Looking Ahead at 2013 Recruiting

gophs11

Reaction score
Curious as to the prospects we might be dealing with this upcoming year. Any gopher locks (like a Tommy Olson type) or any players from out of state that may have early Gopher ties (like Jamel Harbison). It seems our in-state class this year won't be as talented as 2012. Thoughts/information?

im excited to see how keelon brookins out of tartan turns out. incredible athlete and I hope to see him in maroon and gold someday.

Keelon Brookins is really fast. I'd imagine he'll end up a CB.

I don't know who is a Gopher lock, but I know there are a lot of good DE / LB prospects next season.

A guy I really like is Chris Wipson out of Wayzata. He is progressing into a really good football player. As a SO, he started on a terrific Wayzata football team (a lot of really good defensive players wouldn't start at Wayzata as a SO), he looked good. As a JR, I thought he was the best player on a really good Wayzata defense. I actually think he stood out more than any defensive player on the field in the State Championship game. I don't know how well he can run or what his size really is, but if he is 6'3" 225 lbs and can move decent (appears to), he has a real chance to be a Big 10 football player.

There is also a kid from Eden Praire, a DT named Renke or something like that, he looks pretty decent.

Then there is the early big names:
Michael Flowers - DT - Humboldt
Keelon Brookins - DB - Tartan
James Onwualu - RB/WR/S - Cretin
Steve Schindler - LB - Hutch

(I don't know any outstate guys)

James Onwualu is interesting. has several big time offers early and I feel the Gophers could be in good contention to get this blue-chipper.

Keelon Brookins is really fast. I'd imagine he'll end up a CB.

I don't know who is a Gopher lock, but I know there are a lot of good DE / LB prospects next season.

A guy I really like is Chris Wipson out of Wayzata. He is progressing into a really good football player. As a SO, he started on a terrific Wayzata football team (a lot of really good defensive players wouldn't start at Wayzata as a SO), he looked good. As a JR, I thought he was the best player on a really good Wayzata defense. I actually think he stood out more than any defensive player on the field in the State Championship game. I don't know how well he can run or what his size really is, but if he is 6'3" 225 lbs and can move decent (appears to), he has a real chance to be a Big 10 football player.

There is also a kid from Eden Praire, a DT named Renke or something like that, he looks pretty decent.

Then there is the early big names:
Michael Flowers - DT - Humboldt
Keelon Brookins - DB - Tartan
James Onwualu - RB/WR/S - Cretin
Steve Schindler - LB - Hutch

(I don't know any outstate guys)

Any one know Schindler's List? ;)

Some really impressive Jr prospects will be on campus in the upcoming weeks, hopefully we can nab a few early big-time commits to keep the momentum going

Some really impressive Jr prospects will be on campus in the upcoming weeks, hopefully we can nab a few early big-time commits to keep the momentum going

do you have names of any of the prospects that will be attending?

CB Tedric Thompson(Ca) has some connections here, being a teammate and good freind of Brock Vereen and his brother being Cedric Thompson. i think he got an early offer if I'm not mistaken.

This Davis kid from wisky sounds like a big time athlete that might be a bit lean but with great speed. Hopefully the legacy aspect can hook him away from burt and his drunker badger hooligans.

Claeys said we might go heavy on linebackers in this next class, up to 5 supposedly, I'd bet at least a few will be longer leaner kids who might put on weight an become DE's.

Caleb Leichtnam -RCTC-

Don't forget the name.

Those are some seriously jaw-dropping numbers no doubt. But 9-man is 9-man and non-scholarship community college football is non-scholarship community college football. RCTC had a great season, but ran in a scholarship program from Iowa (Western I think) and got absolutely murdered.

They were 11-1 until getting destroyed 62-0 in their bowl game. I wish Minnesota had a stronger JUCO league but it is what it is for the time being. His stats deserve at least a look this upcomming year.

no...you really don't...at least not in your neighborhood/community...

I'm 400 miles away, so I really don't have to worry about the negative clientele. I have to deal with enough of it in Kansas City.

I doubt there is a ton of trouble around those JuCos. Even if those JuCo players are inherently trouble, there aren't many of them. The vast majority of the student population would not be the same kids who go to RCTC or Mesabi or whatever. I could be wrong, i've never lived in a town with a scholarship JuCo, but i'd have a hard time believing it would be much different with or without scholarships.

I must have seen the same tape bob l. saw on Wipson. If he can run, he can play. He really socks people and he does it from about any angle.

Gophers offer Beaver Dam, (WI) runningback, R.J. Shelton, their third offer to the state of Wisconsin (and Chikwe Obasih should get one sooner than later). Shelton also has offers from Iowa and Michigan State.

I've said it before, but the state of Wisconsin is going to look a lot like Minnesota did last year in terms of local talent. I think Connor Riese from Schofield will get a Gophers offer eventually as well.

Given that Wisconsin increasingly considers itself a national player in recruiting, it'll be interesting to see how many of these kids they offer. Currently, they haven't offered anyone, even though Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue, and Nebraska have all offered numerous kids. They're probably operating under the assumption that they can offer whenever they want and the local kids will come home. They may be right, but it's interesting to watch.

Yeah I saw that too. I wonder what the connection is.

I know we cant compare ourselves to Michigan but I just noticed that they had four 4* players commit yesterday, making the total for 2013 class eight 4*'s already.

Point being - we just had a junior day with some visits didnt we? Anyone know how this went? Ive heard we have har fewer scholorships to hand out this year so maybe Kill is being a little more patient.

In Tubby We Trust Point being - we just had a junior day with some visits didnt we? Anyone know how this went? Ive heard we have har fewer scholorships to hand out this year so maybe Kill is being a little more patient.[/QUOTE said:
I am pretty sure our first junior day is this upcoming Saturday, the 25th.

Top Bottom