UPDATED (6/6): Jarrod Uthoff to transfer to Iowa, staying in B1G, pulling a Sam Okey

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
Pretty much came out of left field. Lots of Badger fans are pretty disappointed by this. Sounds like the kid is homesick and wants to go back to Iowa. Problem is that Bo/UW are attempting to put some pretty serious transfer restrictions in place so he can't go back to Iowa. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I don't think Uthoff's decision impacts Lockett at all. UW already had a scholarship available if Trent wanted to be a Badger, and Uthoff leaving doesn't really open up much playing time for the one season Trent has left. UW's three primary frontcourt players from last year are all back, and they are adding a guy who will likely earn significant minutes next season. Uthoff's time was still probably a season away, but it's reasonable to think he would have been a 3-year starter after that. I think it's a big loss for the program, as the staff's comment make it clear they thought very highly of him, and because this completely surprised everyone. One post had him playing pick-up with the team yesterday, then the news broke last night. UW will be rather thin in the frontcourt after Bruesewitz, Evans and Berggren are done.

Regarding the restrictions, I will be curious to hear where UW does not want him to go. He can't go to another Big 10 school unless he wants to pay his own way, so I would guess he ends up at UNI, where I think two former AAU teammates are. Seems like a weird decision and it sucks for the UW program, but best of luck to Jarrod.

I believe Brust was released from his LOI when Lickliter got ousted. Don't quote me on it though.

Ryan's a class act isn't he?

Hahaha, are you seriously mad at Bo for keeping a kid transferring to a school Wisconsin will play every year? Iowa State is on the list because we are in a couple recruiting battles with them and Bo doesn't want a guy there to talk about why they left Wisconsin for ISU. Pretty standard stuff here tap.

Hahaha, are you seriously mad at Bo for keeping a kid transferring to a school Wisconsin will play every year? Iowa State is on the list because we are in a couple recruiting battles with them and Bo doesn't want a guy there to talk about why they left Wisconsin for ISU. Pretty standard stuff here tap.

Wow quite defensive, eh? A Gopher fan complements your coach, calls him a class act and you get all defensive? Sheesh, a bit of insecurity I see.

Mad? Who said I was mad. Can't be mad at someone I don't give a --it about.

Ryan's a class act isn't he?

Seems petty and vindictive to me, I can understand the B1G restriction but why would you care about anybody else one way or the other.

One Badger poster mentioned recruiting, but if you can't win a recruiting battle on merits you probably aren't going to win anyway.

Seems petty and vindictive to me, I can understand the B1G restriction but why would you care about anybody else one way or the other.

One Badger poster mentioned recruiting, but if you can't win a recruiting battle on merits you probably aren't going to win anyway.

I think the whole Marquette thing is obvious...in state rival...play each other every year...that whole thing.

As far as recruiting goes, I understand what you are trying to say, but having an ex-player at ISU telling these kids "yeah I was at Wisconsin, Bo was my coach, it just wasn't for me and here's why ISU is a better option," or some variation of that, is an unnecessary hurdle to overcome.

Reading comprehension is hard. :(

Awwww...is someone a bit confused?

Situation one: Guy claims he doesn't care about Bo Ryan, but takes the time to write about him

vs...

Situation two: Guy writes about Minnesota, but his level of "caring" about the subject is never addressed.

You see, when someone takes the time to write about a subject, the act of doing so in and of itself implies that he cares about said subject. So, when presented with a post from an individual saying "I don't give two-sh*ts" about Bo Ryan, I was naturally confused by the blatant contradiction between his message and his actions.

How is that situation comparable, or even relevant, to me posting about the Minnesota Gophers? Think hard about this one. Logic is clearly not your strong suit, so let me know if you need me to break it down a bit more for you.

Awwww...is someone a bit confused?

Situation one: Guy claims he doesn't care about Bo Ryan, but takes the time to write about him

vs...

Situation two: Guy writes about Minnesota, but his level of "caring" about the subject is never addressed.

You see, when someone takes the time to write about a subject, the act of doing so in and of itself implies that he cares about said subject. So, when presented with a post from an individual saying "I don't give two-sh*ts" about Bo Ryan, I was naturally confused by the blatant contradiction between his message and his actions.

How is that situation comparable, or even relevant, to me posting about the Minnesota Gophers? Think hard about this one. Logic is clearly not your strong suit, so let me know if you need me to break it down a bit more for you.

It means you obviously care about the Gophers ... If posting about Bo Ryan means poster A cares about Bo Ryan, poster B posting about Minnesota means poster B cares about Minnesota.

It means you obviously care about the Gophers ... If posting about Bo Ryan means poster A cares about Bo Ryan, poster B posting about Minnesota means poster B cares about Minnesota.

Correct. I do care about the Gophers. I never said that I didn't. I'm simply trying understand the relevance of what MinneStoa posted.

The situation unfolded like this:
I asked tap why he posted about Bo Ryan if he didn't care about him, because the act of posting about Bo shows that he in fact does care about Bo.

MinneStoa then said, "probably the same reason you peruse a Gopher forum looking to pick fights."

I responded by saying "What?" to indicate my confusion, because the reasons that I peruse a Gopher forum have absolutely nothing to do with the reason why a person who doesn't care about a subject would take the time to write about said subject.

Logical breakdown

Situation 1
Detail 1: Guy says he doesn't care about Bo Ryan. Detail 2: Guy writes about Bo Ryan. Logical Conclusion: Contradiction between message and actions

Situation 2
Detail 1:Guy cares about Gophers. Detail 2: Guy posts about Gophers. Logical Conclusion: Message and action align

How are these two situations comparable?

Logical breakdown

Situation 1
Detail 1: Guy says he doesn't care about Bo Ryan. Detail 2: Guy writes about Bo Ryan. Logical Conclusion: Contradiction between message and actions

Posting on a message board is akin to making a remark at a cocktail party. The effort involved to post that comment is just slightly more arduous than making a remark in passing. It does not indicate a level of "caring".

I do care about the Gophers. I never said that I didn't.

Oh, really? How about you run a little logical exercise on the above quote with the quote below?

Basketball season's going well for you guys huh? I was fortunate enough to be at the Barn during the Indiana game on Sunday. That was....funny. You ready to watch the Gophers get that ass waxed again by the boys in red tomorrow?

oD6zN.gif

Posting on a message board is akin to making a remark at a cocktail party. The effort involved to post that comment is just slightly more arduous than making a remark in passing. It does not indicate a level of "caring".

Oh, really? How about you run a little logical exercise on the above quote with the quote below?

oD6zN.gif

1) Love that GIF.

2) He posted twice. He was also the one who brought Bo Ryan into the discussion. Regardless, the point is he cares, if only it is a little bit.

3) When I say I care about the Gophers, that doesn't mean that I like them or want them to succeed. To care is to have an interest. I have an interest in the Gophers because they are the rival of Wisconsin. Therefore I care about the Gophers. So how is what I've posted in any way false or illogical?

I don't think anyone cares about the grinch until game day and we play them and then we care because he annoys the hell out of everyone when he complains about every call, even the most obvious stuff. Hard not to care when you are forced to sit through his grade school tirades.

Apparently the national media isn't too happy with Bo. I wonder if THIS will hurt recruiting Badger2010?

“@JayBilas: NCAA says athletes just like any other student. But, only athlete transfers are BLOCKED. http://t.co/8mafVo1d Avocation? No way. Outrageous.”

“@SethDavisHoops: Another ridiculous power play by coach restricting player's ability to transfer. This time it's Bo Ryan.(h/t @jaybilas) http://t.co/LIqc2ZHE”

Bo Ryan has now added the entire ACC conference to go along with his restricted list. This is in addition to the Big10 conference, Iowa State, and Marquette.

So any WI fans want to try to defend Ryan blocking him from going to any ACC school? Keep a kid out of an entire conference for fear of facing him once in 3 years? lol

Wisconsin Coach Bo Ryan has added the entire Atlantic Coast Conference to the list of schools that are not allowed to contact Jarrod Uthoff about joining their program.

"I just got an e-mail about it today from Wisconsin's compliance office," Uthoff told the Metro Sports Report Monday night. "I didn't see it coming."

Uthoff informed Ryan last week that he planned to leave the Badgers after one year and transfer to another college. Since then, Ryan has put the entire Big Ten, the entire ACC, Iowa State and Marquette on the "restricted" list of schools that are not allowed to contact the 6-foot-8 forward.

Uthoff starred at Cedar Rapids Jefferson and was Iowa's "Mr. Basketball" in 2011. He was redshirted at Wisconsin this season as a freshman and appeared to figure prominently in the team's future, but said he didn't feel comfortable in Wisconsin's offense and is looking for a better fit.

According to NCAA rules, colleges that want to speak to transfer students must get permission from the athlete's current school. If permission is not granted, colleges are not supposed to contact the athlete directly. It also makes the athlete ineligible for a scholarship if he transfers to that school.

Uthoff said the University of Virginia (an ACC school coached by former Wisconsin assistant Tony Bennett) sought permission from Wisconsin to contact him. As a result, Ryan added Virginia and all the other ACC schools to the no-contact list.

Uthoff said he doesn't know why Ryan has placed so many schools on the restricted list. "You have a better guess than I do," he said. "I'm not really sure."

Top Bottom