Page 2 of 182 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 2729
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Marshall
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    Nice article here: http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1170219.html

    Some highlights:
    How does a kid come in from middle school and lead a group of juniors and seniors? Jones demonstrated how the last two seasons as he established himself as one of guys the other kids look up to despite his youth.

    "He's an all around leader. He's a kid that when coaches say he has "it," he has "it." He's a leader and a motivator. He's a kid that pushes seniors even when he was a freshman; pushes them to work harder and do their best. He's a practice kid, a game kid, a workout, weight room kid, a summer training kid. Everything you do he does to the best of his abilities and he competes at a high level at everything he does."
    That offer will go a long way, because Jones is not the type of kid who will forget where he came from or who was first, as evidenced by his resistance to transfer schools in the face of numerous recruiting attempts.

    "He was really really happy to get the in-state school. He's a very loyal kid and that's why he's not at your Eden Prairies or your Wayzatas or Cretins or DeLaSalle for that matter. DeLaSalle and Eden Prairie and Holy Angels, they still contact him through, not the coaches themselves, but individuals associated with the program, and try to convince him that he's in a bad place and the grass is greener on the other side, and he's a loyal kid. He's a kid that always wanted to be a Miller. Both his siblings went to Washburn and he grew up wanting to be a Washburn Miller ever since he could remember, so there wasn't a lot of stuff I had to do to convince him or keep him around. I just had to let him know that I would go to bat for him and the rest has kind of been history."


  2. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,725
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Stay home and don't cross that border! This is the first step in making this program successful for years to come.

  3. #18

    Default

    Jeff Jones now has a Michigan St. offer.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    2,451

    Default

    I hope he doesn't commit for awhile so he can stockpile offers. It will make more of an impact in the media and in the rank and file fan's mind if he's pulling in letters from powerhouses. It doesn't mean he's any better of a player if we are his only offer and he commits early versus holding out and committing later in the game, but the perception is vastly different and can create recruiting momentum.

  5. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westcoastgopher11 View Post
    I hope he doesn't commit for awhile so he can stockpile offers. It will make more of an impact in the media and in the rank and file fan's mind if he's pulling in letters from powerhouses. It doesn't mean he's any better of a player if we are his only offer and he commits early versus holding out and committing later in the game, but the perception is vastly different and can create recruiting momentum.
    Or vice versa he can committ early and start recruiting other talented kids to join him...either way all that matters is he plays and becomes a star for the hometown Maroon and Gold.

  6. #21

    Default

    picked up a wisco offer

  7. #22

    Default

    Per my post in the Malik Rucker thread...Visiting Notre Dame this weekend. Good friends with Jaylon Smith who is a 5 star committed recruit for the Irish. Going to be a big time player. Probably one of the top players out of Minnesota in the last 10 years.

    http://247sports.com/Article/Jeff-Jo...RAS-Camp-75986

    Recent article on 247 about camp he attended.

  8. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackiO View Post
    Per my post in the Malik Rucker thread...Visiting Notre Dame this weekend. Good friends with Jaylon Smith who is a 5 star committed recruit for the Irish. Going to be a big time player. Probably one of the top players out of Minnesota in the last 10 years.

    http://247sports.com/Article/Jeff-Jo...RAS-Camp-75986

    Recent article on 247 about camp he attended.
    You're a tool.

  9. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattw1067 View Post
    You're a tool.
    +1. A gal that only posts Notre Dame info on a Gopher message board. Here's a clue: no one cares.

  10. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    +1. A gal that only posts Notre Dame info on a Gopher message board. Here's a clue: no one cares.
    the inate lack of intelligence here is mildy disturbing only because it's expected of this fan base. heres a clue: 98% of my posts in my time here have been gopher related, morons. It sucks to suck, I know, so i'm OK having to deal with salty attitudes here every once in a while. Look past the word notre dame and you will realize it had barely anything to do with them other than providing an update on a recruit which never happens here because the interest in this program is so unbearably low right now no one cares to even bother. If anything you should be thanking me.

  11. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackiO View Post
    the inate lack of intelligence here is mildy disturbing
    Lol. Yes, it is.

  12. #27

    Default

    In the past decade the Gophers have had three (or more) RB's rush for 1,000 (Maroney, MBII, Pinnex, Russell?). 3 of them played in the NFL.

    In the past decade Jerry Kill has coached 4 RB's that have rushed for over 1,000 yards. These players have spent time on NFL rosters. Brandon Jacobs, Deji Karim (Jags/Colts) Arkee Whitlock (Vikes Prac squad), Chad Spann (Steelers-2011).

    Jerry Kill is trying to establish an offense that is based on the run game ala Barber/Maroney years. Jeff Jones could be the X factor on offense.

    If Jeffery Jones wants to be "the guy" on offense, he will give MN a strong look. Plus the U of MN is a top notch academic institution.

    This could happen folks.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    PIT/MSP
    Posts
    2,375

    Default

    Oh thank you fan of holier than thou, God's gift to earth Notre Dame. What would we ever do without you.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    2,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saluki07
    In the past decade the Gophers have had three (or more) RB's rush for 1,000 (Maroney, MBII, Pinnex, Russell?). 3 of them played in the NFL.

    In the past decade Jerry Kill has coached 4 RB's that have rushed for over 1,000 yards. These players have spent time on NFL rosters. Brandon Jacobs, Deji Karim (Jags/Colts) Arkee Whitlock (Vikes Prac squad), Chad Spann (Steelers-2011).

    Jerry Kill is trying to establish an offense that is based on the run game ala Barber/Maroney years. Jeff Jones could be the X factor on offense.

    If Jeffery Jones wants to be "the guy" on offense, he will give MN a strong look. Plus the U of MN is a top notch academic institution.

    This could happen folks.
    Jerry Kill's success with running backs is relevant. The success of running backs two coaches ago is irrelevant IMO, other than Kill wanting productive runners as every coach does.
    FiveStarFan is my biggest fan

  15. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackiO View Post
    the inate lack of intelligence here is mildy disturbing only because it's expected of this fan base. heres a clue: 98% of my posts in my time here have been gopher related, morons. It sucks to suck, I know, so i'm OK having to deal with salty attitudes here every once in a while. Look past the word notre dame and you will realize it had barely anything to do with them other than providing an update on a recruit which never happens here because the interest in this program is so unbearably low right now no one cares to even bother. If anything you should be thanking me.
    I don't really mind the Notre Dame updates on here but you shouldn't categorize your post as merely giving us an update on a recruit. All of your updates are Notre Dame related.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •