Source tells Doogie that Tubby took the LSU job and then backed out

Hmm. A far more likely scenario is that Tubby said something that made them THINK he was taking the job for 3 hours and then it was clarified. Tubby's communication skills are sometimes less than clear.

+201

LOL :D

Is this the same "source" that told Doogie that Kaler was going to hire "his man" Jim Fiore for AD? Doogie's a joke.

Is this the same "source" that told Doogie that Kaler was going to hire "his man" Jim Fiore for AD? Doogie's a joke.
The University is moving closer to hiring a new athletics director. One person in the know said earlier this week that he believes more than ever that school president Dr. Eric Kaler will hire his guy. So, we can pretend that the 21-person committee and the four person sub-committee are difference-makers, but they're not. Kaler will hire who he is most comfortable with. That very well could be current Stony Brook AD Jim Fiore.

This beating up Doogie business is getting old. Some rube throws out the fresh meat and the flys and vultures go to town. Cheesehead doesn't even have his own facts straight but he's ready to nab Doogie. His niche is digging up rumors via sources (who are sometimes correct) much like Peter Vescey and Sam Smith nationally and Shooter and Sid locally.

I have no idea if this story is true, but I do know for a fact that Buzz Williams was offered the LSU job but turned them down (obviously).

Um, he didn't say a source told him that. He said his source said that Kaler had a person in mind and that the committee wouldn't make the final call, Kaler would. Based on that Doogie offered his opinion that the thought Fiore was the likely candidate in that situation. There is plenty to critique with this LSU rumor and other Doogie reports. The "Fiore source" is not one of them.

It's called tabloid journalism. It's the nature of media today.

It's called tabloid journalism. It's the nature of media today.

Is there a difference these days? It seems that ALL journalism has resorted to tabloid journalism. Anyone who watched the Mike Wallace special on "60 Minutes" can (sadly) see how far journalism and reporting has fallen.

It seems that everyone writer, t.v. reporter, radio personality is forced (or decides) to become "multimedia". A writer has to be on t.v. or radio - a radio guy has to write a blog. They all think they will become irrelevant if they don't constantly blather on twitter.

I could go on, but will spare you.

Not a defender of him but no where in his comment did Doogie state this claim as fact. He just pointed out what he heard and was trying to check it out.

This is just a bit too histrionic. Consumption of media and reporting has always been a buyer-beware proposition, and it always will be, so please get used to it. I remember after Reagan was shot, the well-respected Daniel Schorr was reporting, based on reliable information, that James Brady had died of his wounds. Of course that turned out to be a false report based on unreliable information. Nothing new under the sun here.

I for one appreciate the opportunity to be reported to and take it for what it's worth.

This is just a bit too histrionic. Consumption of media and reporting has always been a buyer-beware proposition, and it always will be, so please get used to it. I remember after Reagan was shot, the well-respected Daniel Schorr was reporting, based on reliable information, that James Brady had died of his wounds. Of course that turned out to be a false report based on unreliable information. Nothing new under the sun here.

I for one appreciate the opportunity to be reported to and take it for what it's worth.

Word of the day tp?

The Doogster would normally be on here by now saying he is "just reporting what he heard". That he is mute indicates that this is just more Doogie Dirt no basis in fact other than rumor. JMO

Not a defender of him but no where in his comment did Doogie state this claim as fact. He just pointed out what he heard and was trying to check it out.

By the way I heard that Doogie accepted a job with ESPN as a sideline reporter replacing Erin Andrews. I am not reporting that as fact but I will be trying to check it out.

By the way I heard that Doogie accepted a job with ESPN as a sideline reporter replacing Erin Andrews. I am not reporting that as fact but I will be trying to check it out.

The big difference between the point you are trying to make and what Doggie "reported" is yours is utterly ridiculous where Tubby taking the LSU job and backing out is at least plausible.

The big difference between the point you are trying to make and what Doggie "reported" is yours is utterly ridiculous where Tubby taking the LSU job and backing out is at least plausible.

So.....the story being "plausible" is now the standard that journalists have to live up to? WOW.

So.....the story being "plausible" is now the standard that journalists have to live up to? WOW.

How do you know it isn't true either, you don't. However, your real issue is that you don't want Doogie to possibly be right on this. I would venture that had Doogie stated that a source told him that Shaka Smart would take the Gopher job in a second, you would not be criticizing him or his journalism. Why because that message whether it was true or not would make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. If you were truthful you would admit that your bigger issue is with not liking the content of the statement.

This is no different than Shooter's "a little birdy.." bits. GHolers are just pi$$ed that someone may have made up something about Tubby agreeing to take the LSU job and Doggie but it out there. How dare he act in such an irresponsible manner!

How do you know it isn't true either, you don't. However, your real issue is that you don't want Doogie to possibly be right on this. I would venture that had Doogie stated that a source told him that Shaka Smart would take the Gopher job in a second, you would not be criticizing him or his journalism. Why because that message whether it was true or not would make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. If you were truthful you would admit that your bigger issue is with not liking the content of the statement.

GopherGod you have pegged it. This is exactly the issue.

I would venture that had Doogie stated that a source told him that Shaka Smart would take the Gopher job in a second, you would not be criticizing him or his journalism.

Yes we would because it would be complete bs.

This is no different than Shooter's "a little birdy.." bits. GHolers are just pi$$ed that someone may have made up something about Tubby agreeing to take the LSU job and Doggie but it out there. How dare he act in such an irresponsible manner!

Unbelievable....now "Shooter" is the bastion of journalistic integrity...

cheeseheadgophfan said:
Unbelievable....now "Shooter" is the bastion of journalistic integrity...

It is interesting that you of all people in this thread talk about integrity. Considering that you accused Doogie of saying something he didn't, you might want to show some integrity and just admit you were wrong and move on.

Great points. I can tell you Doogie does have very good sources. Will he name them? No. Then they wouldn't be sources. This is where it's a catch 22...personally, I hear a lot of great things from a lot of good sources, and I don't post or tweet about 90% of them, because you don't want to get crucified as the messenger. People always claim they want the scoop, but don't really want to hear the news, especially if it's not pro-Gopher.

What Doogie did was share a tidbit he heard. He didn't write an in depth article on it, or produce a news story on it. Don't shoot the messenger. I don't think many understand sharing some things you've heard (from good sources) vs. stories you fact check and write about. Another reason not to share any kind of insider info...

so called journalists put out garbage and then hide behind "secret sources" Its not like a basketball info source needs to be protected like a organized crime source(unless they are lying through their teeth.) How many people would know if Tubby took LSU job but wanted it to be kept secret. ? Not enough for only doofee to find out! We are smart to understand the difference between trash and truth.

Hmm. A far more likely scenario is that Tubby said something that made them THINK he was taking the job for 3 hours and then it was clarified. Tubby's communication skills are sometimes less than clear.

+1

Great points. I can tell you Doogie does have very good sources. Will he name them? No. Then they wouldn't be sources. This is where it's a catch 22...personally, I hear a lot of great things from a lot of good sources, and I don't post or tweet about 90% of them, because you don't want to get crucified as the messenger. People always claim they want the scoop, but don't really want to hear the news, especially if it's not pro-Gopher.

What Doogie did was share a tidbit he heard. He didn't write an in depth article on it, or produce a news story on it. Don't shoot the messenger. I don't think many understand sharing some things you've heard (from good sources) vs. stories you fact check and write about. Another reason not to share any kind of insider info...

I have no idea if this story is accurate but Doogie is generally the best in town at digging up information. If he puts something out there I generally pay attention to it. Circumstantially, there are at least four reasons for Tubby to be looking around: 1) No contract extension; 2) No practice facility; 3) Increasing criticism; and 4) He doesn't know his new boss.

Top Bottom