All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

What if he loses a year to injury? Can he get a 6th year?

Never say never with the NCAA, but by rule, no he would not be a candidate for a waiver of the Five-Year Rule under that scenario.

You guys have the implications of a nonqualifier down, it seems. That is, if if he becomes eligible and does fine throughout college... he'll technically have 3 years of competition eligibility remaining, but can earn a 4th after his 4th year of college. So, it really has the "look" of a redshirt freshman next year. (i.e., 4 years left on his clock, can compete in 4 seasons so long as academics are in order, as defined.)

Back to the injury. Let's say he's injured in 2015 or beyond... and either misses a full season (i.e., redshirt) or has circumstances that would normally qualify him for a medical hardship waiver. In those cases, no luck. The reason is that the Five-Year Rule can be (generally) waived when there are *two* seasons missed due to circumstances outside of the control of the student-athlete and the institution. Being a nonqualifier due to poor grades/test scores is deemed to be within the control of the student-athlete.

How is Jones' situation different from M. Gray's? It's an honest question...not rhetorical. I know nothing of the nuances of eligibility, but it seems that Gray had to 'wait' a year and still had four solid years to compete. Or was the final only due to being 80% done with a degree?

How is Jones' situation different from M. Gray's? It's an honest question...not rhetorical. I know nothing of the nuances of eligibility, but it seems that Gray had to 'wait' a year and still had four solid years to compete. Or was the final only due to being 80% done with a degree?

Gray never enrolled. Jones did. I believe that's the difference.

Gray was never a non-qualifier. He had his ACT score flagged as "suspect" and he had to prove he was legitimately eligible. He did so he was a full qualifier - just 1-year later than planned.

JJ was a non-qualifier. He needed an initial eligibility waiver (partially approved) to avoid the mandatory 2-year JuCo route.

Gray was never a non-qualifier. He had his ACT score flagged as "suspect" and he had to prove he was legitimately eligible. He did so he was a full qualifier - just 1-year later than planned.

JJ was a non-qualifier. He needed an initial eligibility waiver (partially approved) to avoid the mandatory 2-year JuCo route.

Thanks Spoofin

I think that is what many people are missing in this discussion. JJ did not want to the take JuCo route. Most people who are non-qualifier end up doing that but he didn't. He instead chose the initial eligibility waiver route. It seems to me that route inherently has some additional risks if you are not successful, i.e. not earning a B or greater average your first semester. I am not sure what would have happened if he hadn't but I would be very interested to know what would have.

Thanks Spoofin

I think that is what many people are missing in this discussion. JJ did not want to the take JuCo route. Most people who are non-qualifier end up doing that but he didn't. He instead chose the initial eligibility waiver route. It seems to me that route inherently has some additional risks if you are not successful, i.e. not earning a B or greater average your first semester. I am not sure what would have happened if he hadn't but I would be very interested to know what would have.

Additionally, you need to have some "hardship" to even be granted an initial eligibility waiver. I don't know the details on what qualifies as a hardship. The clearinghouse can grant fully (immediate eligibility), deny fully (hello JuCo), or give different levels of "partial approval" (scholarship & no practice, scholarship & practice, etc.). There is some analytical analysis they do to determine how likely you may be to succeed. I posted an excerpt from the NCAA document in the "RB changes" thread today (discussing same topic) for those interested. Or one could simply Google it (that is how I found it).

Thanks Spoofin

Still a possibility that he won't (even though a lot of signs point that he most likely will).

PiPress: Gophers football recruit Jeff Jones ready for spring practice

Jones, Minnesota's Mr. Football last year, was not eligible to practice with the team this season while focusing on his academics.

But he did what needed to do to be eligible for the spring semester.

"I'm real excited," Jones said. "I had a really good semester."

"You don't usually see players gushing about others," Limegrover said. "But when Jeff has been around and he's been doing stuff on his own with our players, they've been gushing. They've made it a point to let myself, coach (Jerry) Kill and coach (Pat) Poore know that there's something there. That's pretty neat when those other guys see it. We feel really good that we've built some depth there. We think it's a product of a kid going, 'I can go there and run the rock.' To put together three or four running backs who can really go and get you 1,500 yards, I think that's pretty exciting. So the competition is going to be great."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

PiPress: Gophers football recruit Jeff Jones ready for spring practice

Jones, Minnesota's Mr. Football last year, was not eligible to practice with the team this season while focusing on his academics.

But he did what needed to do to be eligible for the spring semester.

"I'm real excited," Jones said. "I had a really good semester."

"You don't usually see players gushing about others," Limegrover said. "But when Jeff has been around and he's been doing stuff on his own with our players, they've been gushing. They've made it a point to let myself, coach (Jerry) Kill and coach (Pat) Poore know that there's something there. That's pretty neat when those other guys see it. We feel really good that we've built some depth there. We think it's a product of a kid going, 'I can go there and run the rock.' To put together three or four running backs who can really go and get you 1,500 yards, I think that's pretty exciting. So the competition is going to be great."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Great to hear but it's still not official, is it?

It's not complicated, it's a set GPA standard based on his official transcript, submitted to the NCAA. Once the grades are on the transcript and the transcript is submitted it's official. There is no evaluation process involved.

It's not complicated, it's a set GPA standard based on his official transcript, submitted to the NCAA. Once the grades are on the transcript and the transcript is submitted it's official. There is no evaluation process involved.

I understand. I'm asking if is official that he got a 2.5 GPA this semester or are we still waiting on that.

Gray was never a non-qualifier. He had his ACT score flagged as "suspect" and he had to prove he was legitimately eligible. He did so he was a full qualifier - just 1-year later than planned...

Not a huge deal, but this info is not quite fully accurate.

However, if repeated often enough, it could become reality...

i don't think this is how many hoped the jones journey would evlove

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

i don't think this is how many hoped the jones journey would evlove

more chapters to be written. we aint done yet.

Go Gophers!!

Does this surprise anybody? Everybody we recruit Iowa St. trys to recruit. Now they even go after our academic cast offs!

Does this surprise anybody? Everybody we recruit Iowa St. trys to recruit. Now they even go after our academic cast offs!
Too bad we don't play them or we could break out the "Gopher Rejects" chant that was mothballed since hockey moved to the B1G.

IA state was his other finalist out of HS. Not surprising they would put their hat in the ring again this time around.

It is almost like we play the same sport in the same geographic area.

Ames, Iowa does not qualify as a geographic location.

could someone take a moment to explain how long JJ is at IA CC... its the amt of time it takes to complete the degree ...correct?

Top Bottom