All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Why all the hand wringing guys? He is committed to our program now. If he changes his mind, we won't be able to do anything about it anyway. Let's just be happy that we have the first big in state recruit excited to play for the Maroon and Gold!

Agree there is no point worrying about what may or may not happen because none of us have any control over the situation anyway. Right now he is commited to the U of M. Between now and signing day anything can happen. We know the staff will do everything they can to keep him on board so as fans all we can do is sit back and hope for the best.

Sums up that nasa post perfectly. But that's one of the worst posts I've ever seen. You are telling people to hope for an injury to a kid committed to our school, who is from here, who's done nothing but indicate he wants to be here even going back a few years, who is one of the top players in the entire country, and says he will recruit other kids to come here. We're THAT jaded, it's sad.

In fairness to Nasa he has been wowed by the kids youtube videos and is clearly not thinking clearly. He watched some youtube clips and decided he is going to be a top 5 back in the country so yeah clearly our only hope is him getting hurt to make the big dogs stay away. Haven't watched them all but I would feel pretty confident that any back in the top 20 or more has a really impressive youtube video, crappy players don't tend to find themselves ranked taht high.

In fairness to Nasa he has been wowed by the kids youtube videos and is clearly not thinking clearly. He watched some youtube clips and decided he is going to be a top 5 back in the country so yeah clearly our only hope is him getting hurt to make the big dogs stay away. Haven't watched them all but I would feel pretty confident that any back in the top 20 or more has a really impressive youtube video, crappy players don't tend to find themselves ranked taht high.

Well I am sure that nasa has spent the last week doing nothing but combing through Youtube, hudl, and private films of the top 50 or so RB's across the country. After all, how else could he make such a bold claim?

STrib blog: Washburn running back's commitment should help Gophers recruiting efforts

“It’s good for Minnesota to kind of put a fence around their own state,” said Tom Lemming, recruiting analyst for CBS Sports Network. “Initially, you’ve got to land your top guys, and then you go out of state after that. I think it really bodes well for the class of 2014. They can use him sort of a centerpiece to attract [De La Salle QB] Reid Travis and some of the other guys.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/191399371.html

Go Gophers!!

I'd rather Reid play basketball, but love that we'll be able to use Jones as a recruiting tool.

I'd rather Reid play basketball, but love that we'll be able to use Jones as a recruiting tool.

He definitely has a better future in basketball; but if he wants to play both and the coaches are cool with it I'm not gonna stop him. ;)

This is all pure speculation, but I think Travis becomes a Gopher. I'm not sure if he will play basketball or football, but the kid seems to be a pretty big Gopher fan. I know he was pushing hard for Malik Rucker to switch to the U at the last minute.

I'd love to have Travis on our football team. I don't care if he ever plays a down. Having him as a walk-on to the basketball team would be an amazing gift.

I'd love to have Travis on our football team. I don't care if he ever plays a down. Having him as a walk-on to the basketball team would be an amazing gift.

Didn't even think of this possibility. That would be great if he took a football scholarship and walked on to the basketball team. We wouldn't get him for most of the non-conference, but I think it would be worth it to have him contribute to both teams. Would also leave a bball scholarship for Okafor. ;)

Wow I didn't even really think about it but yea, this would be a ridiculously nice way to squeeze a scholarship worthy player into the lineup.

If he switched from QB to a less demanding position like TE and just was a Jimmy Graham type for us in the red zone and passing situations both teams could benefit big time. QB would be a stretch just because of the sheer amount of offseason work he would have to do to prepare to play the position well, but if he was just a pass catching TE he could keep his body pretty rested for both seasons.

westcoastgopher11 said:
Wow I didn't even really think about it but yea, this would be a ridiculously nice way to squeeze a scholarship worthy player into the lineup.

If he switched from QB to a less demanding position like TE and just was a Jimmy Graham type for us in the red zone and passing situations both teams could benefit big time. QB would be a stretch just because of the sheer amount of offseason work he would have to do to prepare to play the position well, but if he was just a pass catching TE he could keep his body pretty rested for both seasons.

Charlie Ward and Donovan McNabb did it pretty well. I'm not saying QB is definitely what Reid should play, but it can be done.

Gophers @ No.17 in the 2014 recruiting class ranking

per Doogie:

"Future Gophers running back Jeff Jones, a junior at Minneapolis Washburn: "I would love to play basketball in college, but it'd be hard to balance the academics part of that. ... I don't think Tubby (Smith) knows about my basketball skills, but he'll find out soon. ... I love (basketball) as much as football." Jones' basketball season ended when his team lost to Richfield in a section playoff game on Tuesday."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/..._Kahn_coming_in_April_Wolves_owner_says030813

Go Gophers!!

Is there reason to be concerned?

@AllenTrieu: #Minnesota commit Jeff Jones visiting #IowaState tomorrow. A note on his #Gophers status

Go Gophers!!

He said when he "committed" that he was going to continue taking visits.

Q: Are you still hearing from any other schools despite your commitment?
A: Yeah, I am.
Q: Is your recruitment totally closed? Are you still open to listen to other schools?
A: I’m still open, but I’m just waiting on my official visits.

http://gopherreport.wix.com/home#!football/c66t

I wouldn't be too surprised if he visits Wisconsin/Michigan State/Iowa/other B1Gs, too.

I don't blame Jones for visiting other schools, but lets not kid ourselves by calling him committed.

He's already said more than once that he's looking forward to turning this program around and staying home. If you were him wouldn't you still want to take some visits, be pampered by everybody and just see other schools. He still needs to make sure he has options in case something strange\unexpected happens to the MN program.

I'd rather have him visit other schools now early in the game still and make sure that he's sold on MN now then wait until the end and have someone pull out all the stops (whether they be legal or around the way of the law) and steal jones very near to signing day. can't say i blame him one bit for checking out other places. plus its iowa state for god's sake.

It comes down to JK needing to have a good season in 2013 - not a great one necessarily, but one good enough to show that he's making progress and turning the team around. If he team moves backward in the coming season, JJ will move on. I'm not at all concerned that that is what is going to happen, so we should see JJ's name on the dotted line next Feb.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"Explore his options" - the kiss of death.

Already downgraded to soft verbal on Rivals.

Skeletons in the closet?

oh give the kid a break. he should explore his options so he's happy with his choice. who knows? maybe he goes to iowa state and says it sucks (like it does) and becomes more solid here

Anytime a kid commits this early, it's pretty much not really a commitment. Just gotta let it play out, hope he "sticks", but Kill knows he'll be recruiting this guy until signing day. He's said before you gotta recruit the committed kids just as hard, if not harder, than the other ones.

This is why Killer has always said you keep recruiting 'em till they sign on the dotted line.

Anytime a kid commits this early, it's pretty much not really a commitment. Just gotta let it play out, hope he "sticks", but Kill knows he'll be recruiting this guy until signing day. He's said before you gotta recruit the committed kids just as hard, if not harder, than the other ones.

Yep, until signing day the verbal commitment is really nothing more than a place holder. Not surprised he is taking some visits, this one is going to be a battle and it will be huge for Kill to prove that he can get guys like Jones to not only commit but also sign on the dotted line. Anyone that follow recruiting at all knows that nothing is a sure thing prior to signing day no matter how commited a kid says he is.

Top Bottom