Lack of Sampson Development- Who is to blame?

217FAN

Reaction score
Sure, he can shoot well from the outside. If he had ball handling skills he could be a good small forward, but in 4 years we see little progress in developing skills as a big man unlike John Leur of Wis. Who is too balme? Why can't he at least raise his arms above his shoulders to ask for the ball inside and hold the ball up when he is away from the basket? Basic stuff and why can't or won't he do it? He could do so much for this time if he would execute common sense moves.

He is what he is, but to say he hasn't developed is not true. He's a lot better today than he was when he was a freshman, so I'm not sure your point. But he'll never a Ben Wallace.

Rhalp is to blame, I have watched him for four years with the gophers and he just seems as if he doesn't even want to be out there. He does get up for better competition but he needs to bring it every game and I haven't seen that, Rhalp is more of a laid back type of player. That's not good enough here and it won't be in the NBA if he has a chance to make it. The last two games we have been in position to win both games and don't get me wrong the whole team is responsible for losing any game but for Rhalp to be a senior, you would think that he can hold on to a ball in crunch time games and demand the ball more down low when we are down 2-3 points. He is the only senior on the team that is playing right now, he needs to take control on the offense and be a major presents on the defense of end.

Ralph has had a high school coach, college coaches, an all-american and all-pro dad, and big camp coaches and he still hasn't improved. These people must have seen his dificiencies. IMO he just doesn't have the capability to learn anything new basketball-wise and put it into his game. As it has been said many times, it is as it is and you got what you got!

He is what he is, but to say he hasn't developed is not true. He's a lot better today than he was when he was a freshman, so I'm not sure your point. But he'll never a Ben Wallace.
Everyone wants Ralph to have developed into a banger, which he just isn't. But I agree, he definitely has developed and it is foolish to say he hasn't.

Agree he will never be a banger, Courtney James type power player.

He is a SF in a C body, but I do think he has developed some, just has not re-done his game, good or bad.

He is an above average B10 player, but IMO not a program changer, which I think a lot of people thought he would be coming in. I think he really struggles without another big body to play high low with.

Ralph's baby hook and spot up jump shooting have improved. He's a Jack Sikma (analogy to my critic) type center. He's not a foundation but a good support player. Put him beside Trevor and RWhite, and we'd have had a formidable team up front as recruited and imagined. You make Ralph the focus of the offense, and he shows his limitations. Just give the young man his due instead of saying he was supposed to be a superstar.

Agree he will never be a banger, Courtney James type power player.

He is a SF in a C body, but I do think he has developed some, just has not re-done his game, good or bad.

He is an above average B10 player, but IMO not a program changer, which I think a lot of people thought he would be coming in. I think he really struggles without another big body to play high low with.

Ralph is an average player.

Ralph is an average player.

Fair enough. In my opinion an average player would be a 4th-8th guy on a middle of the road team. I think He is better than that. Not much better, but better.

He lacks heart and motivation. A complete waste of an athletic body.

He lacks heart and motivation. A complete waste of an athletic body.

I don't think he's that athletic. I think he has slow reflexes. I think that's why we see him a half second late so often. Just a guess. As to his strength- that's his fault. He has had 4 years to make himself into a physical beast in the weight room. That combined with his ability to shoot and his height would have been plenty good to make him a very good player.

I think Ralph is playing ball because his family expected of him due to his legacy.
Sometimes you get a kid who goes into a profession simply because his father and or his father's father
did it so it becomes the natural thing to do. If you look at him closely he plays with no emotion and no heart.
He seems that he just really doesn't care about the game. I know not all players show a great amount of
emotion. Just my opinion but I don't think he cares one bit for basketball.

I don't think he's that athletic. I think he has slow reflexes. I think that's why we see him a half second late so often. Just a guess. As to his strength- that's his fault. He has had 4 years to make himself into a physical beast in the weight room. That combined with his ability to shoot and his height would have been plenty good to make him a very good player.

I think he's had some nice moments on the court but there's a reason that he wasn't very highly recruited. If Ralph had shown a lot in HS he would not have ended up here. He's a slightly above average B10 big man who has the wrong last name. As a comparison, Jeff Hagen went from not being able to get out of his own way to being a more productive and valuable player than Ralph. Hagen probably worked harder overall than Ralph and Ralph has less natural ability than we thought.

jamiche said:
I think he's had some nice moments on the court but there's a reason that he wasn't very highly recruited. If Ralph had shown a lot in HS he would not have ended up here. He's a slightly above average B10 big man who has the wrong last name. As a comparison, Jeff Hagen went from not being able to get out of his own way to being a more productive and valuable player than Ralph. Hagen probably worked harder overall than Ralph and Ralph has less natural ability than we thought.

Disagree. Ralph was a rivals 4 star recruit, their overall number 59 prospect and according to them had offers from Clemson, Georgia tech, Kentucky, and Maryland.

He was recruited pretty well out of high school and chose Minnesota.

In sports to be the guy that everyone wants Ralph to be, it's an attitute, in hockey you have to have the desire to block shots, same with being a WR going over the middle to catch a pass, or a pitcher who pitches inside, being a center in hoops is no different than those, you can't coach that type of attribute, athletes either have it or they don't, a coach can teach fundamentals, systems, develop an athletes skill set, but you can't give someone heart and desire. You have to find an internal motivation to be like a Trevor Mbakwe or a Courtney James

Top Bottom