All Things Alex Illikainen Recruitment Thread: UPDATED 11/12/18: Illikainen leaves UW

It would be great to get this kid and Henry Ellenson.

@AmeliaRayno: #Gophers' Ron Jirsa is up in Grand Rapids watching Alex Illikainen today.

Go Gophers!!

Tweet: "Oregon assistant coach Kevin McKenna will watch Alex Illikainen at open gym in Grand Rapids (WI) tonight, via @tchoopsczar."

Go Gophers!!

Northern Iowa and Kansas were reportedly watching the big man tonight in open gym.

per Monter tweet: "Grand Rapids SO Alex Illikianen had 39 points & 27 rebounds, but it wasn't enough as the Thunderhawks lost to St. Cloud Cathedral in OT"

Go Gophers!!

What exactly is the perception on this guy? Is he just a solid big man from in-state, or is he a stud and a top priority for the Gophers? And is it practical or likely that we would want to get both him and Henry Ellenson?

What exactly is the perception on this guy? Is he just a solid big man from in-state, or is he a stud and a top priority for the Gophers? And is it practical or likely that we would want to get both him and Henry Ellenson?
From watching him in the state tournament last year I got the feeling he could be a pretty special player. I really liked the way he played he ran the floor very well kind of the way Zeller at Indiana does, not trying to say he is the next Zeller but he does play a very similar style game to him, and finished well around the basket. I would think he would be a priority and the Gophers will probably go after him and Ellenson both.

I've never seen this guy play.... but for what it's worth, Ryan James, who seems to be pretty plugged into the recruiting scene seems to think Alex is a pretty big catch. With all of the attention that everyone puts into Tyus, Rashad and Travis, he feels that this guy is not getting his due. Ryan talks about the concept of the allure to the outstate (non metro) kids to the U over the metro kids... which is probably true. I feel like I should plug his podcast while I'm at it. I enjoy it every week and as far as I know it's the only one for Gopher basketball. I swear, I'm not on their payroll, which I'm sure is large.

http://talkgopherbuckets.tumblr.com/

I've never seen this guy play.... but for what it's worth, Ryan James, who seems to be pretty plugged into the recruiting scene seems to think Alex is a pretty big catch. With all of the attention that everyone puts into Tyus, Rashad and Travis, he feels that this guy is not getting his due. Ryan talks about the concept of the allure to the outstate (non metro) kids to the U over the metro kids... which is probably true. I feel like I should plug his podcast while I'm at it. I enjoy it every week and as far as I know it's the only one for Gopher basketball. I swear, I'm not on their payroll, which I'm sure is large.

Madman, guess I was thinking Ryan would talk about Alex in the most recent podcast, which he didn't. However, thanks for the link. Good listen for Gopher basketball fans. I recommend it.

Outscored D1 7ft Connor Voss from Cathedral 39-7. Will put up huge numbers as Grand Rapids is a one man gang playing a soft schedule. THE SCOUT! likes him as much as Henry Ellenson. He does not play up in AAU and plays for a lower profile progam than pumpnrun

GR plays at Forest Lake Feb 2 at 2:30. Here is your chance.

He will get his due once those guys commit, the guy is class of 2015 and not really not a national name like Ellenson, once gophers figure out the 2014 class, you will hear a lot about him

Outscored D1 7ft Connor Voss from Cathedral 39-7. Will put up huge numbers as Grand Rapids is a one man gang playing a soft schedule. THE SCOUT! likes him as much as Henry Ellenson. He does not play up in AAU and plays for a lower profile progam than pumpnrun

For a guy who likes to abbreviate everything, I'm surprised you take the time to spell out your whole moniker instead of just typing "I like." Not very consistent. Illikainen has loads of potential, but Henry is still a better prospect. We'll see how Illikainen develops. They would make for a great front-court duo for the Gophers.

I was told here that Illikainen will be a McDonald's All-American, so I'm presuming that makes him a high-priority target for the Gophers.

@ISURecruitLists: Alex Illikainen had 28 points to lead Grand Rapids to a 73-55 win over Zimmerman w/ #Gophers Tubby Smith watching.

Go Gophers!!

Tubby is looking at more than the scorebook...He is watching fundamentals like footwork, running the floor, defensive actions, passing, so much more.

Meanwhile, congratulations to Anders Broman. Broman scored 53 points and became the second boys basketball player in Minnesota history to top 4,000 career points as Lakeview Christian Academy of Duluth lost a high-scoring affair to Heritage Christian Academy, 106-103, Saturday afternoon.

Broman, who drilled nine 3-pointers in the game, now has 4,045 points in his standout career and needs 42 points to break the all-time mark of 4,086 set by Kevin Noreen of Minnesota Transitions in 2010.

@ISURecruitLists: Alex Illikainen had 28 points to lead Grand Rapids to a 73-55 win over Zimmerman w/ #Gophers Tubby Smith watching.

Go Gophers!!

I am from GR and was at the game, and he put on a pretty good show for Tubby. Nice to see him take time to come watch some outstate hoops, I think he realizes this kid is for real. He won't be the last coach to stroll through these parts to see this kid!

As an 8th grader he played at a high level against a D1 recruit at the State tourney a couple years ago.....he's for real, we had better be in hot pursuit. Grand Rapids gave us Dusty Rychart and this guy is way beyond

That was vs. Shelby Moats of Waconia, who is at Vandy. Illikainen, the 8th grader at the time, played Moats, a senior and 1st or 2nd team all-state according to most, to a dead heat. Each had like 12-13 points and 8-9 boards I think.

per Monter: "Grand Rapids SO Alex Illikainen will be attending the Minnesota-Lafayette game Saturday night. Tubby Smith & Ron Jirsa watched him Saturday"

Go Gophers!!

Would love to get this kid and Henry Ellenson. What a combo that would be.

I have seen this kid play too, sounds like the Gophers are keeping close tabs, hopefully he wants to play in state!

@GophersNow: Grand Rapids sophomore standout Alex Illikainen toured the locker room with his folks tonight after the game. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

Great game for him to be at. Big blow out with highlight dunks and a sell out home crowd.

Top Bottom