Any chance Tubby hangs it up after this season?

GopherJake

Reaction score
I have no inside information whatsoever. Just a thought that occurred to me. He did run away from KY when the pressure started to mount. Is the same thing perhaps happening here?

Probably a crazy thought. But anything is possible.

I feel like the only reason there is perceived pressure on Tubby is this latest loss to Iowa. If we had won that game, no one would be talking about this. Everything was going pretty well here until last January when both of our veteran point guards became unable to play. And so because of a really crappy end to last season and a bad home loss to Iowa, revisionist historians are lamenting the last three years of absolutely dreadful basketball under Tubby and saying he needs to go.

As much as I'm beginning to lose faith in the Smith regime, it would be a bad thing for the university if he leaves this year. Too much is unsettled with the AD situation and the practice facility in regards to building priorities. It would be rest to roll with this and hope things improve.

It could get ugly if Tubby is asked to reevaluate his staff and make changes, especially Saul. That would be a big concession for a power coach. Then again, I don't see Maturi making that kind of a call and a new AD isn't going to introduce himself to the department with those kinds of power moves.

I think a 4-14,5-13 finish in the Big Ten and he would strongly consider. He was very upset and embarrassed last year finishing 6-12.

No he doesn't leave

I have strongly believed for a long time that Tubby wanted Saul to take over for him when he retired.
There is no way that Saul would be considered if this year is a repeat of last year.
I think the only way Tubby could see Saul getting the job now is if he ( Tubby ) could really get
this turned around this year and come back with a better year next season and the next. That
would show that he has the program on a upswing and he could make an argument that Saul could
keep it going. In other words, I could see Tubby staying more for Saul's future than his own.
As long as Tubby has a job then Saul has one because he will NOT let the AD dictate who his assistants are.
( especially when it comes to Saul )

The only way that Tubby quits is if he feels things are getting too bad and not going to get better.
I don't think he will allow his record to be blemished by too many bad seasons.

I am reminded of the later part of Tom Kelly's tenure. I think he was ready to retire around 1999. Then Chris Clouser came in and tried to force him out. That made him dig in. He wasn't going to be told to leave and he wasn't leaving on a down note. So he stuck it out until they had a winning season. I think Tubby will not want to leave on a down note. This is probably his last job.

i agree that Tubby is grooming Saul for the job. His success will depend on whether or not he gets to hand it off. I think Saul would be a good replacement. When he played, no one worked harder on the court. I would suspect he would be a relentless coach much like a young Tubby Smith. The WKU job just opened up and they are known for bringing in young assistant coaches.. might Saul put his name in the hat?

i agree that Tubby is grooming Saul for the job. His success will depend on whether or not he gets to hand it off. I think Saul would be a good replacement. When he played, no one worked harder on the court. I would suspect he would be a relentless coach much like a young Tubby Smith. The WKU job just opened up and they are known for bringing in young assistant coaches.. might Saul put his name in the hat?

If Saul wants the job, I'd rather he go somewhere like WKU and show what he can do as a HC. That's what JT III did at Princeton before coming back to Georgetown. That is about the only succession plan that has worked out in recent memory. Tony Bennett at WSU worked too I suppose, but he didn't stay long. Most of others (Knight, Sutton) flopped.

The ideal that Saul would step into the job is crazy. I understand the thinking that Tubby hopes to promote his son career, but if this is Tubby's plan at MN, count me out.

Top Bottom