Silver lining for Wisconsin

2nd Degree Gopher

Reaction score
If he hurries, perhaps Bo can get back to Madison in time for the Chicken Dance at Bielema's wedding reception.

I predict an Elite 8 for Bucky after another year of rolling over the dregs of the mid-major bubble teams in what is becoming his annual NCAA draw from Heaven. Southwest Bumflogger State won't know what hit them in a blizzard of sideline bonobo tirades amid the best show of body-flopping this side of Larry Ellison's koi pond. But MC Hammer and the Crop-Tops will fold once again at the first sign of real competition (and refs who know how to call blocking fouls).

I've wondered about the antipathy for Wisconsin here. It seems more than just normal rivalry. Here's a program that was in as bad shape as UM not long ago that has become one of the top of the conference and a national power. They recruit to a town that is no more desirable than Minneapolis. They've done it by recruiting kids who stay with the program and play team ball. Maybe instead of knocking them all the time, we ought to try some of their winning techniques.

I predict an Elite 8 for Bucky after another year of rolling over the dregs of the mid-major bubble teams in what is becoming his annual NCAA draw from Heaven. Southwest Bumflogger State won't know what hit them in a blizzard of sideline bonobo tirades amid the best show of body-flopping this side of Larry Ellison's koi pond. But MC Hammer and the Crop-Tops will fold once again at the first sign of real competition (and refs who know how to call blocking fouls).

#12 seed Harvard over #5 shouldn't even be a bracket upset...it's a given that the high seeds in Wisconsin's brackets always fall.

Wisconsin sure did get a nice draw in the dance. Not too tough of a run to the sweet 16. They will fold after that.

I've wondered about the antipathy for Wisconsin here. It seems more than just normal rivalry. Here's a program that was in as bad shape as UM not long ago that has become one of the top of the conference and a national power. They recruit to a town that is no more desirable than Minneapolis. They've done it by recruiting kids who stay with the program and play team ball. Maybe instead of knocking them all the time, we ought to try some of their winning techniques.

As fans, how do we do that? It's a rivalry, they make fun of us too. I wouldn't expect anything less.

I appreciate that Wisconsin has developed a strong program and that Bo is a good coach. They run a clean program and Bo wins with four year type guys who aren't superstars but work hard, play as a team and play great defense. I would love to see more of that success in MN. That being said, they are so damn boring to watch. Plus I can't stand watching Bo cry and whine every single call. It is so over the top. Those two things I could do without.

I am now a Montana fan. If the BADgers should win they won't get by Vandy who just beat Kentucky today.

I don't have enough tears to to play there style. Win, yes they do. Boring and complaining is all I see when I have to watch them.

Wisconsin cheat the game. Flopping, clutching and grabbing, milking the clock...I would LOVE to see them ousted by Montana. I don't think they the Badgers will get the same calls in the tourney. Hightower and Valentine won't be around to give them the 50/50 calls.

If they don't hit the 3, Wisconsin will get beat against Montana. If not, Vandy will beat them in game two.

How did sconnie get a five star player to stay home and play that pathetic style? I can't believe if he is a five star player he didn't have better options.

Side note-j taylor won one Big Tournament game in his career.

tap said:
How did sconnie get a five star player to stay home and play that pathetic style? I can't believe if he is a five star player he didn't have better options.

He also only won one game at the barn.

Dekker was not a 5 star when he committed. He plays in a class that would be comparable to single A in Minnesota and he did not rise in the rankings until he dominated on the AAU circuit against much better competition. Since Dekker has been 4 years old, the Badgers have been in the NCAA tournament every year. He committed to the Badgers very early because he always wanted to be a Badger. My best guess is he enjoys winning and wants to become a better player, which makes Wisconsin a very good fit.

Tap: "How did sconnie get a five star player to stay home and play that pathetic style? " Pathetic style? You mean disciplined, team ball that wins games? I assume you prefer Minnesota's individual-moves, make-your-own-shot, hope-for-the-spectacular-dunk style? Well, if Wisconsin's style is uninteresting, why do they have such fan enthusiasm and we have apathy? A coach shouldn't select his style based on its entertainment value. College basketball is competition between two teams -- it's not show business like the NBA.

FSTF
I'm glad you like ryan's style of BB. Yes, they are disciplined but the games I have watched (UG) they pass around the ball until the shot clock is under ten and then they shoot a three. Winning creates fan enthusiasm and our day hopefully will come again. College BB is a competition but is also supposed to be fun. Would you rather see bergeron clank a three or Rodney drive to the basket? Ryan's teams will win games because they limit possessions, but do you really think they can ever win a NCAA Championship with his style? He's had better teams than this and has never made it to the final four.

Tap: Thanks for the good conversation. I, too, hope for better days for the U. I think, though, that trying to leap from where we are to a national champion contender is unrealistic. There must be intermediate steps. I think our recruiting advantages are most valued by Wisconsin-type players -- kids who learned the game playing as part of a team, who will stay in the program and improve for four years, and stay out of trouble. If we could build teams like that over the next four years or so, we can improve our appeal and thus our recruiting draw and maybe begin that run for national prominence.

Tap: Thanks for the good conversation. I, too, hope for better days for the U. I think, though, that trying to leap from where we are to a national champion contender is unrealistic. There must be intermediate steps. I think our recruiting advantages are most valued by Wisconsin-type players -- kids who learned the game playing as part of a team, who will stay in the program and improve for four years, and stay out of trouble. If we could build teams like that over the next four years or so, we can improve our appeal and thus our recruiting draw and maybe begin that run for national prominence.

AGREED!
Have you been a fan since the 50's?

I remember watching my first Gopher game vs. iowa on a b & w TV on the farm as a kid. Iowa had these ugly sailor type warm-ups. Geez I feel old!!!!

AGREED!
Have you been a fan since the 50's?

I remember watching my first Gopher game vs. iowa on a b & w TV on the farm as a kid. Iowa had these ugly sailor type warm-ups. Geez I feel old!!!!

Yes, have been a fan since the fifties. I hope we can both see the Gophers compete for a Big10 title in our lives.

Top Bottom