Post Season Championship Games

DL65

Reaction score
The Big 10 and Pac 10 are the only BCS conferences that do not play a post season championship game. I suspect it'll remain that way for a long, long time, if there ever is a change. I'm not sure if it's the Big 10 coaching fraternity or conference presidents that are opposed to the additional game for the two top teams - knowing that the Big 10 Conference would have to expand to 12 teams for equal divisions.

There are risks in having a championship game, as Kansas State and Oklahoma found out in recent years when they both were upset in their respective championship games. In Kansas State's case, they went from a spot in the national championship game to the Alamo Bowl, as a result of their loss in the conference championship game. Nevertheless, IMO, the pluses outweigh the minuses.

The Big 10 has a tradition of going its own way and being slow to change. As an example, during the late 1960s and 1970s many of the national conferences had large recuiting classes and even larger scholarship numbers, whereas the Big 10 Conference had reduced numbers in comparison to their counterparts. The only conference schools that were really affected by the disparity were conference teams other than OSU and Michigan. It was during that period that the Big 10 truly became the "Big Two and Little Eight." Later, cohesive rules related to recruiting and scholarship numbers were enacted. But until then, Big 10 schools were at a decided disadvantage in relation to other national schools. If my memory serves me correctly, the Big 10 could have a maximum of 95 scholarship players and other big conferences would have as many as 120 scholarship players - a decided advantage.

Since the likelihood of a round robin schedule in the Big !0 is next to nil, I would favor a conference expansion and post season championship game. But I don't see that happening.

Go Gophers!!

The one thing I can say, is that with ND sucking and not drawing the national prestige (and TV money) they used to as an independent, they may want in. That would open the door for 2 divisions and a title game.

Top Bottom