All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Q&A: Washburn RB Jeff Jones: Gophers say I am their number one prospect for 2014

Q&A: Washburn RB Jeff Jones: Gophers say I am their number one prospect right now for 2014
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/202377?referrer_id=388419

Jeffrey Jones, a 5-foot-10, 180-pound junior running back from Minneapolis Washburn who is one of the top players in the state in the Class of 2014, was the first player from that class to receive a scholarship offer from Minnesota. The two-sport standout, who attended the Minnesota Junior Day and their Friday Night Camp Under The Lights this past year, talked with GopherHole.com Tuesday about the latest on his recruitment

Jones rushed 111 times for 1002 yards this past season with nine touchdowns as the Millers finished 7-2, losing to Holy Family 34-27 in the Section 2AAA playoffs.

Jones rushed for 1415 yards on 142 carries and had 26 touchdowns as a sophomore. He shined in the postseason as he rushed 57 times for 529 yards and eight scores in three playoff contests. Jones gained over 100 yards on the ground in eight of ten games as the Millers finished 7-3 as they lost in the Section 2AAA finals for the second year, falling to Holy Family Catholic 49-31.

Jones helped lead the Millers football team to a 7-4 mark, losing in the Class AAA in 2010, Section 2 finals to LeSueur-Henderson 60-32. Jones rushed 128 times for 773 and eight touchdowns as a freshman. Jones had 100 or more rushing yards in four games.

GopherHole.com caught up with Jones Tuesday night after the Millers fell to Roseville 85-51 in basketball to learn the latest on his recruitment

Gopher Hole: What offers are up to right now?

Jeffrey Jones: Minnesota, Michigan State, Iowa, Iowa State, Illinois, Wisconsin and Syracuse.

Gopher Hole: Have you been invited to any Junior Days yet?

Jeffrey Jones: Not that I know of. I haven’t heard anything from my coaches and the letters I am seeing don’t say much about Junior Days.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought much about camps this summer yet?

Jeffrey Jones: I actually haven’t. It is the beginning of the basketball season, so everything is kind of hectic right now. I am getting back with the chemistry of my new basketball team and coaching staff. .

Gopher Hole: Do you think basketball helps you with your football?

Jeffrey Jones: Yes, I do. There is not a lot of hitting on my body. I get a lot of conditioning in. I get my feet moving on defense, so that is pretty good for me.

Gopher Hole: I know that you had a good year, but maybe not quite the year that you had hoped for. What were your thoughts of this past season?

Jeffrey Jones: Honestly, I was really upset with the season that I had this year. This summer, I’ve got a nice workout plan in store, so next football season, I am pretty sure that the state will be in for a treat.

Gopher Hole: Was that a motivating factor having not done as well as you had hoped this past season to push you to do even better this upcoming year?

Jeffrey Jones: Yes.

Gopher Hole: What things are you going to be working on after basketball season to improve yourself as a player?

Jeffrey Jones: I am going to run track to improve my speed and I am also going to my teammates together to get in the weight room, so we can have that chemistry before the season and I need to become a better vocal leader.

Gopher Hole: Have you even thought about when you might try to decide on a college? Is that still kind of far away?

Jeffrey Jones: It is far away, but I think that I am going to do I if I get accepted to the Army Game and I want to do it at the Army Bowl, so hopefully I get blessed with that opportunity. .

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the Gophers?

Jeffrey Jones: The Gophers say I am their number one prospect right now for 2014. Just basically, Coach Kill has been trying to keep in touch with me through letters and talking to Coach Jenks (Washburn head coach Giovan Jenkins). Just keeping a nice eye on me.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to go to many college games this year?

Jeffrey Jones: I think that I went to Syracuse, Michigan State and Northwestern (as guest of Minnesota) and I also went to the Iowa versus Minnesota game and Iowa versus Purdue.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to play for the homestate school?

Jeffrey Jones: Oh, man. It would mean a lot. If I do choose them, it would mean a lot to me emotionally, just because this is my city and this is where I am from. I watched them struggle for so long and to finally get a chance to put on a uniform and help, if that is where I choose.

Gopher Hole: Do you have a favorite school yet?

Jeffrey Jones: No, I don’t. You can’t have a favorite school in this business.

Gopher Hole: Of all the schools that have offered you, are they all on the same level playing field?

Jeffrey Jones: Pretty much, but there are schools like Iowa and Minnesota that show more love than others. They are one and two right now because they have been talking to me the most and they have been showing me that they will be in my best interest the most.

a jeff and tyus jones entrance to the U wouldnt be a bad year for 2014 recruiting...

Hope he comes here, just so pantherhawk has one less bullet in his arsenal lol

coaches tell every kid they are the number one recruit....ryt?

I won't believe he's the #1 recruit until his Mom's bff confirms it. But seriously, it would be great for Jeff to stay home and wear the maroon and gold.

Go Gophers!

a jeff and tyus jones entrance to the U wouldnt be a bad year for 2014 recruiting...
That would be really awesome, and getting the local kids could engage some of the local fans who love big time college sports, but have not really fallen in love with the Gopher's programs yet.

If he is number one, and the Gophers are number one...then make it happen. stop the bull$hit.

The Gophers desperately need offensive firepower; I'm not sold on Nelson yet, either. Hope they land this guy and a couple more...

That would be a game changer for the U with in-state highly rated athletes, especially if the Gophers had great success with them.

It sounds like Jerry is doing good work with this kid. Keep it up and seal the deal.

I won't believe he's the #1 recruit until his Mom's bff confirms it. But seriously, it would be great for Jeff to stay home and wear the maroon and gold.

Go Gophers!

Aaaaaaaalways. lol

I've seen Jones play and honestly, I think he's a bit overhyped. He seems pretty raw still, but no doubt he will be a good D1 RB.

4 Star RB Jeff Jones commits to Gophers!!!!!!!

‏@RyanBurnsGI
I have learned that Minneapolis (Minn.) 2014 4-star running back Jeff Jones has committed to #Minnesota. Huge pickup to start the 2014 class

@RyanBurnsGI
4-star running back Jeff Jones committed back in early January, but did not want anyone to know until Minnesota's junior day today.

awesome hopefully he can convince some other kids to join him!

quote from the GI article:

"I grew up here in Twin Cities hearing about great running backs like Lawrence Maroney and Marion Barber III and I want to be a guy like that for the Gophers one day."

God I hope so

Awesome that he waited to announce on Junior Day too. All the other top '14 guys from in-state saw this happen and hopefully it'll lead to some momentum for the rest of the Minnesota class.

Our 2014 Offense:

QB: Phillip Nelson
RB: Jeff Jones, Berkley Edwards
WR: Andre McDonald, Jamel Harbison, Drew Wolitarsky
TE: Maxx Williams

WOW!

Top Bottom