All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

Hope I'm wrong, but it feels like Edwards may be the odd man out. With Jeff Jones, Rodney Smith and Rodrick Williams in line next year.

Funny how he's declared "eligible" when most finals can take your grade from a C or B to an F in a hurry.

He must be doing comfortably well. Thank goodness he'll be sticking around.

Hope I'm wrong, but it feels like Edwards may be the odd man out. With Jeff Jones, Rodney Smith and Rodrick Williams in line next year.

I respect your opinion. But I'll disagree. Edwards has gotten more carries than William this year so I don't know why Williams would jump him other than situational stuff. And the other guys hopefully are very good. But they have to earn it and they have yet to play a college down so for me, its hard to say who will get the majority of carries.

I respect your opinion. But I'll disagree. Edwards has gotten more carries than William this year so I don't know why Williams would jump him other than situational stuff. And the other guys hopefully are very good. But they have to earn it and they have yet to play a college down so for me, its hard to say who will get the majority of carries.

If it's not Jeff, our running game is in trouble.

Funny how he's declared "eligible" when most finals can take your grade from a C or B to an F in a hurry.

He must be doing comfortably well. Thank goodness he'll be sticking around.

I had very few finals that were weighted enough to actually change my grade that significantly. My highest weighted final I can remember was 30 % of my grade maybe 35%. If you are sitting at a B you are not going to drop to an F even if you guess blindly. Before finals each semester I would sit down and calculate exactly what percentage I needed on my finals to move up a grade (B to B+ or B+ to A-) and exactly what percentage I needed to stay at my current grade without dropping (B to B-). This saved me A LOT of studying because a lot of the time you needed a near perfect grade (90+ %) to move up but only needed like 30% to stay where you were which required very little effort.

I would assume most of the classes he is taking are more the type of classes where you get credit for numerous assignments throughout the semester and finals have very little impact on the grades. Most of the entry level classes are this way so people can't really fail them. I also assume he has tutors that are tutoring the sh!t out of him.

Only works if teams have fear of him doing anything else. Berkeley as a WR doesn't scare anyone so they'll be defending the sweep and screen from the jump. No element of surprise st this stage in his career

I promised myself I would not comment on the jet sweep again, so I apologize.

I do think you're missing the point of the jet sweep and why it is effective. The fact that Maye is a receiving threat doesn't matter for this play. It really is not trying to surprise anyone (you usually put him in motion, like "hey look at me!"). The purpose of this play is to keep the defensive ends / OLBers from crashing in hard on the inside run (or threat of the inside run). It's to keep them honest. If they aren't honest, you can pop that jet sweep for 10-12 on the outside. IF they are forced to stay honest, there are more running lanes inside for the HB.

We saw Mason use this quite a bit. The Badgers use it quite a bit with Gordon early in his career (who was absolutely not a receiving threat).

Berkley's issue is that he isn't setting up his blocks real well at this time. Running a sweep can take some patience.

Edwards will be fine in time. How much did Maye contribute before this year?

Jones should be the next Gopher we hear about in the Doak Walker conversation. Obviously, things don't always work out that way, but if he was willing to put in the work in the classroom to get eligible you can be sure he'll put in the work on the football field to be the best he can be. I believe the best Jones can be in this system is one of the top RBs in the country.

Great news that it sounds like Jones will be eligible. I appreciate all the effort he has put in both with the ACT and his fall academic work at the U and hope to see him hit the field and do well. At the same time, I hope he remembers all the work and commitment that other people have put in to him to get him to this point, and that he stays on the straight and narrow. He still has the spring term between him and next season, so he needs to keep his grades up.

My understanding is that is wasn't about his college grades. It had to do with his bad grades back in 9th and 10th grade. I've heard from parents of college recruits that coach tell kids if you don't have your grades together by junior year of HS it is an uphill battle.

Those that think our RB situation is in trouble if Jones isn't the guy haven't paid attention to Kill coached teams.

Jones seems like a mature young man to me who dug a hole when he was young and has displayed great resolution to work his way out of it. I can't wait to see him in Maroon and Gold. I expect his perseverance will show on the field as well. We should all be proud of his efforts and cheer wildly for his success.

Nice work JJ! Can't wait to see you on the field next year!

Williams is much more likely to get routine carries than Edwards. Edwards has been put in as a change of pace that Williams really isn't (especially with Kirkwood). I'd be very surprised next year if Williams doesn't get a lot more carries than Edwards. Unless there's something else going on behind the scenes with Williams (lack of effort in practice, poor grades, missing class, late to meetings, etc.). I think the starter opening day will be Williams with a healthy dose of Jones and Edwards about the same carries as this year. And depending how Jones does his carries will be adjusted from there (performs well gets more carries; fumbles and missed blocks less carries).

Unless Edwards learns to block and/or catch during the offseason, I just don't see how he can get a lot of meaningful snaps. He can still be the change of pace guy, but it's not like he's lit the place up doing that, either.

This board is hard to figure sometimes. Many folks will write off a QB before he ever takes a snap yet there is some reason that everyone is in love with Berkeley Edwards. Personally, I think he can still have an impact but see no way he will ever get a lot of snaps with our RB roster and offensive scheme. He reminds me if KJ as a Fr RB.

Berkely should take heed of the hard work Cobb did to transform himself into a good player.

If he can learn to be patient and let plays develop and get separation from defenders, the sky has no limits.

Sooner or late, he will spring one when it is least expected.

Unless Jeff upsets the coaches, fails to work hard learning protection, etc, he will be the main guy from day one.

He is a walking highlight reel. Gopher fans will love his style of ruuning from the first game. His athleticism is off the charts. He can catch the ball. He is going to be all over the field making plays.

The next couple years should be exciting on offense. Jones, Maxx, Jones/Woli/Holland/Gentry, Leidner maturing, #41 FB another year in system. Connor Mayes, Pirsig, Hayes maturing even as we lose some key guys on the O line and one of my favorite players, the excellent David Cobb.

Exciting things to look forward to next season. Way to stick in there Jeff!

With the semester being about over right now we should expect to hear fairly soon regarding Jeff's spring practice eligibility status. 2.5 GPA this semester needed to be eligible for the spring I believe.

With the semester being about over right now we should expect to hear fairly soon regarding Jeff's spring practice eligibility status. 2.5 GPA this semester needed to be eligible for the spring I believe.

If deemed eligible, I will be throwing a parade for those interested.

I think that the staff tries to get players into finals that occur early during finals week, if true Coach Kill just might have an early Christmas present, when the team leaves on Christmas Eve.

The Gopher's trump card at RB could very well be Rodney Smith. We've got Jones, Williams, Edwards, and Smith with three verbals.

Hopefully, we are set with the run game.

Roster:
Smith, Rodney, 5-11, 200, SO
Parks, Josh, 5-10,187, SO
Williams Jr., Rodrick, 5-11, 247, SR
Edwards, Berkley 5-9,190, RS SO
Jones, Jeff 6-0, 198, FR
Kirsch, Jacob 5-11, 210, RS JR

Verbals:
Shannon Brooks, 5-11, 196
Jonathan Femi-Cole, 6-0, 220
James Johannesson, 6-1, 210

We should know by Christmas Eve. I don't think I ever didn't know my grades before Christmas and I graduated last may.

We should know by Christmas Eve. I don't think I ever didn't know my grades before Christmas and I graduated last may.
I graduated in 85, grades were to be posted one week after the last final at that time so, different eras.

I graduated in 85, grades were to be posted one week after the last final at that time so, different eras.

I graduated in '90 and I remember having to go to the prof's office to find your grade on a computer print-out sheet using your student ID. Different eras, indeed.

The Gopher's trump card at RB could very well be Rodney Smith. We've got Jones, Williams, Edwards, and Smith with three verbals.

Hopefully, we are set with the run game.

Roster:
Smith, Rodney, 5-11, 200, SO
Parks, Josh, 5-10,187, SO
Williams Jr., Rodrick, 5-11, 247, SR
Edwards, Berkley 5-9,190, RS SO
Jones, Jeff 6-0, 198, FR
Kirsch, Jacob 5-11, 210, RS JR

Verbals:
Shannon Brooks, 5-11, 196
Jonathan Femi-Cole, 6-0, 220
James Johannesson, 6-1, 210

I'm pretty sure Smith will be a RS Freshman...

Top Bottom