Sad News - UPDATED: Kill, Gray and U Chief of Police to address media at 2pm

+1. I'm also hoping this coming season that there be some recognition of him- a 51 sticker on the helmet/uniform and maybe a moment of silence.

Still just in utter shock.

Certainly there will be.

When the new uniforms were revealed, the GopherFB twitter account asked fans what jersey number they were planning to buy when the new jersey style goes on sale. A #51 jersey being sold would be a classy move, IMO

RIP Gary Tinsley.

I absolutely loved watching him play, he represented the Maroon and Gold very well.

Like everyone, GT made his mistakes, but the fact that he used them as life lessons and became a better person is what I will always remember him for. He without a doubt made the world a better place with his positive outlook on life.

Something grassroots is key here, I think we want to show the team and the Tinsley's that being a Gopher is for life, and that we care about our own.

RIP Gary, Tragic loss to the Gopher Program, friends and family. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those lives you've touched in your time with us.

I'm willing to do some legwork here if we as a group can agree on what to do. I'd like it to be Gopherhole sanctioned, and we could get it out on the blogs too, a la MV's 'Stroke the Post' t-shirts.

I don't have the slightest idea on how to get anything like this up and running. But with some guidance, I'll be more than happy to help.

I don't have the slightest idea on how to get anything like this up and running. But with some guidance, I'll be more than happy to help.

I think the first thing to do is to have someone close to GT's family find out if they would be okay with our ragtag group putting together a charity donation in his name, and find out what charity might be preferred. Don't want to step on family toes if they have preferences or don't want to broadcast the tragedy any more than it is.

Anybody out there close to or know GT's friends or fam? GopherLady?

Sad, sad, sad! RIP Gary . . . thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, coaches, and teammates.

Thanks for posting those presser minutes GopherLady - appreciate that.

What a horrible tragedy. Maybe we Gopherholers could round up $$ for some charity donation in his and his family's name, print up #51 shirts with proceeds going to scholarship at the U, etc.?

In honor of Gary

+51

Just shot out a tweet to MarQueis to see if team would have any qualms with Gopherhole members putting together some kind of charitable donation in GT and his family's name (after the grief settles some). We'll see if he get's back to me.

Rest in peace Tinsley..He played hard every play and came a long way since he was a freshman. I was my favorite play on the defense last year and I really enjoyed seeing him play. I think he would have made an NFL roster. Just tragic, prayers to his family.

I don't mean to be a downer here

but the shirt tribute idea should maybe wait a little bit. I think its a great idea and I will participate but its only been about 8 hours since his passing. I think we should probably hold off on the messages to family and friends/teammates and let them morn. I'm sure we have all been in this situation and can understand where I'm coming from.
IMO

but the shirt tribute idea should maybe wait a little bit. I think its a great idea and I will participate but its only been about 8 hours since his passing. I think we should probably hold off on the messages to family and friends/teammates and let them morn. I'm sure we have all been in this situation and can understand where I'm coming from.
IMO

No, you're absolutely right (and I said as much in previous posts). Grief definitely needs to settle for family and teammates. I was just gaging interest more than anything, as I just feel the need to do something down the line. Hold on to that passion everyone, we'll get something figured out no sooner than is deemed appropriate.

Tragic. He was the defensive rock for this team. At least he was able to win his final game at the university. Today, and for many days to come, gopher nation bleeds maroon and gold for you, Gary. R.I.P.

Oh, and I love the t-shirt idea. I would buy one no matter the price.

I figured that since he was his roommate in that Star Tribune article last fall, but thought maybe he had more than one. How awful for him.

First off, tragic day for Gary Tinsley. He was so young and had so much to look forward to.
Second, sad day for the Tinsley family and all of his friends.
Last, it's a sad day for Gopher nation, he was "one of us".

I'd love to buy a teeshirt and if it's possible if we could get some sort of quick fundraiser going, i'd love to help pay for funeral expenses. I know when someone passes at a young age, there is no planning, and all of that stuff really adds up. If it's possible for us to take that one burden off the Tinsley family (burying their son), i'd love to help if I can.

First off, tragic day for Gary Tinsley. He was so young and had so much to look forward to.
Second, sad day for the Tinsley family and all of his friends.
Last, it's a sad day for Gopher nation, he was "one of us".

I'd love to buy a teeshirt and if it's possible if we could get some sort of quick fundraiser going, i'd love to help pay for funeral expenses. I know when someone passes at a young age, there is no planning, and all of that stuff really adds up. If it's possible for us to take that one burden off the Tinsley family (burying their son), i'd love to help if I can.

It is every parent's worst nightmare. My thoughts go out to his family and the pain they're feeling.

Shocked. I was away from pretty much every news source the entire day, I get home and learn from Tim Blotz that a Gopher football player had passed away. So terribly sad.

I remember shortly after my daughter was born, I came to the realization that the absolute best-case scenario for our time together to end would have her having to shoulder the burden of burying her last surviving parent. The day a child comes into your life is the best and worst thing that's ever going to happen to you. You instantly start loving them, but that's the same time you start worrying about them. I can't imagine what Tinsley's family is going through, but I hope they realize that their son brought a lot of joy and happiness to a lot of people in his way too short time on Earth. R.I.P., G.T. #51.

Just sent this email off to Maturi, to see if he can provide any insight or guidance on any kind of donations/support to the Tinsley family. I'll let you all know when I hear back.

Hello Mr. Maturi,

My name is Jon Tortomasi. I am an alumnus of the University of Minnesota, a Golden Gopher athletics fan, and a frequent donor to both the U's athletic and academic programs. I was shocked and saddened to hear about the death of former footballer and current student Gary Tinsley today. My heart goes out to Gary's family, friends, and teammates. He was a fan favorite on the Gopher defense during his four years of play, and will be sorely missed.

A number of my fellow Gopher supporters and I were wondering if, once the grief has been allowed to settle, it would be appropriate to collect funds for a donation made in Gary's name to a charity of his family's choosing. Or barring that, perhaps providing some kind of support (funeral expenses, etc) to the family, if needed. The goal here is to show our appreciation to Gary for his time spent at the U, and let his family know we care. Please let me know if you feel this is an appropriate action for us to take. The last thing we want to do is cause any distress or additional tension for Gary's family.

Thanks for your time,

Jon Tortomasi

Formo said:
Certainly there will be.

When the new uniforms were revealed, the GopherFB twitter account asked fans what jersey number they were planning to buy when the new jersey style goes on sale. A #51 jersey being sold would be a classy move, IMO

They totally should. I know they have sold #51 related apparel before because the University was founded in 1851, so there would be double significance. I was planning on buying one anyway, but a #51 would be perfect.

Top Bottom