All Things Alex Illikainen Recruitment Thread: UPDATED 11/12/18: Illikainen leaves UW

Duluth News Tribune: Grand Rapids 79, Minneapolis Patrick Henry 51

Division I prospect Alex Illikainen scored 40 points and pulled down 23 rebounds to lead the Thunderhawks to victory in the team’s own Northwoods Holiday Tournament.

Go Gophers!!

Grand Rapids Herald Review: Alex Illikainen: Taking it all in stride

“To me, that’s what’s amazing is how well he has handled that,” Elhard remarked. “It started in eighth grade, and with the way things are now with AAU, and all these recruiting services, and colleges recruiting in eighth grade, that’s what amazes me is he’s been able to handle that. I don’t think I would have been able to handle it half as well as he is. That’s amazing, and it’s a tribute to his family and his maturity.”

http://www.grandrapidsmn.com/sports/high_school/article_8579845e-4d6a-11e2-9c24-0019bb2963f4.html

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like we are definitely the favorite. He'd be a great addition.

anyone know if he is a potential top100 recruit for 2015? He doesn't have a page yet on espn yet, but jarvis johnson has one, so I don't know if he is the top recruit in the state or not, I would love for him to be a gopher though, can never have enough talented big men

He is top recruit. Jarvis does not have a Gopher offer. He needs to drill jumpers better before Tubby offers. ESPN prep writers have connections with PumpNRun plus Jarvis played up a year AAU. Alex played for lower profile program

Illikainen is definitley a top 100 talent. Could possibly be top 50. Playing for the Cyclones doesn't help his cause for getting ranked though.

I would be all for him being under ranked, wouldn't have to compete with schools such as duke and kentucky for him

Really hoping we get a somewhat early commitment from Illikainen.

Reminds me of Rick Rickert in HS. Agree, would be nice to get an early commitment. We've got a lot of top local targets next few years and it would be nice to lock a couple of them up early.

I think we have a really, really, really good shot with him. He seemed to have loved his campus visit and the atmosphere in the Barn. I'd be surprised if we don't end up with him and I could even see an early commit.

Looks like a big 3 at next level with how well he moves

Reminds me of Rick Rickert in HS. Agree, would be nice to get an early commitment. We've got a lot of top local targets next few years and it would be nice to lock a couple of them up early.

moves better than RR..
RR was a bit stiff... and slow... kind of bounded along when he moved.. and had a s-l-o-w turnaround J.
this kid is skilled off-glass.. pretty rare these days.

reminds me of OO..

but can this kid dunk?? where are the dunks?

looks like a young Cody Zeller

moves better than RR..
RR was a bit stiff... and slow... kind of bounded along when he moved.. and had a s-l-o-w turnaround J.
this kid is skilled off-glass.. pretty rare these days.

reminds me of OO..

but can this kid dunk?? where are the dunks?

I wonder if this is what Cody Zeller looked like entering his sophmore season? Alex is what 6'9" he easily could grow two more inches. He moves like a guy 6'5".

Looks like he is a fan of the home state team....

Alex Illikainen ‏@AIllikainen_25
Dang these gophers are all over that rim! #10MinnesotaVS13Illinois

he also retweeted this gopherhole tweet

GopherHole.com ‏@GopherHole
WOW!!! What a big time road win for the #Gophers!!!!! 84-67 final!!!! 15-1 and 3-0 in Big Ten!!

Have we offered him yet?

Yes. From Monter's latest Q&A with him:

Alex Illikainen, a 6-foot-9, 205-pound sophomore from Grand Rapids, who received a scholarship offer in April from Minnesota, is considered the top player in the state in the Class of 2015.

Gopher Hole: How many offers are you up to right now?

Alex Illikainen: Seven. Minnesota, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Creighton, NDSU, Oregon and Nebraska.

Gopher Hole: What other schools are you hearing from besides those seven?

Alex Illikainen: Kansas, Wisconsin and Indiana.

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/207247?referrer_id=388419

Go Gophers!!

Illikainen and Henry Ellenson teamed with Vaughn, Travis and jones. Wow.....I think we have a pretty good shot at just about all of them other than Tyus.

Watched alex illikainen today vs. Forest Lake. Grand Rapids won in a squeeker. First time I had seen him play, kid is the real deal. Had 31 pts (being double and triple teamed all day),double digit boards I would guess and a few impressive blocks. He moves well and is very skilled, almost unstoppable in the post and a nice face up jump shot. Has nice touch and kissed a few nice shots of the backboard. This kid is the real deal as a sophomore and I would say an absolute must for Tubby.

I saw the Grand Rapids-Forest Lake game as well and would echo everything said above. Mobile, will be a 4 in college, will need to extend the range on his shot and get stronger. But there are no weaknesses in his game. I would have to say he is the best big man in Minnesota already, today, as a sophomore.

Despite his 31 points, however, he was darn near overshadowed by Forest Lake's 3 point shooting. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. 19-of-34 according to my unofficial numbers. 6 different players made a 3. At one time the score was 21-21 and Forest Lake had scored on 7 3's out of 8 attempts at that point.

I only had 7 rebounds for Illikainen btw but there were precious few rebounds to be had with both teams shooting 50 percent +. Illikainen was 7-of-7 the 2nd half.

Alex Illikainen was at the game today behind the Gophers bench and unlike most recruits who stand there and never cheer, Alex was up doing a few Rouser's and was really into it down the stretch in the last few minutes. Great to see.

Go Gophers!!

@AIllikainen_25: Great time at the Barn with my awesome big cousins @Beau_Darin @Tyleri56

Go Gophers!!

Really excited about Illikainen. Lots of potential and seems like we're in good position to land him. Him and Henry would be a scary front-court duo.

Top Bottom