All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Berkeley is a talented player, but he is going to struggle beating either of those guys out as 20 carry TB. I think his best shot is to eventually replace KJ on all of the non-wide receiver stuff he does, or else Limegrover has to invent some new stuff for him to do..

Berkeley is a talented player, but he is going to struggle beating either of those guys out as 20 carry TB. I think his best shot is to eventually replace KJ on all of the non-wide receiver stuff he does, or else Limegrover has to invent some new stuff for him to do..

Nonsense.

Jeff won't have a hard time beating out anyone if he's eligible.

I am excited about Jeff Jones' prospects here, but we seem to be wiling to assume a lot about his ability to compete at the collegiate level despite never having seen him get a single carry at this level.

I am excited about Jeff Jones' prospects here, but we seem to be wiling to assume a lot about his ability to compete at the collegiate level despite never having seen him get a single carry at this level.

Valid point, but saying Rodney Smith is the front runner is a stretch as well. Jeff probably has the upper hand as he's a highly touted recruit and will be given every chance to succeed early.

Valid point, but saying Rodney Smith is the front runner is a stretch as well. Jeff probably has the upper hand as he's a highly touted recruit and will be given every chance to succeed early.
Williams will have a say in this.

When u watch Jones on film, he's unlike any RB on our roster. Cobb is a great RB, but is more of a north/south, downhill runner, who is adept at being patient in following his blocks. Kirkwood, Williams are also downhill guys. Honestly, I see Edwards ending up in a more "KJ Mate" type role down the road. But, Jeff Jones shows on film, he is a quick, shifty back. One whom is of a more "make you miss" type back. Kind of reminds me of amir abdullah. Elusive, yet powerful, with great speed for his size... And has just met Mr. Eric Klein... I'm excited to see him in maroon & gold.

Rodney Smith practices every day with the team.

His inability to find the field this season has me skeptical.

The team runs the fewest plays of nearly any team in the country. It has more to do with flow of the game and Cobb than his ability. We're 114 out of 128 in plays per game. We use a fullback and 2-3 TE's with one back.

Good for him? He must be a future starter since Shortell, Nelson, Streveler, and Perra all looked great in practice too.

Funny three of those players have all Started!

Funny three of those players have all Started!

Alrighty then!

Another brick has been layed! Our running back to follow Cobb will be as good as Max Shortell! All aboard that Rose Bowl train! Choo choo!

Alrighty then!

Another brick has been layed! Our running back to follow Cobb will be as good as Max Shortell! All aboard that Rose Bowl train! Choo choo!

I don't follow. You're claiming that a player that played MPLS. City ball and sat for well over a year is going to come in and beat out players who have been in the program for 3, 2, and 1 years.

Furry, I learned a long time ago that when a guy makes straw man arguments like yours it's because he knows he's lost the argument.

I don't follow. You're claiming that a player that played MPLS. City ball and sat for well over a year is going to come in and beat out players who have been in the program for 3, 2, and 1 years.

I'm saying a consensus 4* redshirt freshmen and the highest ranked Gopher recruit in history is going to get a better opportunity to succeed than a 2* redshirt freshmen and 2 guys that can't see the field behind an overworked RB. Yes, that means I think he will get plenty of carries right away to prove himself. He won't have to wait like the other three guys had to.

Quite an out of the box declaration isn't it?

Where he played ball is irrelevant. Sitting out a year is worth mentioning but need I remind Jeff was the MVP of the Under Armour game, after arriving late to the practices, where he was the talk of said practices. Jeff has shown some ability against elite company and clearly has the most upside of any back on the roster, so it's not a stretch to project him as the starter next season. Runningback is one of the easiest transitions at any level, Jeff will be in spring training and he'll basically be on par with a JUCO player in terms of acclimation into the program. I'm not saying he will be the starter but it's certainly plausible.

I'm saying a consensus 4* redshirt freshmen and the highest ranked Gopher recruit in history is going to get a better opportunity to succeed than a 2* redshirt freshmen and 2 guys that can't see the field behind an overworked RB. Yes, that means I think he will get plenty of carries right away to prove himself. He won't have to wait like the other three guys had to.

Quite an out of the box declaration isn't it?

I have no doubts, if eligible, he will play. I guess we're splitting hairs.

Has he ever been asked to block someone?

per Sid:

Jones to be eligible

Good news for the Gophers football program: Giovan Jenkins, who coached outstanding running back Jeff Jones at Minneapolis Washburn, reports that Jones has done good academic work in his first semester at the university and will become eligible to take part in spring practice.

“Jones is a different type of running back than David Cobb, but he will give the Gophers the same type of yardage that Cobb has given the Gophers,” Jenkins said.

Jones, who Rivals.com rated as a four-star recruit and the seventh-best running back in the nation last season, had 1,525 yards and 34 rushing touchdowns (42 overall) in his senior season at Washburn.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/283286741.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Jones to be eligible

Good news for the Gophers football program: Giovan Jenkins, who coached outstanding running back Jeff Jones at Minneapolis Washburn, reports that Jones has done good academic work in his first semester at the university and will become eligible to take part in spring practice.

“Jones is a different type of running back than David Cobb, but he will give the Gophers the same type of yardage that Cobb has given the Gophers,” Jenkins said.

Jones, who Rivals.com rated as a four-star recruit and the seventh-best running back in the nation last season, had 1,525 yards and 34 rushing touchdowns (42 overall) in his senior season at Washburn.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/283286741.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Lots of excitement around this kid!! Do work Mr. Jones!!!

When you only have one four star recruit it would make sense he least gets an opportunity on the field to fail if you hope to someday add other four star people. I'll be shocked if he doesn't play. The loyalty he showed, the effort academically to get on the field and he's gonna sit? I believe Jerry will play Mr Jones. Berkley was ignored by teams because of his perceived ability beyond his speed. Jones was coveted by schools for his football ability but scared some off by his academic issues. He's here. He's talented. All things equal...eligible, practice hard, be coachable etc...he'll play.

When you only have one four star recruit it would make sense he least gets an opportunity on the field to fail if you hope to someday add other four star people. I'll be shocked if he doesn't play. The loyalty he showed, the effort academically to get on the field and he's gonna sit? I believe Jerry will play Mr Jones. Berkley was ignored by teams because of his perceived ability beyond his speed. Jones was coveted by schools for his football ability but scared some off by his academic issues. He's here. He's talented. All things equal...eligible, practice hard, be coachable etc...he'll play.

We need to start using Berkley on those jet sweeps that we use Maye with

We need to start using Berkley on those jet sweeps that we use Maye with
Only works if teams have fear of him doing anything else. Berkeley as a WR doesn't scare anyone so they'll be defending the sweep and screen from the jump. No element of surprise st this stage in his career

Only works if teams have fear of him doing anything else. Berkeley as a WR doesn't scare anyone so they'll be defending the sweep and screen from the jump. No element of surprise st this stage in his career

Agree, I just want us to get him the ball since he can be very dynamic

Agree, I just want us to get him the ball since he can be very dynamic

Doesn't work through contact well at all though. I personally like backs that can take a hit and give one out. Physical RBs tend to fare better than the little speedy guys. I personally think Jones, and even Rodney Smith will sustain alot more success in their Gopher careers.

KJ is a receiving threat -- Berkley has no hands and can't catch so the D knows it also.

Top Bottom