All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

But "earning" a fourth year of competition (in his fifth year of college) only requires him to have made 80% progress towards his degree through four years.

Also, by "lots of work to do" you mean averaging a B- in entry level college courses with the help of tutors. I am confident in the young man.

Getting 80% toward your degree in four years isn't a very high bar at all, so it is misleading to say he will only have three years of eligibility. It's only 20% per year, while those who graduate in four years do 25% per year. It provides an incentive to schools to make sure players get their education, but I think that even without this negative incentive, Kill wouldn't let his academics slide.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Getting 80% toward your degree in four years isn't a very high bar at all, so it is misleading to say he will only have three years of eligibility.

Sure, if by "misleading" you miss accurate.

Meeting the minimum initially eligibility requirements isn't a very high bar.

He was on the sideline for SJSU, J. Jones, #16, white jersey.

Interesting. He was on the sidelines but wore just street clothes for the MTSU game so progress perhaps?

Also he has always been #16 ever since the other freshman got their numbers.

Now I'm getting excited. Hopefully we can move from the Cobb to Jones eras without missing a beat next year.

I'm pretty sure I've seen him in street clothes at every home game so far.

If he can get his grades in order this year he'll be playing if not he won't, it's as simple as that.

Do ya really think a kid who has not participated in one college football practice has any chance to play in a game this year? Torch his redshirt? Really?

Jones will start fresh next Spring. There is absolutely no way he sees the field in 2014 except in street clothes and a jersey.

Do ya really think a kid who has not participated in one college football practice has any chance to play in a game this year? Torch his redshirt? Really?

Jones will start fresh next Spring. There is absolutely no way he sees the field in 2014 except in street clothes and a jersey.

Who said anything about him playing this year?

until fall camp was over and he wasn't on the team and Melvin Holland got #21

Not true. From the time numbers were made public (well before fall camp was over), Jones has always been 16 and Holland has always been 21. If there was ever a point that Jones was also 21 (doubtful, since both are on offense) it was well before fall camp was over.

The # of the player is so frikking important, ya know.

What weight do people think Jones will run at? Does he have the frame to bulk up a bit from 200?

What weight do people think Jones will run at? Does he have the frame to bulk up a bit from 200?

I personally believe 215 would be ideal but no more than that. Also read a scouting report somewhere that stated 215 should be his target weight. Can't be be a featured back in this O at his current weight but of course he is still in his first semester of college.

Not true. From the time numbers were made public (well before fall camp was over), Jones has always been 16 and Holland has always been 21. If there was ever a point that Jones was also 21 (doubtful, since both are on offense) it was well before fall camp was over.

March 20th Roster Jeff Jones (#NA)
July 5th Roster Jeff Jones (#16)

(Powered by extreme boredom)

All this talk about Jones is fine - I hope he is an all american - but first he will have to beat out Rodney Smith. Smith was a very, very late signing out of Georgia (I think) who has looked very, very good in practice.

All this talk about Jones is fine - I hope he is an all american - but first he will have to beat out Rodney Smith. Smith was a very, very late signing out of Georgia (I think) who has looked very, very good in practice.
I've only seen highlights of Smith but with what I've seen from Jones I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him getting the majority of the carries next season.

Meanwhile back at the NCAA Clearinghouse......................................................

per Sid:

• Jeff Jones, the highly ranked Gophers running back from Minneapolis Washburn who is in school and doing well academically, should be able to take part in spring practice.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/279370342.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

I was just gonna ask what the latest is on Jones as I haven't been following his progess since it was announced that he wasn't able to play this season. Last thing I heard was it sounded like he was gonna go juco route. What happened to that? just curious. Thanks for the update Bleed!

I was just gonna ask what the latest is on Jones as I haven't been following his progess since it was announced that he wasn't able to play this season. Last thing I heard was it sounded like he was gonna go juco route. What happened to that? just curious. Thanks for the update Bleed!

Got into the U. Taking classes. Not NCAA eligible till he gets his fall semester grades.

Anybody know what his eligibility would be next fall if he's able to play? As in, would he be a Redshirt Freshman or just a Freshman?

Basically, he wasn't cleared by the NCAA, but was admitted by the U. He'll be studying up and will most likely join the team in the spring.

Anybody know what his eligibility would be next fall if he's able to play? As in, would he be a Redshirt Freshman or just a Freshman?

Redshirt Freshmen. By enrolling at a University, his eligibility clock starts now.

I thought you had to be part of the team for your eligibility clock to start

Top Bottom