All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

It isn't time to move on yet, but it isn't good. I, like Madtown, doubted and continue to doubt that he will get in.

Ohhhhh, good for yoooooooou. I, like many others, hope you are wrong and do not get to brag about it.

If he does have to go to Juco could he possibly redshirt for a year to save a year after juco so he would have 3? Isn't that what De'Vondre Cambpell did? If he does have to go there i'm more worried us only having him for 2 years instead of 4. Not re recruiting him.

Could he redshirt at juco and have four years of eligibility including one redshirt year, at the 'U' similar to Jordan Hinojosa? If he doesn't qualify this year, then this is the most ideal scenario.

If he does have to go to Juco could he possibly redshirt for a year to save a year after juco so he would have 3? Isn't that what De'Vondre Cambpell did? If he does have to go there i'm more worried us only having him for 2 years instead of 4. Not re recruiting him.

Could he redshirt at juco and have four years of eligibility including one redshirt year, at the 'U' similar to Jordan Hinojosa? If he doesn't qualify this year, then this is the most ideal scenario.

No. DC and JH were qualifiers. If JJ does not qualify out of HS he will have to finish out JuCo. 2-years of eligibility when he comes.

I'm trying to remain optimistic, but this interview really seems to be preparing folks IMO.

Not sure what you mean. There is no transfer sitting out requirement from a juco. As soon as you start college football you have five years to play four. So he could juco and not play (academics only) and then start next year with five years to play four, or he could juco and play and then start next year with four years to play three.

Perhaps you are thinking two years at juco, one a redshirt year, so that he'd arrive on campus with three years to play three?

Not sure what you mean. There is no transfer sitting out requirement from a juco. As soon as you start college football you have five years to play four. So he could juco and not play (academics only) and then start next year with five years to play four, or he could juco and play and then start next year with four years to play three.

Perhaps you are thinking two years at juco, one a redshirt year, so that he'd arrive on campus with three years to play three?
Yes, that is what i meant.

Can't do that. Non-qualifiers out of HS must finish JuCo. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that is how I understand it.

The last paragraph is what would (hopefully) happen if he went the Juco route. I believe, although I'm not 100% certain, that if you don't qualify out of hs, you need to spend two years at juco getting grades. You can't just transfer into a scholarship after one year.

1. Would it be better or worse for the Badgers if he didn't qualify?
2. Would you prefer that he did or did not qualify?

Thanks.

No. DC and JH were qualifiers. If JJ does not qualify out of HS he will have to finish out JuCo. 2-years of eligibility when he comes.

I'm trying to remain optimistic, but this interview really seems to be preparing folks IMO.

DC still spent 2 years at JuCo. Why would him qualifying or not out of HS be a factor in how many years of eligibility he had after JuCo? Cody Poock was a qualifyer and he only spent one year there which is why he can still play more than 2 years but DC already spent 2 years at Juco.

Why would him qualifying or not out of HS be a factor in how many years of eligibility he had after JuCo?

Well, because qualifying matters. It dictates how many Years he must go to JuCo before transferring.

Well, because qualifying matters. It dictates how many Years he must go to JuCo before transferring.

Yes, i understand that. He will have to go 2 years if he goes to JuCo. I am asking about if whether he plays or not while at JuCo will determine how many years of eligibity he will have after that. If he only attends JuCo and doesn't actually play then would he have 5 years to play 4 here? If he redshirts in his first year JuCo but plays the second year which to my understanding is what DC did then he will have 3 to play 3? That is what i am asking about.

Yes, i understand that. He will have to go 2 years if he goes to JuCo. I am asking about if whether he plays or not while at JuCo will determine how many years of eligibity he will have after that. If he only attends JuCo and doesn't actually play then would he have 5 years to play 4 here? If he redshirts in his first year JuCo but plays the second year which to my understanding is what DC did then he will have 3 to play 3? That is what i am asking about.

Oh. Never heard of an elite player going to JuCo, but not playing. Good question.

I am optimistic Jeff can pass if Jeff wants to. The ACT can be "learned" to some extent with practice.

The NCAA sliding scale can be seen here: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Quick_Reference_Sheet.pdf

Each of the four ACT sections is worth 1-36 points. For example, assuming he can score 18 or more in each section that would require only a 2.375 core GPA. We know that GPA is bad, but even a mediocre score on the ACT should get him qualified. If Jeff jones was just a little lazy he should be able to pass. If he truly doesn't have the cognitive skills then he won't.

His back is against the wall, sometimes that's the motivation needed.

Even if he doesn't play his clock would start right away. He could redshirt a year and then have 3 to play 3, a la Isaac Fruechte. That's the best case scenario for maximizing Div. I eligibility for non qualifiers.

All of you are forgetting the 1 yr prep school option. The only real information I've heard is that at one time he needed 1 point on his ACT and .2 on his GPA. Apparently he got the point he needed on the ACT, so how many more points does he need, to lower the required GPA by .2.

All of you are forgetting the 1 yr prep school option. The only real information I've heard is that at one time he needed 1 point on his ACT and .2 on his GPA. Apparently he got the point he needed on the ACT, so how many more points does he need, to lower the required GPA by .2.

5-7 points depending on where your GPA is. If his GPA is at the barely acceptable range (2.0-2.3) he'll need to increase his composite ACT by 7 to equal the effect of increasing GPA by 0.2

5-7 points depending on where your GPA is. If his GPA is at the barely acceptable range (2.0-2.3) he'll need to increase his composite ACT by 7 to equal the effect of increasing GPA by 0.2

No way he is increasing it by 7 the next time he takes it. Are you sure that is accurate?

Edit: Oh, he would need to increase the sum by 7. Not the composite. That is definitely doable. Maybe even expected.

No way he is increasing it by 7 the next time he takes it. Are you sure that is accurate?

That's sum total of 7, not composite. So like if he's sitting at 72 (Avg. 18 each), then he'd need to bump that to 79 (Avg. 19.75). If that's the case, it's not easy, but it is doable, definitely.

with all the RB offers going out from the coaching staff, I think it's pretty telling that they don't think Jones is going to make it.

with all the RB offers going out from the coaching staff, I think it's pretty telling that they don't think Jones is going to make it.

Burns have said they are only taking one RB in the 2015 class.

Also a quote from the Strib article. “It’s a great story,” Kill said. “Now Jeff’s the next steppingstone, and he knows what he has to do, and he’ll get there.”

I disagree. It is just recruiting as usual because they want at least 1 running back, so they will keep looking for at least that one running back and offers will go out.

Top Bottom