Souhan: Adam Weber "has a better NFL future than Tim Tebow"

I don't watch too much NFL, and maybe it started at Florida, but what is with the Tebowmania? He's not the first football player to be outspoken about their beliefs or point up/pray after a touchdown. But nobody made a big deal about it when it was Cris Carter. Is it just because he's an underdog, since he doesn't have the skills to be an NFL QB, but is winning games?

Probably a lot of reasons. While Carter demonstrated his religious faith off-the-field (as have hundreds, nay thousands) of athletes have, I don't think many have taken it onto the field the way that Tebow has. The Bible verses on the eye black patches just about say it all there. And Tebow has the backstory of how his mother was counseled to abort him due to medical concerns, but chose not to. I think it's also important to remember that Tebow played his college ball on the outskirts of the Bible Belt. He (or perhaps his fans) have just been a bit more aggressive as Christian athletic warriors than other devout athletes.

Weber was cut today

Probably a lot of reasons. While Carter demonstrated his religious faith off-the-field (as have hundreds, nay thousands) of athletes have, I don't think many have taken it onto the field the way that Tebow has. The Bible verses on the eye black patches just about say it all there. And Tebow has the backstory of how his mother was counseled to abort him due to medical concerns, but chose not to. I think it's also important to remember that Tebow played his college ball on the outskirts of the Bible Belt. He (or perhaps his fans) have just been a bit more aggressive as Christian athletic warriors than other devout athletes.

Weber was cut today

Yes he is. Broncos signed him from the practice squad when they released Orton. But hey, don't let the facts get in your way.

That was short lived. Weber is now on the practice squad with Tampa.

whether or not you liked Weber or thought he should be benched, he did what the coaches told him to do go out and play. The kid tried and nobody can ever accuse him of not trying,. He's gone and making money at something he loves to do. How many of you can say you are still chaseing your childhood dream and getting paid for it. GET OFF THE KIDS BUTT, HE'S GONE!!!!!!!!!!! With more class than 95% of the people here.

Adam took the scholarship for a high profile position. This is a forum about Gopher football, including the history. What is to get over? The guy set all kinds of records yet accomplished very little. He is part of the cultural fascination of the team. In fact all that is both good and bad about the team is embedded in his legendary status. He is like a Greek god. You never know if you should admire them or be wary of their faults. Adam has such complex qualities he is worthy of fascination, as a historical figure alone. You must really love and worry about him to hate this mild discussion about him. I think we all can admire that care and devotion to any person. It is well known how I thought he would not succeed in the No Fun League. Who cares! There were many who valiantly defended him on this board, very loyally at that. Many of us clearly are fascinated how an managed to miss so many open, even wide open receivers and get signed to two teams. He will fall upward his entire life. Good for him.

Top Bottom