

13. Thumbs down

Is this the same "source" that told Doogie that Kaler was going to hire "his man" Jim Fiore for AD? Doogie's a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseheadgophfan View Post
    Is this the same "source" that told Doogie that Kaler was going to hire "his man" Jim Fiore for AD? Doogie's a joke.
    The University is moving closer to hiring a new athletics director. One person in the know said earlier this week that he believes more than ever that school president Dr. Eric Kaler will hire his guy. So, we can pretend that the 21-person committee and the four person sub-committee are difference-makers, but they're not. Kaler will hire who he is most comfortable with. That very well could be current Stony Brook AD Jim Fiore.
    This beating up Doogie business is getting old. Some rube throws out the fresh meat and the flys and vultures go to town. Cheesehead doesn't even have his own facts straight but he's ready to nab Doogie. His niche is digging up rumors via sources (who are sometimes correct) much like Peter Vescey and Sam Smith nationally and Shooter and Sid locally.
    Last edited by goldengophers; 04-27-2012 at 10:54 AM.

I have no idea if this story is true, but I do know for a fact that Buzz Williams was offered the LSU job but turned them down (obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseheadgophfan View Post
    Um, he didn't say a source told him that. He said his source said that Kaler had a person in mind and that the committee wouldn't make the final call, Kaler would. Based on that Doogie offered his opinion that the thought Fiore was the likely candidate in that situation. There is plenty to critique with this LSU rumor and other Doogie reports. The "Fiore source" is not one of them.

It's called tabloid journalism. It's the nature of media today.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhammer View Post

You hit it right on the nuts. On the other hand, Kim Kardashian has warts.
    I think I'm losing my mind, but as long as I don't lose the part that tells me when I haffta pee, I'll be all right..

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhammer View Post
    Is there a difference these days? It seems that ALL journalism has resorted to tabloid journalism. Anyone who watched the Mike Wallace special on "60 Minutes" can (sadly) see how far journalism and reporting has fallen.

It seems that everyone writer, t.v. reporter, radio personality is forced (or decides) to become "multimedia". A writer has to be on t.v. or radio - a radio guy has to write a blog. They all think they will become irrelevant if they don't constantly blather on twitter.

I could go on, but will spare you.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedave23 View Post
    I don't think I've ever read anything on gopher hole more spot on than these sentences. Ever.

Not a defender of him but no where in his comment did Doogie state this claim as fact. He just pointed out what he heard and was trying to check it out.