All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Jeff had 7 catches for 132 yards and a TD and 15 carries for 83 yards and a TD against UW-River Falls playing for Waldorf. Against Dordt, he had 15 carries for 85 yards and 5 catches for 44 yards.

Really nice to see him back on the field. I think these are the first games he's played in since TCU and Ohio on special teams in 2015.

http://www.waldorfwarriors.com/stats/2019-20/090719_waldorf.html
http://www.waldorfwarriors.com/stats/2019-20/boxscore_20190921_0603.pdf

Hopefully it works out for him and he is able to keep his nose clean. Still young enough to turn his life around even if the end result isn't a professional football career like I am sure he hoped it would be coming out of high school.

If (big if) he keeps his nose clean, maybe he could enter the transfer portal and transfer to the U. As a high schooler, there wasn’t anyone any better in the Twin Cities.

If (big if) he keeps his nose clean, maybe he could enter the transfer portal and transfer to the U. As a high schooler, there wasn’t anyone any better in the Twin Cities.

He’s out of NCAA eligibility, his clock ran out. That’s why he’s at an NAIA school where your clock pauses if you aren’t enrolled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope he plays well AND gets a degree.

Big Game Boomer and Jeff Jones...a good reminder not to come to Gopherhole.com

Wow! That is quite a list.....I'm a huge college football fan and I have no idea who 1/2 of those players are (and this is from approximately 2000 to present). Just goes to show what a crapshoot evaluating high school football players is!!!
So this is what I was thinking too.

I got half way through the list and thought, that would be a terrible football team.

Not good but also a sample rate of 4.

Even the top programs have bigger names that do squat.
Only two more in the top 10 made any kind of impact, Gray and Michael Carter. Big Dan just outside the top 10 (11). Basically, a very high percentage of the top 20 on this list are huge misses. After that, you see a good percentage of hits on recruits.

In my opinion, a program like Minnesota can't afford the type of misses on the high end recruits that OHSt or Bama can.

Wow! That is quite a list.....I'm a huge college football fan and I have no idea who 1/2 of those players are (and this is from approximately 2000 to present). Just goes to show what a crapshoot evaluating high school football players is!!!
Half? I would put the number at closer to 2/3 that I had never heard of. And these in theory should be the can't miss type guys with really high ratings. At least in terms of the guys from power 5 schools.

Only two more in the top 10 made any kind of impact, Gray and Michael Carter. Big Dan just outside the top 10 (11). Basically, a very high percentage of the top 20 on this list are huge misses. After that, you see a good percentage of hits on recruits.

In my opinion, a program like Minnesota can't afford the type of misses on the high end recruits that OHSt or Bama can.
Can’t afford to miss…. but they get to pick last…

I don’t think that makes sense.

I think Jones had talent but evaluators can't really predict the off the field toubles and being a bad lockeroom guy

Can’t afford to miss…. but they get to pick last…

I don’t think that makes sense.
I just think that more than 30% of your biggest recruiting gets need to have more of an impact on a program like Minnesota. I'm not saying they all should, but I would expect more than half to make an impact. It just feels like too many wasted scholarships.

I just think that more than 30% of your biggest recruiting gets need to have more of an impact on a program like Minnesota. I'm not saying they all should, but I would expect more than half to make an impact. It just feels like too many wasted scholarships.
I guess then they should aim lower?

I choose to look at these rankings from a different viewpoint.

These 4* players are the ones we can sign for a reason.

You don't evaluate the quality of a class based on the percentage of high rated recruits in it that are successful. You evaluate a class based on the full group and the percentage of those guys that pan out.

Lots of high rated recruits are busts and lots of low rated recruits go on to become key contributors or even stars.

It’s kind of the opposite
Minnesota is only likely to land that high of athletic prospects if they’re likely to be misses.

If they didn’t have baggage they wind up somewhere else.

It’s kind of the opposite
Minnesota is only likely to land that high of athletic prospects if they’re likely to be misses.

If they didn’t have baggage they wind up somewhere else.
You just described Brewster's recruiting. Lots of stars and also lots of issues.

I figured this throwback thread was gonna be some more ChatGPT fallout calling Jones a Heisman winner or something hah!

I would think that Jeff Jones would have his career going by now. Anyone know what he is up to?

Top Bottom