All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"Explore his options" - the kiss of death.

Already downgraded to soft verbal on Rivals.

I hope the talk with Jerry didn't start out with this, "We need to talk."

I'm sorry but this "can you blame him" and he's exploring all options is b.s. Here's an idea don't commit to a school until your fully committed to it.

I'm sorry but this "can you blame him" and he's exploring all options is b.s. Here's an idea don't commit to a school until your fully committed to it.

Yep. What is the point of jerking around the coach you supposedly want to play for? Take your visits. Think about things. Talk things over with the needed people then make a decision.

When Jones committed he stated that he would still take other visits so as far as I can tell not much has changed. Nothing to get all uppity about, at least not yet.

When Jones committed he stated that he would still take other visits so as far as I can tell not much has changed. Nothing to get all uppity about, at least not yet.

I could swear I just read somewhere that after he made his Iowa St. visit he made the comment "I'm still committed to Minnesota". As in showing...My decision has not changed.

This is something I've warned about. Until the kid is signed, sealed and delivered (via signed the LOI), don't consider him a 'future Gopher' or a 'Gopher commit'. It's hardly a commit. It's a verbal.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"Explore his options" - the kiss of death.

Already downgraded to soft verbal on Rivals.

It's not an over reaction to feel that "explore my options" is code language for "...I'm doubting my decision a great deal". In fact, if you look back at all the times this has happened, what percentage of the time do you think we end up losing the recruit? My guess is over 80% of the time. But, I really do admire you optimists. Wish my brain worked that way.

This has to drive coaches nuts. I'm sure every time a kid makes a verbal commit the coach is thinking to himself, 'we'll see'.

Not to be that guy, but Keelon said a lot of that stuff too. Even Malik talked about how it would be a dream to be recruited by Minnesota (or something like that).

Kill knows well enough that his recruitment has just started. Let's not be naive.
*nods sadly*

What's the story here? At the time of Jones alleged "commitment" in January, he said that he would still be taking visits. Interpretation: the U is my front-runner, but I'm keeping my options open. Now he takes a visit 3 months later, still maintains he is "committed," and this is big news? I don't see what's changed...

Hopefully we keep this kid. He's going to be a star wherever he goes. The top backs of the last five years do NOT have a better video montage of his High School plays. Like i said earlier, i almost hope he gets a nagging injury and has a so-so year. he's that good; a game and program changer.

Hopefully we keep this kid. He's going to be a star wherever he goes. The top backs of the last five years do NOT have a better video montage of his High School plays. Like i said earlier, i almost hope he gets a nagging injury and has a so-so year. he's that good; a game and program changer.

Disagree. Many thought the same thing about McDonald, Nelson, etc. No one in college football is a program changer. The Gopher program will change when we have 22 good starters out on the field, and good depth behind them.

Disagree. Many thought the same thing about McDonald, Nelson, etc. No one in college football is a program changer. The Gopher program will change when we have 22 good starters out on the field, and good depth behind them.

I basically agree with your "22 good starters" point, but it's a little early to make conclusions about McDonald and Nelson...they could very well be program changers eventually. Remember, in a perfect world they'd both be redshirt freshman this year and we'd all be salivating at their potential.

One of the dumber things i've ever read. I hope that he has an amazing year, setting state records, and carries that enthusiasm with him into our program.

One of the dumber things i've ever read. I hope that he has an amazing year, setting state records, and carries that enthusiasm with him into our program.

Haha yeah, I always cringe when people make statements like "I hope xxx get's injured" or stuff like that. Even if you mean good, it's just poor form in general.

I basically agree with your "22 good starters" point, but it's a little early to make conclusions about McDonald and Nelson...they could very well be program changers eventually. Remember, in a perfect world they'd both be redshirt freshman this year and we'd all be salivating at their potential.

I don't know of a single college football player in the past 30 year who has been a program changer. What does that even mean? Eli Manning certainly elevated Ole Miss during his time there, and then they desceneded again quickly after he left. Don't get me wrong, I want all of the Jeff Jones, Philip Nelson, and Andre McDonald type players we can get, because they are really good football players. But a football program is built by having 80 quality players on the team. I'll take a team with 22 good starters over a team with 4 great players and 18 mediocre ones every day.

I don't know of a single college football player in the past 30 year who has been a program changer. What does that even mean? Eli Manning certainly elevated Ole Miss during his time there, and then they desceneded again quickly after he left. Don't get me wrong, I want all of the Jeff Jones, Philip Nelson, and Andre McDonald type players we can get, because they are really good football players. But a football program is built by having 80 quality players on the team. I'll take a team with 22 good starters over a team with 4 great players and 18 mediocre ones every day.

Yeah, we're basically on the same page...my main point was that I just wanted to make sure you weren't discounting Nelson and McDonald already. I agree about football being about the team as a whole...this isn't basketball.

This has to drive coaches nuts. I'm sure every time a kid makes a verbal commit the coach is thinking to himself, 'we'll see'.

Coaches get it. They know that the verbal means nothing which is why they continue to recruit guys even after they commit. There are the guys who shut down their recruiting after they verbal, those guys are basically locks but any kid that is still taking visits and talking to schools is not truly commited to anyone.

Kid must want to stay somewhat local if he is "coming" here and taking a visit to Iowa St.

His video montage should look great because he plays in one of the worst high school football conferences in the Midwest. Washburn and maybe Southwest are pretty much the only schools in the conference that can field a full roster. With the exception of basketball, the Minneapolis City Conference is beyond pathetic.

oh give the kid a break. he should explore his options so he's happy with his choice. who knows? maybe he goes to iowa state and says it sucks (like it does) and becomes more solid here

I won't spend any effort attempting to convince you otherwise (we're both biased, obviously), but have you ever been to ISU? Just curious as to the background on the comment that Iowa State sucks.

Here are a couple links to ISU's new football complex, just opened last fall - another attempt by Iowa State to "suck less" and hopefully lure recruits like Jones.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=205362641

http://www.cyclones.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?&PALBID=508977&DB_OEM_ID=10700

This is the proper view of recruiting and players for the team.

I won't spend any effort attempting to convince you otherwise (we're both biased, obviously), but have you ever been to ISU? Just curious as to the background on the comment that Iowa State sucks.

Here are a couple links to ISU's new football complex, just opened last fall - another attempt by Iowa State to "suck less" and hopefully lure recruits like Jones.

If you're an Iowa State fan you should know the background of that statement. You're historically the whipping boys of the Big 12, and the second best program in your own (crappy) state. Nothing personal, but you did ask, and the next player from Minnesota to choose Iowa State over any Big Ten program will be the first one.

If you're an Iowa State fan you should know the background of that statement. You're historically the whipping boys of the Big 12, and the second best program in your own (crappy) state. Nothing personal, but you did ask, and the next player from Minnesota to choose Iowa State over any Big Ten program will be the first one.

this handles it pretty well i'd say as to where my suck comment comes from. facilities do look nice. was definitely a good upgrade for you guys

i should say though that i'm only talking about the product on the field (typically) and nothing to do with the staff, facilities, people, city, etc. as i have never been there and am not the type of person to say that without firsthand knowledge.

Maybe you have a new complex....but it's still in Ames.

Top Bottom