Excessive Celebration

RailBaronYarr

Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse, but after Blackmon's touchdown just now, he dropped the ball and saluted the crowd. This wasn't a game-winning/tying touchdown or even anything THAT important. Yet he was not flagged. Am I mistaken or didn't this exact thing happen (on a much more crucial play) last year in at least one game with a flag being thrown? This is just another example of inconsistent calls made by referees.. it's a tough spot to be in for them but also a tough spot to be in if you're a kid who does one little celebratory move that you've seen go un-penalized in the past then get flagged for it. I don't like the NFL but I also don't like inconsistency and penalizing kids when they're excited for making a big play.

As with many rules, this one could be improved by specifying what a player must do or not do rather than what his intention was. Require a player to hand the ball to the nearest official after scoring with no intervening action. This would help return some respect and tact to the game.

Here was the play last year I was thinking of.. K-State vs Syracuse in the Pinstripe Bowl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG2elnucMPY

If you're watching the Fiesta Bowl I think you'd agree Blackmon's move was nearly identical. I also saw a play earlier today, not sure if it was a South Carolina or Georgia player (was flipping so much) that scored and pointed directly at fans then asked them to get loud. I've seen players who point at fans as they score get penalized as well.

And yes, instituting a rule like that would help, but as it stands right now it is so wildly inconsistently called, which is the problem...

Didn't McKnight get called for excessive celebrating this season? I remember it being pretty minor.

Didn't McKnight get called for excessive celebrating this season? I remember it being pretty minor.

Yeah, at Michigan State, pretty sure he just pumped his fist in the air or chest bumped a teammate. Marcus Jones also got a stupid one called earlier in the season. I remember watching the replay, the announcers sounded like they almost felt sorry for him, because Jones hardly did anything.

Marcus Jones' was a bad call.

McKnight flat out spiked the ball after the 1st quarter fade TD....was completely 100% called correctly. It was almost as if he knew the instant he did it that he was going to get a penalty.

That is the kind of stuff this rule was meant to flag. Its the first rule of a judgement call rule. I imagine they will become more consistent with this rule as it is in place longer.

I don't mind fist-pumping or ball-spiking. Anything above that I believe to be excessive. And yes, I am a crabby old guy.

Marcus Jones' was a bad call.

McKnight flat out spiked the ball after the 1st quarter fade TD....was completely 100% called correctly. It was almost as if he knew the instant he did it that he was going to get a penalty.

That's right. I was getting the two mixed up. I don't have a problem with the McKnight thing.

Like usual, the problem is how inconsistent refs are. Some call it, some don't.

Complete lack of consistency. This came up earlier in the year. Kid from PSU returned a kickoff down to like the opponent's 5 before getting pushed out of bounds. Flipped the ball into the air and got called for unsportsmanlike conduct. I turned the channel and not 30 seconds later, a DB from South Carolina picked off a pass and threw the ball into the air. No call.

I think the rule is stupid. Spiking the ball, simply saluting or pointing at the crowd or anything like that should NOT be excessive celebration. And the idea of a rule to go straight to the official and give him the ball is in my opinion ridiculous. Football is such an emotionally charged game and scoring a touchdown calls for some sort of celebration.

If I were to guess, the NCAA board or commisioner or whoever makes the big time decisions doesn't want games to be decided by this call. They've been under heat ever since the rule was put in place. The message to the refs this bowl season - It's gotta be retardedly (no offense) excessive to warrant the flag.

Top Bottom