All Things RB Jeffrey Jones Thread

I'd be curious to see who his friends in high school and afterwards were/are. The old adage "Show me your friends and I'll show you your future" is often accurate.

Always liked the quote that you are the average of the 5 people you are with most. Also often very true.

Don't want to be that guy, but...my wife's co-worker just lost her grandmother at 95. She never knew her father, her mother died when she was an infant. Grandma raised her. She is one of the most-together, brightest, hardest working person I have ever met. If 50% of the people on earth were half the person she is, the world would be a better place.

It goes both ways. I have a nephew that's a giant piece of poop. His mother decided she didn't want him, so she just dumped him off with his grandmother. She did everything for him, but it didn't matter because he decided if he wasn't good enough for his parents, what was the point of even trying. Everyone is different though, so I probably shouldn't have made and assumption as to how Jones got down this path. Either way, it's a waste and at some point it's up to you how you choose to live your life. He obviously chose poorly.

It goes both ways. I have a nephew that's a giant piece of poop. His mother decided she didn't want him, so she just dumped him off with his grandmother. She did everything for him, but it didn't matter because he decided if he wasn't good enough for his parents, what was the point of even trying. Everyone is different though, so I probably shouldn't have made and assumption as to how Jones got down this path. Either way, it's a waste and at some point it's up to you how you choose to live your life. He obviously chose poorly.

+1, I have someone like this in my family as well. It's hard to judge someone without really knowing what they've been through, but I'm guessing it's not easy being 10 or 12 years old and not having a mom or dad. Maybe even more so in an affluent area where your peers are more likely to come from homes with both parents, a sibling or two and a golden retriever. Sure, some people can rise above that, but without looking it up I'd be willing to bet everything I have that instances of crime/drug use/mental health issues/etc are higher in individuals raised by someone other than their parents. As far as we know, JJ hasn't harmed anyone on a criminal level. Strictly mala prohibita. He's thrown away his meal ticket, but there's no reason to say he's beyond help. I for one won't bash him for not being the savior of Gopher football we all wanted him to be, and instead just hope he can turn his life around.

Always liked the quote that you are the average of the 5 people you are with most. Also often very true.

Agreed, but it's also true birds of a feather flock together. What came first, the chicken or the egg? Most of us probably know good parents with "bad seed". I know one in particular I won't be surprised to see on the national news some day.

Life is a video game, you only get a set amount of skill points. JJ used all of his in the physical skills....

per Shama:

Jeff Jones, the 2013 prep Mr. Football in Minnesota and ex-Gopher running back and wide receiver, is headed to Fullerton College, a California community college, according to Giovan Jenkins who was his head coach at Washburn High School. Jenkins told Sports Headliners he spoke to Jones recently about his plan.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Jeff Jones, the 2013 prep Mr. Football in Minnesota and ex-Gopher running back and wide receiver, is headed to Fullerton College, a California community college, according to Giovan Jenkins who was his head coach at Washburn High School. Jenkins told Sports Headliners he spoke to Jones recently about his plan.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Here is hoping he can turn it all around and make better choices.

Committed to Waldorf which is NAIA.

So if my memory serves correctly, Jeff has spent time at Minnesota, Iowa Western CC, Garden City CC, Fullerton CC, Independence CC and now Waldorf. I think he might have been committed or enrolled at Ellsworth CC too but I can't remember.

So if my memory serves correctly, Jeff has spent time at Minnesota, Iowa Western CC, Garden City CC, Fullerton CC, Independence CC and now Waldorf. I think he might have been committed or enrolled at Ellsworth CC too but I can't remember.

Hmm, Div III teams can't offer scholarships. So, is he posting a recruiting violation?

You are correct. Many of those schools though he never played a snap. He committed and then a month or two later something happened etc.

Man, I was so pumped when he committed. I hope he can find a good path in life.

What is he, about 45 years old by now? Seems like forever ago.

So does he still have 4 years of eligibility left? Two years at Waldorf and then somewhere else for two years?

I think he has to go NAIA because they use a different clock than the NCAA.

So does he still have 4 years of eligibility left? Two years at Waldorf and then somewhere else for two years?

I don't think he has any years of eligibility left with the NCAA unless he were granted a 6th year like OJ and Rodney as they were in the same class.

NAIA rules are probably different.

I don't think he has any years of eligibility left with the NCAA unless he were granted a 6th year like OJ and Rodney as they were in the same class.

NAIA rules are probably different.

Seasons of Competition

Students are charged seasons for competing at the collegiate level or for any elite outside competition that takes place a year after high school graduation in a year when you're not participating in college sports. NAIA students are allowed a maximum of 4 seasons of competition in a single sport. https://www.playnaia.org/page/transfers.php

Wouldn't think he would have much left.

Movie Script

Man, I was so pumped when he committed. I hope he can find a good path in life.

If he did stick with this team, excel, get an NFL tryout, make a roster...

It would be a movie script for the ages. Blessings to you Jeff.

I am cheering for him to be successful on / off the field. He keeps trying so maybe he will get his life moving forward in a positive direction.

per Joe:

Three years after leaving the Gophers football team, former Minneapolis Washburn standout Jeff Jones is attempting a comeback, this time at Waldorf University in Forest City, Iowa.

Jones, 23, signed his national letter of intent Wednesday, and Waldorf’s football team announced the news on Twitter. The team plays at the NAIA level.

Jones was one of the highest-rated recruits in Gophers history when he signed with them after earning MVP honors at the Under Armour All-American Game in 2014.

He was academically ineligible that fall and wound up playing in just three games for Minnesota, all in 2015, before transferring to Iowa Western Community College. In May 2016, Jones was charged with felony drug possession after being pulled over in Bloomington with a firearm in the vehicle.

On Wednesday, Jones posted the Waldorf announcement on Twitter, adding, “Prayed for an opportunity and he delivered forever grateful.”

http://www.startribune.com/former-g...pting-football-comeback-at-waldorf/505464222/

Go Gophers!!

per Joe:

Three years after leaving the Gophers football team, former Minneapolis Washburn standout Jeff Jones is attempting a comeback, this time at Waldorf University in Forest City, Iowa.

Jones, 23, signed his national letter of intent Wednesday, and Waldorf’s football team announced the news on Twitter. The team plays at the NAIA level.

Jones was one of the highest-rated recruits in Gophers history when he signed with them after earning MVP honors at the Under Armour All-American Game in 2014.

He was academically ineligible that fall and wound up playing in just three games for Minnesota, all in 2015, before transferring to Iowa Western Community College. In May 2016, Jones was charged with felony drug possession after being pulled over in Bloomington with a firearm in the vehicle.

On Wednesday, Jones posted the Waldorf announcement on Twitter, adding, “Prayed for an opportunity and he delivered forever grateful.”

http://www.startribune.com/former-g...pting-football-comeback-at-waldorf/505464222/

Go Gophers!!

Based on that, I think he still has three years of eligibility? The NAIA only counts semesters/seasons in school, no running clock. It was a little unclear with transfers (at least I didn't see enough detail to figure it out).

Top Bottom