All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Jeff is a 6.0 on Rivals
The last time we even had a 5.8 was 2010 -- had Lamonte Edwards and Jimmy Gjere.
2009 had Hayo Carpenter and Michael Carter as a 5.9
MarQueis was a 5.9 in 2008. 2008 also had 5.8s in Brandon Green, Vincent Hill, Traye Simmons, David Pittman, and Sam Maresh
Alex Daniels was a 5.9 in 2005

I went back to 2002 and there were zero 6.0s for Minnesota.

Wow! An all star cast of Gophers!

Rivals lists his 40 time at 4.69. I assume (and hope) this is inaccurate. Has to be.

Rivals lists his 40 time at 4.69. I assume (and hope) this is inaccurate. Has to be.

4.69 is pretty fast for a HS SR.

For comparison, at least year's NFL combine:
Montee Ball (4.66)
Leveon Bell (4.6)
Rex Burkhead (4.73)
Giovani Bernard (4.53) - considered a really quick NFL back
Ray Graham (4.8)
Theo Riddick (4.68)

These guys were all slower or a hair faster than Jeff Jones as they entered into the NFL where they were able to pay for trainers whose sole mission was improving their 40 times. They were in college strength/speed programs and they matured into their bodies.

Don't let the inflated 40 times of some guys fool you, 4.69 is fast for a HS SR.

stay here jeff!

This post literally captures everything important in this thread!

Jeff Jones has a real opportunity to be a local hero. If he lives up to potential, he could be THE recruit that makes MN football relevant on a national/conference scale. I'm probably jumping to conclusions, but hey it's the night before signing day. However, if Jeff Jones commits to the U, I'd be shocked if we don't see him wearing Maroon and Gold in a New Years bowl game.

4.69 is pretty fast for a HS SR.

For comparison, at least year's NFL combine:
Montee Ball (4.66)
Leveon Bell (4.6)
Rex Burkhead (4.73)
Giovani Bernard (4.53) - considered a really quick NFL back
Ray Graham (4.8)
Theo Riddick (4.68)

These guys were all slower or a hair faster than Jeff Jones as they entered into the NFL where they were able to pay for trainers whose sole mission was improving their 40 times. They were in college strength/speed programs and they matured into their bodies.

Don't let the inflated 40 times of some guys fool you, 4.69 is fast for a HS SR.

Berkley ran a low of 4.35 according to Tom Vanharren at i think a detroit combine with a high of 4.41(hand timed but still) hopefully Jeff is at least a little bit faster then Cobb, Kirkwood and Kirkwood.

Berkley ran a low of 4.35 according to Tom Vanharren at i think a detroit combine with a high of 4.41(hand timed but still) hopefully Jeff is at least a little bit faster then Cobb, Kirkwood and Kirkwood.

2x faster than Kirkwood?!?!?!

Jeff is a 6.0 on Rivals
The last time we even had a 5.8 was 2010 -- had Lamonte Edwards and Jimmy Gjere.
2009 had Hayo Carpenter and Michael Carter as a 5.9
MarQueis was a 5.9 in 2008. 2008 also had 5.8s in Brandon Green, Vincent Hill, Traye Simmons, David Pittman, and Sam Maresh
Alex Daniels was a 5.9 in 2005

I went back to 2002 and there were zero 6.0s for Minnesota.

One word: Ouch.

@1500ESPN_Reusse: More drama as to whether Jeff Jones will be eligible than fact he's going to commit to Gophers. "He's a long way off,'' U official told me.

@1500ESPN_Reusse: More drama as to whether Jeff Jones will be eligible than fact he's going to commit to Gophers. "He's a long way off,'' U official told me.

There have been some conflicting reports over this. Some have said he's really close, others have said he isn't. Hopefully he does whatever he needs to do.

From a Strib recruiting article today.

Rivals.com ranks Jones as the nation’s 44th-best recruit and No. 7 running back, but he still needs to qualify academically to play Division I. Washburn coach Giovan Jenkins said Jones is close but needs to lift his grade-point average by two-tenths of a point and raise his ACT score by one point.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...243616281.html

The 'and' is interesting. 'Or' would be easier to accomplish. Also, I was under the impression that it's a sliding scale for ACT/GPA. So, if he does like 3 points better, he wouldn't need such a bump in GPA. Am I way off on this?

reusse? reusse got embarrassed when he spouted that reid travis was a gopher lock. when reid announced stanford ---reusse acted as though he knew the kid was going to stanford and that he (reusse) was just leading us on. it was sad hearing an old man back pedal due to the fact that his connections are old and wrong.

From a Strib recruiting article today.

Rivals.com ranks Jones as the nation’s 44th-best recruit and No. 7 running back, but he still needs to qualify academically to play Division I. Washburn coach Giovan Jenkins said Jones is close but needs to lift his grade-point average by two-tenths of a point and raise his ACT score by one point.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...243616281.html

The 'and' is interesting. 'Or' would be easier to accomplish. Also, I was under the impression that it's a sliding scale for ACT/GPA. So, if he does like 3 points better, he wouldn't need such a bump in GPA. Am I way off on this?

No. I interned with NIU's athletic department and used their "calculator" to determine if kids were on track to qualify. It is definitely a sliding scale.

Two tenths of a point in your senior year is a lot.

Wait...you're telling me that FatPrick actually acted in the capacity of a journalist and contacted an "official".

The lengths that guy will go to piss on the Gophers is amazing.

Gophers fans will have to wait 10 more minutes...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jones announcement to come around 10:10 because of class schedule.</p>— Doug ErlienFOX9 (@DougErlien) <a href="https://twitter.com/DougErlien/statuses/431089737982414848">February 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's a good sign - that he's going to class, right?

if your grades are lousy they are easier to improve by .2…it is when you have a slew of A's that it is nearly impossible to change. if he is playing basketball and not studying 24-7 then i am going to make a big assumption that he feels he has a handle on it. his dream is the NFL and if that is really his dream, then why would he be playing basketball and jeopardizing it all?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jeff Jones is ready for his close-up. Announcement in 15-20 mins <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> <a href="http://t.co/XIY8gLfD9w">pic.twitter.com/XIY8gLfD9w</a></p>— Jack Satzinger (@JackSatzinger) <a href="https://twitter.com/JackSatzinger/statuses/431094383656439808">February 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm pretty sure Minneapolis schools have a policy where you must have c average (2.0 gpa) to participate in sports

Top Bottom