All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

The kid looks at the names of the schools and disagrees with you.

Prof is on point.

Wisconsin is OUR rival and WE pay a lot of attention to them, the rest of the world does not. The rest of the nation views Wisconsin as a consistently solid program that has produced a large amount of offensive linemen and can run the ball at will against almost anyone.

Michigan, Nebraska, OSU are big ten recruiting schools for RB.

I think you're way, way off here. Just the other night, I spent a couple hours going through the top 300 recruits overall and then the top 300 or so wide receiver recruits for 2014. You would not believe the number of these recruits who currently have or had Wisconsin on their list. It blew me away. Many kids looking at only the top schools in the BCS included Wisconsin on their list. This included kids who play all different positions. You should see the wide receivers Wisconsin has already landed for 2014. At least two 4 star guys. And they've signed at least 4 overall. Wisconsin recruiting far, far exceeds Minnesota and is a school looked at by many of the best players in the country. It's kinda scary to know what they have over there.

Having said all this, I love the Minnesota Golden Gophers and am confident in Jerry Kill and staff. What they accomplished this year is nothing short of amazing. From now on, no matter how far we go, it won't surprise me. They've taken middle-of-the-road recruits and achieved well-above-middle-of-the-road results. Our defense was one of the best in the B1G as evidenced by the Wisconsin and Michigan State games. Kill and company are over-achievers who instill that mentality into their players.

Badger tailbacks have a horrible track record in the NFL. Doesn't matter what kind of success they had in college, from Ron Dayne to Brian Calhoun to John Clay, they all struggle or fail to stick in the league.

Michigan RBs have been pretty awful too. . .
Chris Perry
Tyrone Wheatley
Tim Biakabuka
Anthony Thomas
Mike Hart

Maybe I'm missing some people. . .

I just did a quick search of NFL rosters and Dan Herron was the only Ohio State RB currently in the NFL. Who was the last succeful OSU RB in the NFL? My mind is blanking.

Yep, tOSU running backs haven't been great. George was good.

The kid looks at the names of the schools and disagrees with you.

Prof is on point.

Wisconsin is OUR rival and WE pay a lot of attention to them, the rest of the world does not. The rest of the nation views Wisconsin as a consistently solid program that has produced a large amount of offensive linemen and can run the ball at will against almost anyone.

Michigan, Nebraska, OSU are big ten recruiting schools for RB.

So, the RBs need to be non-local? That's the criteria that we use?

Ok, in the last 5years. . .

Ohio State has landed:
(1) Ezekiel Elliot - 4 star - 6.0
(2) Dontre Wlson - 4 star - 5.9
(3) Carlos Hyde - 4 star - 6.0
(4) Rodrick Smith - 4 star - 5.9
(5) Jamaal Berry - 4 star - 6.0
* Ohio State landed 5 non-local RB recruits, all 4 star recruits (5.96 Rivals Ratings Avg)
Michigan
Derrick Green - 5 star - 6.1
Deveon Smith - 3 star - 5.7
Sione Houme - 3 star - 5.5
Stephen Hopkins - 3 star - 5.5
Fitz Touissant - 4 star - 5.8
*Michigan landed 5 non-local RBs for a 3.6 star avg a 5.7 Ratings Rival Avg.
Wisconsin
Corey Clement - 4 star - 5.8
James White - 3 star - 5.7
Montee Ball - 4 star - 5.8
* Wisconsin landed 3 non-local RBs with a 3.67 star average, 5.8 Rivals Rating

So, as far as recruiting non-local RBs in the last 5 years, Wisconsin and Michigan have done pretty similarly. They've all landed a few more local 4-star RBs, but if the criteria for recruiting factors in whether they are "national recruits" or not, Michigan and WI have been pretty similar over the last 5 years. If you had to draw that line and make a tier (in terms of RBs), Michigan is much closer to WI than it is to Ohio State.

So, the RBs need to be non-local? That's the criteria that we use?

Ok, in the last 5years. . .

Ohio State has landed:
(1) Ezekiel Elliot - 4 star - 6.0
(2) Dontre Wlson - 4 star - 5.9
(3) Carlos Hyde - 4 star - 6.0
(4) Rodrick Smith - 4 star - 5.9
(5) Jamaal Berry - 4 star - 6.0
* Ohio State landed 5 non-local RB recruits, all 4 star recruits (5.96 Rivals Ratings Avg)
Michigan
Derrick Green - 5 star - 6.1
Deveon Smith - 3 star - 5.7
Sione Houme - 3 star - 5.5
Stephen Hopkins - 3 star - 5.5
Fitz Touissant - 4 star - 5.8
*Michigan landed 5 non-local RBs for a 3.6 star avg a 5.7 Ratings Rival Avg.
Wisconsin
Corey Clement - 4 star - 5.8
James White - 3 star - 5.7
Montee Ball - 4 star - 5.8
* Wisconsin landed 3 non-local RBs with a 3.67 star average, 5.8 Rivals Rating

So, as far as recruiting non-local RBs in the last 5 years, Wisconsin and Michigan have done pretty similarly. They've all landed a few more local 4-star RBs, but if the criteria for recruiting factors in whether they are "national recruits" or not, Michigan and WI have been pretty similar over the last 5 years. If you had to draw that line and make a tier (in terms of RBs), Michigan is much closer to WI than it is to Ohio State.

This is getting way too drawn out but I don't quite agree that over a 5 year period one school getting 3 rbs of 4 and 3 star quality is the same as a school pulling in 5 rbs ranging from 5 to 3 stars.

We're likely both wrong and the truth is somewhere in between....

As far as this years recruiting success and some 4* WR going to Wisconsin, Breakthecurse, likely has as much to do with the coaching change as anything else....

Not saying Wisconsin is a bad recruiting team or a bad team or bad anything. They are not a top flight destination for premiere RB recruits. That's a very difficult argument to refute.

Remember when this thread was about Jeff Jones? Neither do I....

Any other schools reportedly still in the mix for Jones other than the Gophers and Iowa State?

Is anybody curious whether Jones' handler Bradley has any influence on his college decision?

Is anybody curious whether Jones' handler Bradley has any influence on his college decision?

This is a huge question mark IMO, especially since Jones' HS coach is very positive on the U of MN, and Bradley and Jenkins are not very freindly.
Honestly I cannot understand how parents or even kids allow this type of thing to happen. Some guy, literally a random guy off the street shows up and starts hanging around your kid and starts helping you and your kid out with their recruitment.
It's creepy, and you HAVE to wonder why this guy is doing this, what's in it for him etc etc.

If Jones or Ragnow do not go to the U, IMO Levi Bradley had plenty to do with it, and his salary should be investigated by the NCAA. I'd bet plenty his organization is dirty.

There have been some rumors that someone is in his ear telling him to look at out of state schools. Whether or not that is true, or if it's Bradley that is the influence, who knows? I just wish the decision was left up to the player and those closest to him (family, HS coaches).

wasnt too familiar with Levi Bradley, but there's a recent article with his involvement with recent recruits. seems pretty shady, but im sure theres plenty of guys like him out there.

http://www.mnfootballhub.com/news_article/show/320725

If Jones or Ragnow do not go to the U, IMO Levi Bradley had plenty to do with it, and his salary should be investigated by the NCAA. I'd bet plenty his organization is dirty.

This is a huge question mark IMO, especially since Jones' HS coach is very positive on the U of MN, and Bradley and Jenkins are not very freindly.
Honestly I cannot understand how parents or even kids allow this type of thing to happen. Some guy, literally a random guy off the street shows up and starts hanging around your kid and starts helping you and your kid out with their recruitment.
It's creepy, and you HAVE to wonder why this guy is doing this, what's in it for him etc etc.

I get the handler thing if there is poor parenting involved or a lack of parenting. I think coaches should fill that role instead of handlers if that is the case, but at least I get it. Otherwise I'm with you. I don't get how parents can let these guys come out of nowhere and get involved with their kids to the degree that they do. I would never trust someone guy to have a better interest than me in my own kid, especially if my kid is a good athlete. These handlers are the worst. The parents should be ashamed, unless the parents or family are getting paid. Then I also understand it if it's for money.

Jenkins was my DC in high school, so if he doesn't like Bradley than that's all I need to know that he's a scumbag, Jenkins is a stand up guy that has all his players best interest at heart, not just the Hagman's, Gilreth's and Jones' of the world

wasnt too familiar with Levi Bradley, but there's a recent article with his involvement with recent recruits. seems pretty shady, but im sure theres plenty of guys like him out there.

http://www.mnfootballhub.com/news_article/show/320725

The article in todays paper really has me questioning these handlers and how they get paid. I cant beleive the NCAA has not started to look into these handlers and how the money flows. All evil is just a flow chart away from where the money flows. and any college or university that has ties to these handlers should get the death penalty

per Shama:

Washburn running back Jeff Jones liked Iowa State running backs coach Kenith Pope who was recruiting him but left the Cyclones staff recently. As a college assistant, Pope was part of staffs that coached legendary running backs Barry Sanders and LaDainian Tomlinson. Jones made an official visit to Iowa State last weekend after previously visiting the Gophers.

Washburn coach Giovan Jenkins told Sports Headliners Jones has improved his ACT score and plans to take the test again to score even higher.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

if you think this player is the Mn version of Brent Moss you get him into the U

Washburn coach Giovan Jenkins told Sports Headliners Jones has improved his ACT score and plans to take the test again to score even higher.

Brent Moss had no business attending a D1 school but it happened.

promises of money and a bright future as a 1st rounder will do this to many

Brent Moss had no business attending a D1 school but it happened.

So he either 1) Has not qualified.
2) Likes taking standardized tests for the fun of it.
3) Just missed on a perfect score and wants to give it the old college try again.

I am not a very patient person. There are some other good running backs that the Gophers are looking at. Do you keep the door open for Jeff the whole way or do you go with options 1b and 1c?

I am not a very patient person. There are some other good running backs that the Gophers are looking at. Do you keep the door open for Jeff the whole way or do you go with options 1b and 1c?

You never close the door on the #1 recruit in your home state, especially in a place like Minnesota where there are few high end prospects every year. But you also keep working on your backup options because there are certainly indications that Jones is headed out of state or possibly facing some academic hurdles.

Not saying you fall in this camp, but just like with the Big 3 in basketball there seem to be people that think you can't recruit the top guys and also recruit backup options which is just crazy because coaches are doing that all the time all over the country.

no way you close the door open for jones, not only is he a top 100 in state player but he plays RB, he is probably the most valuable recruit that we have had in a ver very long time

also i have no doubt that Jeff will be a gopher, we have in the bag, he doesn't really even have any realistic options, MSU is only looking for 2 more recruits and definitely not for one of them to be another RB, Missouri is the exact same way as well, it sounded like he didn't even know if he was going to take an official there, Iowa State i guess is a realistic option for jeff but they just don't worry me one bit, and i am pretty confident that Jeff will qualify academically, its no guarantee but the issues about his grades were more sophmore and junior year

So he either 1) Has not qualified.
2) Likes taking standardized tests for the fun of it.
3) Just missed on a perfect score and wants to give it the old college try again.

Or he is expected to qualify, but it will be very close and a better ACT will give him more breathing room.

Or he is expected to qualify, but it will be very close and a better ACT will give him more breathing room.

when a coach says they need help from admin. this is what they mean.
yes, the 18 yr old from Blaine with a 3.5 gpa and 28 ACT gets declined while a fb player gets w/ACT= 22 is accepted. sux i know. again, brent moss who is now living on the st of WI dole at Waupun Correctional.

per Shama:

Washburn running back Jeff Jones plays in the Under Armour All-America High School Football Game in St. Petersburg on Thursday. Jones hasn’t made all his official visits to colleges that interest him so it’s unlikely he will announce his choice at the prestigious prep all-star game that will be televised on ESPN beginning at 3 p.m. Minneapolis time.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>RB Jeff Jones is the Real McCoy. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Minnesota&src=hash">#Minnesota</a> does not have a guy on their roster like him. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23UAALLAMERICA&src=hash">#UAALLAMERICA</a></p>— Tom Luginbill (@TomLuginbill) <a href="https://twitter.com/TomLuginbill/statuses/417405875435749376">December 29, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I was extremely impressed with <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Minnesota&src=hash">#Minnesota</a> RB commit Jeff Jones today. Complete back with a lot of upside. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23UAAllAmerica&src=hash">#UAAllAmerica</a></p>— Derek Tyson (@DerekTysonESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/DerekTysonESPN/statuses/417411407336861696">December 29, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>From multiple reports I have seen, <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Minnesota&src=hash">#Minnesota</a> commit, MN RB Jeff Jones (<a href="https://twitter.com/WaveyJJ_10">@WaveyJJ_10</a>) is having a big day at the 1st Under Armour practice</p>— Brice Marich (@BriceMarich) <a href="https://twitter.com/BriceMarich/statuses/417409594961326080">December 29, 2013</a></blockquote>

Hopefully he gets the most carries of any RB on his team in the game, hoping for at least 15 carries, that would be nice, and like I've said before it sure looks like he will get major carries and start right away next year

Top Bottom