BC Game Discussion

Yep, I was a bit worried about getting down early. We absolutely have to get the next goal.

Go Gophers!!

Our speed isn't showing - Matson finally got something on the net but its been too few so far. We aren't winning too many face offs yet.

we're getting some pressure but milner is on fire. we gotta keep the pressure on.

Should have two goals. Need to keep up the energy. I have a feeling BC is gonna bring more offense this period.

We can't let BC score again. When they get ahead by a couple they like to sit back on their butts and just play D. This young Gopher team may get really frustrated with that.

I don't know much about hockey, but I've been watching for 5 minutes and the Gophers have already had 4 offsides to BC's 0. Doesn't sound like a good thing to me.

Crap, time to pound beers :)

.......... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

what a f'n mess this game has become. that period was flat out embarrassing

Our D are a complete mess. We gave up more odd-man rushes in the second perioed than we had in about the last ten games combined.

Yep, I was a bit worried about getting down early. We absolutely have to get the next goal.

Go Gophers!!

Lucia was quoted in the paper saying that today and I think that is the worst attitude you can have. What did he always say back in 2002? "you have to be able to take a punch", and that team played like it - you get down, you keep playing.

You could see in the 2nd period they were pressing ridiculously.

We've been completely out-classed tonight.

That was a piss poor performance. They didn't exactly play that bad, they just didn't capitalize on their scoring chances. Boston did. This could have been a close game if the break away defense had been better and the players had hit their shots. One in particular, in the first with a wide open net, really hurt the team bad.....

Awful game. Nice to get to the final four, but how much does it help the program to get rocked by the premiere program in college hockey?

Next year's team should be decent again. Only losing Patterson and a couple of seniors. Bjugstad probably will leave which will hurt but everyone else is expected back.

Most years (like the last two times MN won) there were several good teams that could have won the championship. BC seems a step above any other team this year. Suffocating D, great vision on O, and obviously their goaltender is in the zone. We'll what Sat brings, but this BC team is very very good.

Awful game. Nice to get to the final four, but how much does it help the program to get rocked by the premiere program in college hockey?

Next year's team should be decent again. Only losing Patterson and a couple of seniors. Bjugstad probably will leave which will hurt but everyone else is expected back.

Not completely sure but I thought that the word earlier in the year was that Haula would be gone after this season. Again, don't know if that has changed or not but that's what I remember hearing.

Guess I'm going to have to put my Golden Gopher Hockey Happy Dance away until next year. The first period was really fun to watch when the game was a toss-up. We were getting really good chances but Millner was unbelievable.

It became un-watchable when the Gophs let BC get under their skin and suffered defensive lapse after defensive lapse.

Credit BC for playing the game that has won them 18 in a row. Ferris St is going to have to knock them off their game to have a chance. We couldn't do it.

Great Season, Gophs! It felt great to be proud of Gopher Hockey again.

Ran into a hot goalie. He snuffed two point blank shots and that can really mess with your mind and you start to overpass looking for the perfect shot. I checked over in Gopher Illustrated and there was already a "fire a Lucia thread" They have some of the biggest malcontents that mask as Gopher fans. Jeez, We were picked to finish 6th in the WCHA

Yup. We outperformed our preseason expectations in a big way... we just ran into a very good BC team that outplayed us badly. We looked slow, had sloppy passing and later in the game many of the SOG I saw were weak dribblers into traffic.

I was surprised by the lack of penalties earlier in the game. For the first period and a half it looked like a Lady Byng convention out there.

Oh well, it was a good run and gives us something to build on for next year.

Ran into a hot goalie. He snuffed two point blank shots and that can really mess with your mind and you start to overpass looking for the perfect shot. I checked over in Gopher Illustrated and there was already a "fire a Lucia thread" They have some of the biggest malcontents that mask as Gopher fans. Jeez, We were picked to finish 6th in the WCHA

I don't think we should fire Lucia because of one bad loss, but I am not a fan of the logic that it was impressive because "we were picked to finish 6th", the fact that under Lucia's watch the program got bad enough the last couple years to be picked 6th should not lower the bar for a program that should always be a powerhouse.

I don't think we should fire Lucia because of one bad loss, but I am not a fan of the logic that it was impressive because "we were picked to finish 6th", the fact that under Lucia's watch the program got bad enough the last couple years to be picked 6th should not lower the bar for a program that should always be a powerhouse.

I think I kind of have the same mind set. I don't think Lucia should be fired or anywhere near the hot seat but going forward we need to build off of this. The next four years can't be like the four years prior to this season. He did a great job with this team but the program can't be allowed to wander off into the wilderness for an extended period of time.

Agreed...One bad loss does not a bad coach make, nor does it a bad season make. What we experienced last night was the painful onset of a big-game rivalry with a juggernaut. If we trade blows with BC in future seasons in big games in the NCAA's, I'll know we've risen from the ashes. We do need to build on this. Can we do it with a goaltender with 35 seconds of collegiate experience next season?

Yikes. Go Gophers! Start warming up Patterson's replacement!

I think I kind of have the same mind set. I don't think Lucia should be fired or anywhere near the hot seat but going forward we need to build off of this. The next four years can't be like the four years prior to this season. He did a great job with this team but the program can't be allowed to wander off into the wilderness for an extended period of time.

I'm not on the Fire Lucia bandwagon, but the next couple years, this team should be held to a higher standard than it has been. Minnesota should ALWAYS be an elite college hockey team, along with programs like BC, Michigan, Denver, and (it pains me to say it), UND. Minnesota should ALWAYS be in the running for the national title, and while conference championships are a nice little token, the goal should always be a NCAA championship.

It will be interesting to see what happens in two years when the Big Ten starts play.

I'm not on the Fire Lucia bandwagon, but the next couple years, this team should be held to a higher standard than it has been. Minnesota should ALWAYS be an elite college hockey team, along with programs like BC, Michigan, Denver, and (it pains me to say it), UND. Minnesota should ALWAYS be in the running for the national title, and while conference championships are a nice little token, the goal should always be a NCAA championship.

It will be interesting to see what happens in two years when the Big Ten starts play.

Agreed. Let's see where we go from here. 4 year droughts without winning a tournament game should be absolutely unacceptable for this program. Imagine if Coach K went four seasons without making the 2nd round of March Madness.

Top Bottom