What's your opinion? Broadmoor or MacNaughton?

Rouser4eVA

No longer a lurker...
Reaction score
Hey Hockey 'Holers...I'm curious about your perspective. From a prestige/accomplishment standpoint (meaning I am excluding the auto-bid to the NCAA's for the Broadmoor as a criterion), which trophy means more to you as a fan of the Minnesota Golden Gopher hockey program?

The Broadmoor recognizes short-term success in a meaningful tournament, loaded with prestige and post-season implications. Winning it is meaningful in obvious ways, but the MacNaughton represents consistency and sustained success over the long season. MacNaughton teams have taken their fans on an enjoyable season of winning games and series and avoiding pointless weekends.

So how do you see it?

I'd take Broadmoor. For me, NCAA>Broadmoor>MacNaughton. The Broadmoor is on a bigger stage at a time during the season when teams have all the kinks worked out and have already had to battle through a gritty season. This is when we can find out who can win must win games against desperate teams in a win or go home environment similar to the NCAA tournament. Don't walk to take anything away from the Gophs for what they already accomplished though. We play 3 seasons, and we are champions in one of them already. I'd like to see 2 more by the time summer roles around.

I'm a MacNaughton guy. Always will be. It's a trophy for the long haul.

Just like in basketball, I value the regular season championship more. I can understand bleedsmaroonandgold's take, however.

Interesting to note: since 2008, there have been four WCHA teams in the Frozen Four. Only one (UND last year) played in the WCHA Final Five championship game that same year.

MacNaughton is the toughest to win given it takes a marathon of good efforts to win it.

Although there is no doubt that the NCAA title is what we all want the most.

playoff success always trumps season success.

It's too bad this discussion is only relevant for about another year. (super sad face)

Yeah, it's going to be a very sad day.

I initially felt the same way, but I think part of that is just my general resistance to change. I think we can cultivate strong rivalries against Michigan and MSU which will become as heated as some of the current WCHA match-ups, and I think that this will make it easier to cross sell the hockey team to the basketball and football crowds who don't understand the rivalry between us and NoDak or us and Duluth. If Kill can get the football team on track and the Little Brown Jug becomes competitive again, some of the animosity between fan bases will translate from the football game to the four hockey games.

This will be even more true if the other six schools field hockey programs (which is more realistic now that they will have a big-time conference ready to accept them) and we can hate a hockey team in Iowa City too.

I initially felt the same way, but I think part of that is just my general resistance to change. I think we can cultivate strong rivalries against Michigan and MSU which will become as heated as some of the current WCHA match-ups, and I think that this will make it easier to cross sell the hockey team to the basketball and football crowds who don't understand the rivalry between us and NoDak or us and Duluth. If Kill can get the football team on track and the Little Brown Jug becomes competitive again, some of the animosity between fan bases will translate from the football game to the four hockey games.

This will be even more true if the other six schools field hockey programs (which is more realistic now that they will have a big-time conference ready to accept them) and we can hate a hockey team in Iowa City too.
I heard Nebraska is likely next. Though they probably just don't want UNO better than them at anything.

With only six teams currently in the B1G, I'm confident we can keep our current rivalries strong. NoDak & UMD will probably hate us even more for leaving.

Agreed. I can think of no better time for this iconic symbol to return than during the same period we can all enjoy buy 1, get 1 for $.99 blizzards. :)
My post was obviously a joke -- but serious at the same time. I think a travelling trophy for the MN team with the best record against in-state rivals is a cool idea. Maybe they switch it to the Buffalo Wild Wings Cup.

national title or bust, isnt that all that matters?
lots of ndsu fans are gopher hockey fans by the way, so good luck this spring!

I'm definitely a Broadmoor guy. After the season, I rarely care/remember where we ended up in the regular season. An example would be the Wheeler goal to win the final five against the Flickertails. I have no memory if we won the MacNaughton that year...

We did win the Mcnaughton that year and in the NCAA's Briggs was the hot hand and Lucia made the idiotic decision to start Frazee. Not that I'm calling for the Don's head he's won two national titles three Mcnaughton's and atleast Broadmoor's, but he really screwed pooch on that one and probably cost himself a third national title

For me between the two I would always take the MacNaughton as it's harder to win out over the regular season than in a playoff tournament (especially in hockey, where if a team gets hot they can go on a run).

As an avid soccer fan as well, the domestic league is always the biggest title to win, as opposed to the other knockout cup competitions, most big clubs would even rather win their domestic league than the European Cup (aka Champions League).

Top Bottom