Eric Musselman NBA D-League Coach of the Year

scher215

Reaction score
“@LakersReporter: Very well deserved. RT @DFenders: D-Fenders Coach Eric Musselman is the 2012 @nbadleague Coach of the Year. http://t.co/hmpXmVBL”

“@DFenders: BREAKING: D-Fenders Head Coach Eric Musselman has been named the 2012 @nbadleague Coach of the Year. http://t.co/gCH6MSHi”

I was awake last nigh wondering what happened to Eric.
Is he coaching anywhere right now?

He seems like he should get a college gig sometime.

Musselman is currently an assistant at LSU. Crazy (to me) to think he's actually 50 years old now. Looking at his wikipedia page, he was the youngest coach in the CBA at 23(!). Take this with a grain of salt, but someone reported that Musselman was scheduled to interview with the Gophers, but they settled on Pitino before he got the opportunity.

Really interesting profile and I assume he'll get a shot someplace soon as LSU has been recruiting really well. Former NBA head coach who also was an assistant under both Chuck Daly and Lon Krueger in the NBA. If I had to guess his second stint as a head coach in the NBA with the Sacramento Kings is probably what his kept him from getting a college job. He lasted just one year and had a DUI during the season.

We don't want EM anywhere near the program. He's wound way too tight. Around 1990, when EM was an assistant coach w/ the wolves, I was at the old Arena Club downtown cooling off after a racquetball game and watching a pickup game in which EM was playing. One of the other players called a foul on EM and he completely lost it. I mean lost it. He threw the ball at the guy, then started screaming at him, then went after him. Three other guys had to hold him back. I've never forgotten it. I don't care how much he knows about hoops. Even if he has mellowed with age, he doesn't have nearly enough self control to be near this program.

I was the one who reported he was next line for the interview with Norwood. He actually had a flight booked out of Phoenix when Pitino was hired. Eric is good friends with some people we know in Anthem, Arizona, which is North of Scottsdale. We owned a vacation home in Anthem several years ago. I was hoping Norwood would interview him and he was actually my favorite candidate. Yes he is intense, but he has never had a problem with players and like his dad the guy can coach. Hell, who doesn't blow off a little steam if you're competitive. I played in pickup games at the old Northwest
Racquet Club in Fridley and these games were a war. Many of the players were ex-college players
and to hold court you had to keep winning, or another team took your place. A game was 11 baskets.
There were times when guys had to be separated. If you've ever played competitive basketball with no officials you would know what I mean.

I was the one who reported he was next line for the interview with Norwood. He actually had a flight booked out of Phoenix when Pitino was hired. Eric is good friends with some people we know in Anthem, Arizona, which is North of Scottsdale. We owned a vacation home in Anthem several years ago. I was hoping Norwood would interview him and he was actually my favorite candidate. Yes he is intense, but he has never had a problem with players and like his dad the guy can coach. Hell, who doesn't blow off a little steam if you're competitive. I played in pickup games at the old Northwest Racquet Club in Fridley and these games were a war. Many of the players were ex-college players and to hold court you had to keep winning, or another team took your place. A game was 11 baskets. There were times when guys had to be separated. If you've ever played competitive basketball with no officials you would know what I mean.

I have played lots of pickup games. This was different. Trust me.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom