Kentucky starting 5 declare for NBA draft

mnsports255

Banned
Reaction score
Topic Questions...

1) Is anyone suprised?

2) Did Marquis Teague make the right decision for his pro-basketball future? The draft in 2013 is weaker and instead of being a borderline late first round pick, he could improve his stock to mid first-rounder next year and make a boatload of guarenteed money.

3) How will the Wildcats be next year? They suffered a huge hit when losing their best 6 players. But with Kyle Wiltjer returing and Nerlens Noel, Shaq Goodwin, Alex Poythress, and Will Cauley coming in, they look to be in for another elite eight go around. Is a final four run stretching it?

Prediction- Kentucky goes 13-3 in SEC play, they win the SEC tournament, and lose in the Elite 8. Predictions?

Hey - Joe (Bracketology) has us playing Kentucky in the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney next year. Maybe with these 5 gone we have a chance now! LOL

I could be wrong but isn't Shaq Goodwin going to Memphis? Also what's up with Willie Cauley not getting a KU offer?

I've seen various early preseason rankings with Kentucky very high, led by cbssportsline placing Kentucky at #1. I have a tough time seeing it. Bringing in five new starters (except for their sophomore Witjers) is expecting an awful lot. People may say that Kentucky does this every year, but at least this last year they had three returnees (Miller, Jones, and Lamb) to mesh with their freshman. While the hype on Noels is that he's even a more intimidating defender than Davis, I would think at best Noels would have a similar season to Davis on the defensive end, while it doesn't sound that he's as developed offensively. I also wonder if amongst the other new recruits there is a guy as good as Kidd-Gilchrist who I think got a little overlooked this year because of Davis, but looked incredible every time I saw Kentucky (a limited sample size, admittedly). Finally, I also wonder about their transfer from NC State, Ryan Harrow. While he had a solid freshman season at NC State, it wasn't along the lines of Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans, John Wall, Brandon Knight, Marquis Teague. Is he a point guard that elevates his team? I wonder. Elite Eight sounds about right at this point for Kentucky, but they're just such an unknown commodity to predict much more, in my mind.

Kentucky

Davis will go 1, Gilchrist predicted 2nd. I'm not sure I'd take him that high. T. Jones 8-14 range. I have no issue with these 3. teague is probably making a mistake, might slip to second round, while if he returned, your right 2013 looks less stacked. Lamb could have really secured a first round if he returned.

Topic Questions...

1) Is anyone suprised?

2) Did Marquis Teague make the right decision for his pro-basketball future? The draft in 2013 is weaker and instead of being a borderline late first round pick, he could improve his stock to mid first-rounder next year and make a boatload of guarenteed money.

3) How will the Wildcats be next year? They suffered a huge hit when losing their best 6 players. But with Kyle Wiltjer returing and Nerlens Noel, Shaq Goodwin, Alex Poythress, and Will Cauley coming in, they look to be in for another elite eight go around. Is a final four run stretching it?

Prediction- Kentucky goes 13-3 in SEC play, they win the SEC tournament, and lose in the Elite 8. Predictions?

Davis will go 1, Gilchrist predicted 2nd. I'm not sure I'd take him that high. T. Jones 8-14 range. I have no issue with these 3. teague is probably making a mistake, might slip to second round, while if he returned, your right 2013 looks less stacked. Lamb could have really secured a first round if he returned.

I think Teague should come back but he can score. He's not flashy but he's tough and I would expect him to go first round but late. Lamb comes from a really poor family and he shoots way to good to not land a contract even if he goes 2nd round so I don't blame him. Yes UK had 5 first round picks after Cal's first year, Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Orton, Patterson. I don't see how all 6 go in the first round but you never know.

This NBA draft is pretty weak at the point guard spot which is why Teague is going into the draft. The position really lacks a top player which could bump up some of the players like Marshall, Dilliard, and Teague who would be mid to late first round picks into mid first rounders.

The thing I am looking at is any of these guys actually helping their game by leaving early? I dont think anyone can say they are going to become better players by going into the NBA they are going to hit some money but its not going to make them better players. I think Lamb is insane for leaving early developing his all around game should be a priority and as of now he will be lucky to be a shooter off the bench. Teague has some great skills but he isnt on the level of past Calipari point guards. I do think Davis and Jones are probably making the right choice Davis will be the top pick and Jones may find his way into the late lottery but just how high can he climb next year? He is a tweener stuck without a natural position. Kidd Gilchrist is going to be a top 3 pick so for him to leave its never a bad move but he could have a shot at the top pick next year with a better jump shot.

has a team ever had 5 players drafted in the same year?

Yes, Kentucky did in 2009 (Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Patterson and Orton were all first round picks)

As for this year, Calipari thinks all of his top 6 guys (the starting 5 plus Darius Miller) will be first round picks. That means in 3 years at Kentucky, he will have 15 players drafted to the NBA (those 11 plus Knight, Harrellson, Liggins and Kanter).

We are witnessing the most dominant era of college basketball since the Wooden Era

Yes, Kentucky did in 2009 (Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Patterson and Orton were all first round picks)

2010, actually.

As for this year, Calipari thinks all of his top 6 guys (the starting 5 plus Darius Miller) will be first round picks.

It could happen, but I don't think it will.

We are witnessing the most dominant era of college basketball since the Wooden Era

Settle down. UCLA won 9 straight national titles, and 10 in 11 years. Kentucky just won its first in 16 years. And, aside from that ridiculous comparison, there have been many runs better than the one Kentucky is now on (Duke going to 5 straight Final Fours and 7 FF in 9 years, for example) since the Wooden era.

2010, actually.

It could happen, but I don't think it will.

Settle down. UCLA won 9 straight national titles, and 10 in 11 years. Kentucky just won its first in 16 years. And, aside from that ridiculous comparison, there have been many runs better than the one Kentucky is now on (Duke going to 5 straight Final Fours and 7 FF in 9 years, for example) since the Wooden era.

You are right, my bad I meant the 2009-2010 season. I do think that the era that these Kentucky teams (as well as the 1996 Kentucky team) are in is completely different from the era that those Duke teams were in, the reason being that after 1995, underclassmen (and even high schoolers) were starting to jump to the NBA at a much higher rate. Coach K did not have that factor during his run of the late 80's/early 90's and neither did Wooden (honestly, would Lew Alcindor or Bill Walton stay in school for 3+ years in today's game? Hell no). The fact that Calipari has had to turn over his roster (and will continue to do so) every year in his tenure at Kentucky and still dominate not only the SEC, but the national landscape is mind boggling to me. The fact that they will be losing the top 6 guys off a 38-2 national championship team and still be preseason top 5 says it all.

Yep.. looks like the OP meant Archie Goodwin... not too bad, either.

Yep I should have put that one together myself... I never got a chance to see that kid, but the guy who owns the AAU organization I work for says that kid was almost always the most impressive player at every tourny he was at.

Dpodoll already addressed this pretty well, but to call Kentucky's recent run the most dominating stretch since UCLA is straight up hyperbole, as is saying that this year's Kentucky squad was the best team over the last 15 years. A few teams that stack up pretty well vs. 2012 Kentucky:

2009 North Carolina (Hansbrough, Lawson, Danny Green, Ed Davis, Ellington, Deon Thompson) Swept through the NCAA tournament in dominate fashion, winning all six games by double digits and absolutely throttling Michigan St. in the national championship game.

2006-07 Florida (Noah, Horford, Brewer, Green, Humphrey, Richard) Back to back national championships, particularly the second year they seemed to be men amongst boys.

2005 North Carolina (Sean May, Ray Felton, Rashad McCants, Marvin Williams, Jawad Williams) Beat a great Illinois team (Deron Williams, Dee Brown, Luther Head, Augustine, Powell) for national championship, had four players drafted in lottery.

2004 UConn (Emeka Okafor, Ben Gordon, C. Villanueva, Taliek & Denham Brown, Rashad Anderson). This roster produced six #1 NBA draft picks, some of whom played few minutes this year because of the dominant upperclassmen ahead of them. Except for a tight national semifinal against Duke, they toyed with the rest of their opponents in the NCAA tourney.

2001 Duke (Battier, Jay Williams, Boozer, Dunleavy Jr, Nate James, Duhon) While it pains me to say it, probably the best team in my estimation over the last 15 years of college basketball (and Coach K's last dominant Dukie squad). Won all tournament games by double figures.

I think anyone has to concede that Calipari has figured out how to win in the modern game better than any of his contemporaries. However, to say that what he's done (replenishing year after year) is more difficult than what a Coach K or Knight or whoever else you want to throw out there for conversation from a bygone era has to consider the argument in the context of the times. If Calipari was replenishing every year while the other premier programs were stacked with upperclassmen, I'd certainly agree, but every other premier program is watching freshman and sophomores declare press conferences as they sprint towards the NBA. While Coach K might have had the benefit of developing those veteran teams, he was also taking on squads who were equally veteran. Calipari will likely never beat as talented of a team as K did vs. Larry Johnson, Augmon, Anthony, Hunt, et al. in 1991. The game has changed, for everyone.

coolhandgopher said:
Dpodoll already addressed this pretty well, but to call Kentucky's recent run the most dominating stretch since UCLA is straight up hyperbole, as is saying that this year's Kentucky squad was the best team over the last 15 years. A few teams that stack up pretty well vs. 2012 Kentucky:

2009 North Carolina (Hansbrough, Lawson, Danny Green, Ed Davis, Ellington, Deon Thompson) Swept through the NCAA tournament in dominate fashion, winning all six games by double digits and absolutely throttling Michigan St. in the national championship game.

2006-07 Florida (Noah, Horford, Brewer, Green, Humphrey, Richard) Back to back national championships, particularly the second year they seemed to be men amongst boys.

2005 North Carolina (Sean May, Ray Felton, Rashad McCants, Marvin Williams, Jawad Williams) Beat a great Illinois team (Deron Williams, Dee Brown, Luther Head, Augustine, Powell) for national championship, had four players drafted in lottery.

2004 UConn (Emeka Okafor, Ben Gordon, C. Villanueva, Taliek & Denham Brown, Rashad Anderson). This roster produced six #1 NBA draft picks, some of whom played few minutes this year because of the dominant upperclassmen ahead of them. Except for a tight national semifinal against Duke, they toyed with the rest of their opponents in the NCAA tourney.

2001 Duke (Battier, Jay Williams, Boozer, Dunleavy Jr, Nate James, Duhon) While it pains me to say it, probably the best team in my estimation over the last 15 years of college basketball (and Coach K's last dominant Dukie squad). Won all tournament games by double figures.

I think anyone has to concede that Calipari has figured out how to win in the modern game better than any of his contemporaries. However, to say that what he's done (replenishing year after year) is more difficult than what a Coach K or Knight or whoever else you want to throw out there for conversation from a bygone era has to consider the argument in the context of the times. If Calipari was replenishing every year while the other premier programs were stacked with upperclassmen, I'd certainly agree, but every other premier program is watching freshman and sophomores declare press conferences as they sprint towards the NBA. While Coach K might have had the benefit of developing those veteran teams, he was also taking on squads who were equally veteran. Calipari will likely never beat as talented of a team as K did vs. Larry Johnson, Augmon, Anthony, Hunt, et al. in 1991. The game has changed, for everyone.

Agreed. Excellent point. There have been some pretty great teams in the past. Those Duke and UNC teams were incredible.

I wouldn't classify this Ky. team as a juggernaut, they seemed to lack the ability to
really go for the kill when they got teams down early. But they are better than the 5 teams you mention, because they had a defensive component that the others
lacked. And not just Davis' shot blocking. This team played shut down defense, as a team, when it had to, like none of the 5 you cite. It would be able to match any
of the others in offensive production, but none of them could match it for
sheer defensive lockdown capability.

I wouldn't classify this Ky. team as a juggernaut, they seemed to lack the ability to
really go for the kill when they got teams down early. But they are better than the 5 teams you mention, because they had a defensive component that the others
lacked. And not just Davis' shot blocking. This team played shut down defense, as a team, when it had to, like none of the 5 you cite. It would be able to match any
of the others in offensive production, but none of them could match it for
sheer defensive lockdown capability.

I disagree. The 2006-07 Florida team
in particular had 3 elite defenders (Noah, Horford, and Brewer)
and they would certainly give this Kentucky team
everything it could handle. It's a moot point anyway because these teams will
never face each either so it's all based
on opinion and speculation.

I see that you still haven't figured
out how to use this forum
properly. Then again, I don't
give you much (or any) credit
for your brain power.

Again, dpodoll addresses this quite aptly, but I think it is folly to talk with any certainty of teams from various years being definitively better or worse than one another, especially when we talk of these caliber of teams. Of course Kentucky and their defensive aptitude remain freshest in the mind, but I recall that UConn squad being awfully stingy, along with Florida (at least on this list). Plus, Kentucky never faced a caliber of point guards like Jay Williams, Ray Felton, or Ty Lawson nor frontlines like Florida, UNC, and UConn.

I disagree. The 2006-07 Florida team
in particular had 3 elite defenders (Noah, Horford, and Brewer)
and they would certainly give this Kentucky team
everything it could handle. It's a moot point anyway because these teams will
never face each either so it's all based
on opinion and speculation.

I see that you still haven't figured
out how to use this forum
properly. Then again, I don't
give you much (or any) credit
for your brain power.

That Florida group was a good group. And like this Ky. bunch played unselfishly.
But they were a BIG notch below this Ky. team in defensive ability. Not to mention
that that was 3 standout defenders verus 6. The UNC team, while it did have a talented front line, was basically unaquainted with the concept
of defense. It was nearly as good as this year's UNC front court on defense.

Again, dpodoll addresses this quite aptly, but I think it is folly to talk with any certainty of teams from various years being definitively better or worse than one another, especially when we talk of these caliber of teams. Of course Kentucky and their defensive aptitude remain freshest in the mind, but I recall that UConn squad being awfully stingy, along with Florida (at least on this list). Plus, Kentucky never faced a caliber of point guards like Jay Williams, Ray Felton, or Ty Lawson nor frontlines like Florida, UNC, and UConn.

No one seems to remark on the irony that going in to, and for much of
the early part of the 10-11 season, the consensus for UNC was that it's
point guard play was killing it. Lawson provided competent play later in
the season and in to March, and suddenly became an All-American.
Don't believe I can include him in the company of Williams, or even Felton.

That Florida group was a good group. And like this Ky. bunch played unselfishly.
But they were a BIG notch below this Ky. team in defensive ability. Not to mention
that that was 3 standout defenders verus 6. The UNC team, while it did have a talented front line, was basically unaquainted with the concept
of defense. It was nearly as good as this year's UNC front court on defense.

That should read '09 UNC wasN'T nearly as good as this year's UNC defense.

Top Bottom