All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

I think we should just find someone else. Whether or not this kid plays, I will still show up, drink beer and have fun. I've gotten to the point where I'd rather spend my money watching student/athletes who are legitimate in the classroom and try really hard on the field.

All indications that I have read are that although Jeff may have been a slow starter in taking his academics seriously, he has been putting his nose to the grindstone. I believe with the culture that Kill and staff are cultivating at The "U" and their work on making sure the kids are putting in the work to get to graduation, he'll do just fine as a student at The "U".

All indications that I have read are that although Jeff may have been a slow starter in taking his academics seriously, he has been putting his nose to the grindstone. I believe with the culture that Kill and staff are cultivating at The "U" and their work on making sure the kids are putting in the work to get to graduation, he'll do just fine as a student at The "U".

Can't remember where I heard this (might have been Sid....), but I seem to remember hearing that quite a few Gopher athletes who were considered "borderline" students have actually posted better grades in college than they did in HS. In college, the players have a better, more organized support system, tutors, and more motivation. No one gets a pass the way they might have in HS. So, I would not be surprised if Jones does do better academically in college (assuming he gets into college......................)

cdOiEXS.gif

tumblr_mwgsskUrIg1st18yzo1_500.gif

We may just need an entirely new thread when it becomes 100% official just so everyone can see the news. Until than just except that posters including myself are going to speculate on whether he will redshirt or not and what he needs to do/what clearing house is likely to rule etc. Some of us actually find it very interesting. Tip: Never click on this thread hoping for news if wait what! was the last poster.

Yer right about that - lately it has been to test the mods cause they whacked my ability to post in here - limit it to 1 per day

I think we should just find someone else. Whether or not this kid plays, I will still show up, drink beer and have fun. I've gotten to the point where I'd rather spend my money watching student/athletes who are legitimate in the classroom and try really hard on the field.

If everyone had that attitude another Washburn kid who just anchored a defensive line would've never made it

Can't remember where I heard this (might have been Sid....), but I seem to remember hearing that quite a few Gopher athletes who were considered "borderline" students have actually posted better grades in college than they did in HS. In college, the players have a better, more organized support system, tutors, and more motivation. No one gets a pass the way they might have in HS. So, I would not be surprised if Jones does do better academically in college (assuming he gets into college......................)

I had a 3.5 in college, in High School I had a 2.85, which isn't horrible, but in college after my first semester I decided to try. Guess my point is it's not that uncommon for someone to do better in college, college you can choose your major, electives, for the most part, some kids that just works better for them

I complain about threads all the time, but only when they have nothing to do with the Gophers (usually somebody pushing their 2nd cousin's ex-wife's nephew in Buttplug, ND for a scholarship or some garbage like that). Anyone who would think even for a second that this thread isn't Gophers-related (and in fact, very vital to the Gophers) is clueless.

Yeah, that was me who didn't do that, but you accused me anyway.

It's hilarious to see you tell someone else to ignore things they don't want to read.

On Sid's show today, he asked Kill about Jones, and Kill said it was up to the Clearinghouse. One comment caught my ear - Kill said (not quoting word-for-word) that there were aspects or issues with Jones' eligibility that were somehow different or unusual, and Kill said the Clearinghouse would be taking that into consideration. So, that makes it sound as if the Clearinghouse does have some leeway - or at least will consider mitigating circumstances.

Bottom line - Kill said they still hope to have Jones eligible this fall, but it will probably be at least Aug 1st until they hear something, but could be later. And Kill did not bring up whether they would consider red-shirting Jones.

So, the Jones watch goes on.

Are there any internet-savvy people who can put a ticking clock or timer on this thread?

The rules say that credit recovery and other non traditional classes may be subject to additional review. It's as simple as that, when they reserve the right to do additional review, there's a good chance that they'll use it.

You would think they could rule in time for camp. Most jobs have deadlines you need to meet and that seems to be a good one in this case.

I have long thought that JJ will not RS, but if he ends up missing half of Fall camp while they wait on the clearinghouse then I am going to shift my crystal ball. Come on NCAA - do your job!

You would think they could rule in time for camp. Most jobs have deadlines you need to meet and that seems to be a good one in this case.

I have long thought that JJ will not RS, but if he ends up missing half of Fall camp while they wait on the clearinghouse then I am going to shift my crystal ball. Come on NCAA - do your job!

I agree but it is the NCAA we're talking about. They're probably busy refining their athlete food consumption rules and don't have time for trivial things like player eligibility.

The rules say that credit recovery and other non traditional classes may be subject to additional review. It's as simple as that, when they reserve the right to do additional review, there's a good chance that they'll use it.

So does that mean he got the grades and is waiting on then to be approved?

Or we're throwing his papers up against the wall and hoping that they stick?

That's the million dollar question.

I agree but it is the NCAA we're talking about. They're probably busy refining their athlete food consumption rules and don't have time for trivial things like player eligibility.

Athlete food consumption is a serious issue. Shabazz Napier nearly died of malnutrition.

Yet somehow maintained his 6 foot, 180 pound frame (up 20 pound since senior year of high school), without enough food.

So does that mean he got the grades and is waiting on then to be approved?

Or we're throwing his papers up against the wall and hoping that they stick?

That's the million dollar question.
I think the former! When they caution against using credit recovery classes nothings final until they are approved.

You do know that the problem isn't the NCAA's fault don't you? I want this be resolved also but this is what happens when you are still taking high school courses in July. Jeff is trying to redo what he failed to do his Freshman and Sophomore years. I am not particularly interested in assigning blame but I believe your frustration is being misdirected at the NCAA.

You do know that the problem isn't the NCAA's fault don't you? I want this be resolved also but this is what happens when you are still taking high school courses in July. Jeff is trying to redo what he failed to do his Freshman and Sophomore years. I am not particularly interested in assigning blame but I believe your frustration is being misdirected at the NCAA.

All I'm saying is that it shouldn't be too much to ask to rule by the start of camp. If they rule 'no' I will know where the blame belongs.

If the kid wanted a degree and had a background of people supporting him to prepare for college as a student first, he would not be in this mess and none of us would be wasting our time waiting for this game changer to appear on campus. Frankly, I am of the opinion that he will not see the field much if he does arrive because he will be in Kill's dog house for being such a pain in the posterior due to his failure to clearly qualify. First year, Kill should sit him until he proves he can sustain a GPA above the standard. So, I don't care if he steps on the field of play this year. He should be redshirted and camp next to a tutor. This kid is a risk. We don't know if he will succeed in college. Most students who are near the minimum requirements do not succeed in college. The odds are against him even with help.

I hope he gets in. I hope he succeeds in his academic freshman year. I hope he eventually plays.

HIGH HOPES by Frank Sinatra is very fitting, Deaner!!!

I think the magic 8-ball they use to make their decision broke. Amazon.com is a little behind on their orders so it may be a little bit longer.

I think the magic 8-ball they use to make their decision broke. Amazon.com is a little behind on their orders so it may be a little bit longer.

Thanks GopherInIowa - Given peoples obsession with this topic I believe your comment pretty much sums it up as to what the problem is.

If the kid wanted a degree and had a background of people supporting him to prepare for college as a student first, he would not be in this mess and none of us would be wasting our time waiting for this game changer to appear on campus.

What are you really trying to say?

What are you really trying to say?

I am saying he is coming to the U less prepared than he needs to be and the odds of it being a bumpy ride MAY be a bonafide possibility. But, I am speculating. He could be the next Jessie Owens and be all world and All American. Know what I am saying, Ewe Ewe.

I am saying he is coming to the U less prepared than he needs to be and the odds of it being a bumpy ride MAY be a bonafide possibility. But, I am speculating. He could be the next Jessie Owens and be all world and All American. Know what I am saying, Ewe Ewe.

Wow...back off from your quoted statement much?

"less prepared" vs. "If the kid wanted a degree and had a background of people supporting him" and "wasting our time"

"...he will be in Kill's dog house for being such a pain in the posterior due to his failure to clearly qualify." When did you and coach Kill discuss this? Please elaborate.

If the kid was more prepared in HS than we might not have even gotten him. Michigan and Florida backed off and Bama offering was a legit possibility but why would they when they can get another kid just as good with a 100% chance of qualifying. Didn't he say somewhere that Notre Dame was his dream offer? Just be thankful we landed him and as much as it kills me to say it it seems we can only get superstar players(Jeff, MarQueis, Royce) that have question marks and it may be a while before we can get past the Jeff Jones's and land the Jashon Cornell's of the world. (I think he had like a 3.6 GPA)

If the kid was more prepared in HS than we might not have even gotten him. Michigan and Florida backed off and Bama offering was a legit possibility but why would they when they can get another kid just as good with a 100% chance of qualifying. Didn't he say somewhere that Notre Dame was his dream offer? Just be thankful we landed him and as much as it kills me to say it it seems we can only get superstar players(Jeff, MarQueis, Royce) that have question marks and it may be a while before we can get past the Jeff Jones's and land the Jashon Cornell's of the world. (I think he had like a 3.6 GPA)

Please.

Michigan, Florida, and Alabama as your epitome of academic "purity" as it concerns athletes?

Please.

Michigan, Florida, and Alabama as your epitome of academic "purity" as it concerns athletes?

That is irrelevant. They may lower their admission standards significantly more than most schools but they can still afford to pass on 4 star guys that aren't 100% locks to qualify and its the reason they backed off. Why would they risk waist a scholarship on a guy who might not even make it to campus unless he is a 5 star? For Jeff Jones caliber players they aren't willing to take the risk.

Wow...back off from your quoted statement much?

"less prepared" vs. "If the kid wanted a degree and had a background of people supporting him" and "wasting our time"

"...he will be in Kill's dog house for being such a pain in the posterior due to his failure to clearly qualify." When did you and coach Kill discuss this? Please elaborate.

I know you are on a mission to destroy me. Please feel free to try. Every statement I made today was clearly my opinion. How on earth could it be mistaken as anything else by ewe ewe. Now, act like the sheep you are and get the flock out of my face.

Top Bottom