If the Vikes stay it looks like they'll need to play in TCF Bank Stadium

The NFL brand is the only pro sport that doesn't require a larger market to be successful.
Oklahoma city supporting and NBA team is more of a stretch than an NFL team. The difference being I don't think they've expressed interest in an NFL team and they openly courted NBA teams.
Precisely. That's why the NFL is in one market that has a metropolitan population of less than 1,000,000 residents.

Its interesting how some no-more-taxes people get all worked up over a 1/2% tax increase. That's $.50 on a $100 purchase. And the legislators wet their pants in fear on not getting re-elected if they vote to raise a tax. Yet they regularly approve fee increases on the public without any concern. Most people pay them and move on. Same thing with the .15% or so sales tax increase for the Twins stadium. Do shoppers stay away from Hennepin County because of the tax?

Check out the number of Wisconsin license plates at the Minnesota malls where Wisky people gladly pay an extra 1-2% additional sales tax on their purchases. Its 7.5% in Duluth versus 5.5% in Superior and liquor purchases are close to 10% versus 5.5%.

MN has no sales tax on clothing. That's largely why the MOA was built here and why many people come shopping at malls here from out of state.

MN has no sales tax on clothing. That's largely why the MOA was built here and why many people come shopping at malls here from out of state.

I find it hard to believe that people are willing to save ~8% on clothing purchases after driving a minimum of 30 miles (Hudson or Prescott WI), 60 both ways (making for minimum 2 gallons of gas = $6+, requiring a MINIMUM of $75 spent on clothes per purchase). Take in to consideration longer drives (SD, ND, IA, etc) or people who fly and stay a night in a hotel. I doubt sales tax is a major reason anyone comes, perhaps a slight bonus when they get there. The real reason is the large concentration of shops, restaurants, and entertainment in a convenient location to the airport and hotels and typically a variety of stores they wouldn't otherwise find in their hometowns.

I find it hard to believe that people are willing to save ~8% on clothing purchases after driving a minimum of 30 miles (Hudson or Prescott WI), 60 both ways (making for minimum 2 gallons of gas = $6+, requiring a MINIMUM of $75 spent on clothes per purchase). Take in to consideration longer drives (SD, ND, IA, etc) or people who fly and stay a night in a hotel. I doubt sales tax is a major reason anyone comes, perhaps a slight bonus when they get there. The real reason is the large concentration of shops, restaurants, and entertainment in a convenient location to the airport and hotels and typically a variety of stores they wouldn't otherwise find in their hometowns.

Which begs the question; should MN apply sales tax to clothing. According to my friend, poor people don't buy clothing.

I find it hard to believe that people are willing to save ~8% on clothing purchases after driving a minimum of 30 miles (Hudson or Prescott WI), 60 both ways (making for minimum 2 gallons of gas = $6+, requiring a MINIMUM of $75 spent on clothes per purchase).

$75 on clothes is nothing. Levi's 550 jeans are almost $60 at Macy's.

Also consider that if you live in Prescott or Hudson, the closest major shopping is going to be Woodbury, Maplewood, or the MOA, so you're driving anyway.

I know in college, I specifically bought a new winter coat at the Scheels in Moorhead instead of Fargo because of the sales tax issue, and that was years ago.

Hey, if anybody still wants to re-fight or re-write the Vikings deal, or the "the NFL will never let a team move" theory here you go. There appear to be 8-9 threads on it too. No reason to go thru this again but some people appear to want to. Though this thread should now be on the Off-Topic Board with the other Viking's threads..

Top Bottom